Windstar just cancelled the Star Breeze July 3rd sailing

sail2day

I just received an e-mail from Windstar today cancelling the July 3rd sailing that I was booked on. This is after they sent me an e-mail last Wednesday telling that that everything was fine with my sailing. The cruise line dropped the ball on this. 

15 hours ago, sail2day said:

I just received an e-mail from Windstar today cancelling the July 3rd sailing that I was booked on. This is after they sent me an e-mail last Wednesday telling that that everything was fine with my sailing. The cruise line dropped the ball on this. 

As it turned out, it was the vaccine that caused the problem - Windstar was to have had sufficient supply to vaccinate their remaining crew in St. Maarten, but it did not come. Windstar has now made arrangements to sail to San Juan after current sailing disembarks and allowing the 2 weeks for the crew to be fully vaccinated, necessitating cancellation of June 26 & July 3 sailings to be cancelled.

I understand your disappointment, but vaccinations in foreign countries are in limited supply. It is not really Windstar's fault.

Edited by Mimi A
  • Like 2

Anyone help me with this? If Windstar know that the crew needs two weeks to build immunity, shouldn’t they have know they had a problem on JUNE 12th That’s the day the 14 day immunity clock starts if the crew were to be full immunized by June 26th

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Nearpost345 said:

Anyone help me with this? If Windstar know that the crew needs two weeks to build immunity, shouldn’t they have know they had a problem on JUNE 12th That’s the day the 14 day immunity clock starts if the crew were to be full immunized by June 26th

Yes, that is correct. Windstar knew last week when I e-mailed them on June 16th that their crew was not vaccinated and did not have immunity. Royal and Celebrity had their entire crew vaccinated prior to the beginning of their cruses from foreign ports, ie St. Maarten and Nassau.

It is obvious that Windstar did not plan well for the beginning of their operations in St. Maarten. The Star Breeze arrived in St. Maarten 10 days before their first cruise. They could have taken a trip to San Juan earlier and vaccinated their crew.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, sail2day said:

Yes, that is correct. Windstar knew last week when I e-mailed them on June 16th that their crew was not vaccinated and did not have immunity. Royal and Celebrity had their entire crew vaccinated prior to the beginning of their cruses from foreign ports, ie St. Maarten and Nassau.

It is obvious that Windstar did not plan well for the beginning of their operations in St. Maarten. The Star Breeze arrived in St. Maarten 10 days before their first cruise. They could have taken a trip to San Juan earlier and vaccinated their crew.

I completely agree. The Star Breeze left Lisbon on May 31 and arrived in St. Maarten on June 9.  They could have made a stop in San Juan (or somewhere else) for the crew to get vaccinated.  Windstar really failed us here. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Nearpost345 said:

Yep. I wrote a lengthy post about my frustrations and disagreement that it's not WS's fault. Then deleted it because I didn't want a debate to ensue. They had options and chose to fly(sail) by the seat of their pants. Other lines have done it so I'll just keep it at that. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FLbeachbaby said:

Yep. I wrote a lengthy post about my frustrations and disagreement that it's not WS's fault. Then deleted it because I didn't want a debate to ensue. They had options and chose to fly(sail) by the seat of their pants. Other lines have done it so I'll just keep it at that.

This is also how I feel looking back on the asbestos debacle.  'Due diligence' should have known about that issue before they planned the time frame for the drydock.  Windstar seems to have a lot of 'oops' moments...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

This is also how I feel looking back on the asbestos debacle.  'Due diligence' should have known about that issue before they planned the time frame for the drydock.  Windstar seems to have a lot of 'oops' moments...

It seems amazing that 18 months ago (almost to the day) my cruise on the Breeze, her inaugural trans Atlantic was cancelled (although not as last-minute, but after final payment despite me specifically having my TA question WS about the asbestos.)  Here we are, still talking about cancelled first cruises by the Breeze. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, CanadianKate said:

It seems amazing that 18 months ago (almost to the day) my cruise on the Breeze, her inaugural trans Atlantic was cancelled (although not as last-minute, but after final payment despite me specifically having my TA question WS about the asbestos.)  Here we are, still talking about cancelled first cruises by the Breeze. 

I've been trying to contact Windstar to no avail. I just want to know when they will refund me for my excursions and my cruise fare. 

As first time WS cruiser (but experienced luxury cruisers) we have as yet to be impressed .  This vaccine problem definitely should have been handled weeks ago.  The fact that no one onboard seems to know what is going on doesn’t exactly relieve anxiety.  

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, cabosal1 said:

As first time WS cruiser (but experienced luxury cruisers) we have as yet to be impressed .  This vaccine problem definitely should have been handled weeks ago.  The fact that no one onboard seems to know what is going on doesn’t exactly relieve anxiety.  

Have they provided any info yet on your refund for the "free" cruise? 

52 minutes ago, cabosal1 said:

I am scheduled to be a first time WS cruiser as well. Also lots of cruising experience. If WS does not make this right for you and the subsequent disappointed cruisers I will not be partaking in their cruise. This could have been me. How they handle things for you is a direct reflection of how I might be treated. I will say much like restaurant reviews, everything is subjective and I often disagree with someone's opinion as our tastes may be different. But, if general transparency, honesty, due diligence and making this right for all of you in a manner that is fair does not take place, I am out. If they have misrepresented your cruise experience and not communicated that, I am truly sorry for you all. Their start up faux pas is on them. Please keep us up date.

