Silversea For Solo Traveler

Shawski

I am interested in booking  a Mediterranean cruise on Dawn for next April. I’ve been on Whisper in the past and enjoyed it but I was traveling with my late husband. This would be my first solo cruise and I’m wondering how Silversea is for solo travelers. I’m a bit concerned about the lack of a main dining room on Dawn. If I’m dining at other restaurants will there be an opportunity to join other travelers as there typically is in a main dining room?

Thanks for your help. 

Every evening (as I recall) there is a pre-dinner get-together over cocktails for solo guests.  It is generally hosted by a gregarious crew member.  Groups of solo guests often form at that event and go off together for dinner.   There is of course no obligation to join the group for dinner.

Atlantide is equivalent to the MDR/Restaurant.  I am certain one could ask the maitre d' if there are any tables where another person might join.

In any case, one will meet lots of other guests on tours, at trivia, around the pool, etc. 

Hi,🙂 I am a solo cruiser and will be happy to let you know how it goes on The Moon. I believe she has those same venues as Dawn.   I enjoy dining with others as well and would think they would offer the tables in Atlantide for a group (as Observer mentioned).  

I have enjoyed those dinners on Whisper and Spirit in their main dining room too. 

And yes, they offer cocktails for those solo cruisers who would like to attend.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Observer said:

Atlantide is equivalent to the MDR/Restaurant.  

Examining the deck plan for Silver Muse, the question kept reoccurring in my mind:  is there a MDR?  Where does Indochine fit into the plethora of dining venues?  Is it also a MDR type of restaurant?  

Maybe if there was a detailed hard copy of a brochure about Silverseas, my concerns would be addressed!  

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

Examining the deck plan for Silver Muse, the question kept reoccurring in my mind:  is there a MDR?  Where does Indochine fit into the plethora of dining venues?  Is it also a MDR type of restaurant?  

Maybe if there was a detailed hard copy of a brochure about Silverseas, my concerns would be addressed!  

There is no MDR per se.  However, for all practical purposes Atlantide is indistinguishable from a traditional MDR.  It is open seating with white tablecloths and elegant crockery, etc.  And it offers a large variety of entrees, starters, desserts, certainly more than in a traditional MDR.  However, the very large menu does not change from day to day.

Indochine is also open seating.  Its menu is not as large as that in Atlantide, and it changes more frequently.  It focusses of course on Asian cuisine.

We might be more helpful if you could explain what you mean by "an MDR type of restaurant."

I thought it was possible to download brochures from the Silversea homepage:  

https://www.silversea.com/brochures.html

Edited by Observer
  • Like 1

On 6/22/2021 at 7:06 PM, Observer said:

I thought it was possible to download brochures from the Silversea homepage:  

I appreciate your reply.  Yes, the download is available.  Why should I spend money on ink and paper to receive a company's marketing tool when that is what the company's marketing department ought to be doing?  Even when I have done such downloads, the results have been less than satisfying to me in comparison to the hard copy brochures that had been produced by cruise lines.  

On 6/22/2021 at 7:06 PM, Observer said:

We might be more helpful if you could explain what you mean by "an MDR type of restaurant."

Your description of Atlantiide is close to what I am meaning by a "MDR type restaurant".  If the menu does not change daily is not encouraging news for me, however.  A HAL MDR menu changes daily, while there are the "Always Available" items from which I rarely order.  

If you were a first time guest on Silverseas, which dining venue would you choose for your first dinner aboard?  

I appreciate your reply.  Yes, the download is available.  Why should I spend money on ink and paper to receive a company's marketing tool when that is what the company's marketing department ought to be doing?  Even when I have done such downloads, the results have been less than satisfying to me in comparison to the hard copy brochures that had been produced by cruise lines.  

I am certain you can request a hard copy via your TA or a Silversea rep.  Many people complain about receiving unwanted marketing materials from cruise lines.  I have turned off all such mailings.

Your description of Atlantiide is close to what I am meaning by a "MDR type restaurant".  If the menu does not change daily is not encouraging news for me, however.  A HAL MDR menu changes daily, while there are the "Always Available" items from which I rarely order.  

The menu is far larger than what one would find in a conventional MDR, and it is tweaked during the cruise.  There are lots of choices!  And one can order items from the (large) room service menu while in Atlantide (occasionally I want only a burger or large salad as my entree.)

If you were a first time guest on Silverseas, which dining venue would you choose for your first dinner aboard?  

Actually, I would (and often do) have my first dinner on the pool deck at The Grill.  I am often a bit grubby and tired on embarkation day, having been unpacking (though the butler will do that on request), attending muster drill, etc.  The Grill is the most casual restaurant on the ship. One can dine in shorts (as I occasionally do).  And it's fun with good food.

• Like 1

Observer, great replies. I would also like to say, they are really good about making something even if it is not on the menu......not saying I do that often but there has been a time or 2 where i saw something on the menu but I wanted it tweaked.......they are very accommodating about special requests.  

If the menu does not change daily is not encouraging news for me, however. 

Here is a link to an Atlantide menu.  It's a few years old, but it closely resembles that on my last pre-Covid cruise.'

https://documentcloud.adobe.com/link/track?uri=urn%3Aaaid%3Ascds%3AUS%3Ad988b420-0ccd-4219-a753-1720fc2a7fba#pageNum=1

As Lois R. pointed out, they will tweak items on menu and prepare dishes off menu if they have ingredients onboard and you give them 24 hours notice with maitre d'.

1 hour ago, Observer said:

Here is a link to an Atlantide menu.  It's a few years old, but it closely resembles that on my last pre-Covid cruise.'

https://documentcloud.adobe.com/link/track?uri=urn%3Aaaid%3Ascds%3AUS%3Ad988b420-0ccd-4219-a753-1720fc2a7fba#pageNum=1

As Lois R. pointed out, they will tweak items on menu and prepare dishes off menu if they have ingredients onboard and you give them 24 hours notice with maitre d'.

Thanks for that menu........it looks so good (to me).  Will definitely be dining here in 2 weeks😃