• Like 1

I can tell you that Windstar has not been responsive to me. I have called the customer service number non-stop since yesterday and I have yet to receive a call back. This is unacceptable.  My cruise for July 3rd was cancelled and I am trying to ascertain if Windstar will reimburse my airfare purchased through them. Also when will my shore excursions be credited to my credit card. 

This is contact no for their PR dept

tel 206-733-2970

PR@WindstarCruises.com

Also the ceo

Chris.Prelog@WindstarCruises.com

If you can write a courteous but embarrassing (for them) account of your experience you may get a response.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Nearpost345 said:

This is contact no for their PR dept

tel 206-733-2970

PR@WindstarCruises.com

Also the ceo

Chris.Prelog@WindstarCruises.com

If you can write a courteous but embarrassing (for them) account of your experience you may get a response.

Thanks! I just wrote them an e-mail.

Hello all. This is your Windstar PR person here - Sarah. Reading through your posts. Understand the frustration here. Cancelling close-in sailings is tough. But I would like to provide some insights on this for you. We have always said we would have the crew vaccinated as soon as it is available to them. We have been working for months now to source vaccine for crew aboard our ships. It's incredibly complicated. We've had success in Tahiti, Greece and now Italy. The Caribbean has been a tough nut to crack. Some countries simply don't have as much vaccine. And there are rules as to who they can give it to. Policies also change quickly. The BVIs put out their requirements for a fully vaccinated component of guests and crew only a few weeks ago. We will always comply with each country's requirements. And that's what we are doing now. After much work, San Juan has just notified us of a J&J vaccine supply available for our crew, so we will go there next week to inoculate the crew. Unfortunately, that means we must now cancel two cruises. Our team has contacted all affected guests and travel advisors. 

I'm on the Star Breeze now. I can't tell you how nice she looks. And the food is amazing. Star Grill and Cuadro 44 will impress you. I love Spanish tapas so that's a highlight for me. If you like steak, then don't miss Candles. The Star Grill recipes from Steven Raichlen are to die for - house smoked pastrami is crazy good plus the brisket. I will have to post some photos soon.

The crew is so happy to be back!  We are starting up our fleet in phases. Wind Star is successfully sailing in the Greek Isles this week. Wind Surf starts up next. Here's the schedule:

Wind Spirit – July 15

Wind Surf – Aug 8

Legend – Sept 4

Pride – Nov 3

I'll try to check in and answer more questions. I am super busy on board with writers (look for articles), a photographer and a video crew. We'll have new visuals for you very soon. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Windstar Cruises said:

Hello all. This is your Windstar PR person here - Sarah. Reading through your posts. Understand the frustration here.

Thank you Sarah for taking the time to respond.  While I am on neither of the cruises cancelled, I am on the one following.  The 10th.  I have to say, and I believe everyone would agree, this has been a roller coaster ride for passengers and WindStar management.  Just understanding the Covid testing required to visit St. Marrten is stressful.  Right now, we plan on taking the cruise on the 10th, but if the vaccines do not happen in San Juan we will NEED to cancel, not really WANT to cancel, but need.  My husband will not at this point and time go on a cruise where not 100% are inoculated.

Again, thank you for your reply.  Here is hoping to better days ahead for EVERYONE.

1 hour ago, Windstar Cruises said:

Hello all. This is your Windstar PR person here - Sarah. Reading through your posts. Understand the frustration here. Cancelling close-in sailings is tough. But I would like to provide some insights on this for you. We have always said we would have the crew vaccinated as soon as it is available to them. We have been working for months now to source vaccine for crew aboard our ships. It's incredibly complicated. We've had success in Tahiti, Greece and now Italy. The Caribbean has been a tough nut to crack. Some countries simply don't have as much vaccine. And there are rules as to who they can give it to. Policies also change quickly. The BVIs put out their requirements for a fully vaccinated component of guests and crew only a few weeks ago. We will always comply with each country's requirements. And that's what we are doing now. After much work, San Juan has just notified us of a J&J vaccine supply available for our crew, so we will go there next week to inoculate the crew. Unfortunately, that means we must now cancel two cruises. Our team has contacted all affected guests and travel advisors. 

I'm on the Star Breeze now. I can't tell you how nice she looks. And the food is amazing. Star Grill and Cuadro 44 will impress you. I love Spanish tapas so that's a highlight for me. If you like steak, then don't miss Candles. The Star Grill recipes from Steven Raichlen are to die for - house smoked pastrami is crazy good plus the brisket. I will have to post some photos soon.

The crew is so happy to be back!  We are starting up our fleet in phases. Wind Star is successfully sailing in the Greek Isles this week. Wind Surf starts up next. Here's the schedule:

Wind Spirit – July 15

Wind Surf – Aug 8

Legend – Sept 4

Pride – Nov 3

I'll try to check in and answer more questions. I am super busy on board with writers (look for articles), a photographer and a video crew. We'll have new visuals for you very soon. 

Sarah,

The cancellation of my cruise is just part of the problem. The much more important issue is the lack of customer service. The only communication I had from Windstar was an email this past Monday notifying me that the July 3rd sailing was cancelled. I proceeded to call Windstar Tuesday and Wednesday in order to obtain further information on my airfare reimbursement that was purchased through Windstar. I have called multiple times and have yet to receive a call back. Communication is an important element in customer service. I’ve had none with Windstar.