Travel insurance provided by travel agent.

45 minutes ago, rervousneck said:

I got quotes from competing agents and one of the companies offers travel insurance by Travel insured. It is included as part of their quote.

Anyone have any experience with this Insurance offered by 

I think a better question is what does it cover. Policies vary greatly. Have you read it?

Edited by Babr

54 minutes ago, rervousneck said:

I got quotes from competing agents and one of the companies offers travel insurance by Travel insured. It is included as part of their quote.

Anyone have any experience with this Insurance offered by crown.

Impossible to say. The devil is in the details. I have a thread about following my claim. I recently stayed at an all inclusive at RIU and they included  what sounded like a medical insurance policy. My wife fell and required an ER visit. Because in the heat of the moment and the anxiousness of the situation, I failed to call the insurance company and get permission to go to the hospital. My $3600 claim was denied.

9 hours ago, klfrodo said:

Impossible to say. The devil is in the details. I have a thread about following my claim. I recently stayed at an all inclusive at RIU and they included  what sounded like a medical insurance policy. My wife fell and required an ER visit. Because in the heat of the moment and the anxiousness of the situation, I failed to call the insurance company and get permission to go to the hospital. My $3600 claim was denied.

Wow! If she needed to go she had to go. That is some really bad insurance.

The policy looks ok, and I will also have Medjet.

21 hours ago, klfrodo said:

What you say applies to all insurance policies.  The time to carefully read a policy is prior to purchasing.  "Travel Insurance" is a general term with no real/legal meaning.   For folks who do not want to take the time to read the details they are best advised to find themselves a decent travel insurance broker (not a travel agent) who specializes in the industry.

Hank

• Like 1

Most times when you purchase an insurance policy online you will not get a copy to review before hitting "BUY". 

Some states have a 30-day "free look", where you can review your coverages for 30-days and cancel with full refund if you don't like it. Of course if you cancel you may have timing issues with your next policy with regards to the pre-existing conditions waiver.

IMO I would rather talk to a real human (on the phone) about which policy to purchase based on my specific needs. A travel agent (may be licensed), but I would avoid buy insurance from them. Their primary job is to sell you the trip, which is their expertise. Insurance is just extra $ and C-their-A. 

Edited by Philob

5 hours ago, Philob said:

Most times when you purchase an insurance policy online you will not get a copy to review before hitting "BUY". 

Some states have a 30-day "free look", where you can review your coverages for 30-days and cancel with full refund if you don't like it. Of course if you cancel you may have timing issues with your next policy with regards to the pre-existing conditions waiver.

IMO I would rather talk to a real human (on the phone) about which policy to purchase based on my specific needs. A travel agent (may be licensed), but I would avoid buy insurance from them. Their primary job is to sell you the trip, which is their expertise. Insurance is just extra $ and C-their-A. 

Dealing with a reputable broker is the best plan. Not only can he help pick a policy that meets your needs, he is also there to help navigate the process of filing a claim if that becomes necessary.

However, it is not true that you can’t see the policy until after purchase. I don’t know where you’ve been shopping, but major websites that sell trip insurance have search features that let you refine your search by need and compare policies, not just summaries, actual certificates with all the details. You have to follow the links, and it may not be obvious at first, but it is there.

All that I’ve seen also have examination periods after purchase that allow for cancellation and refund, but you don’t have to go through all that. Perhaps you are thinking of homeowners or car insurance. I have not had a problem examining travel policies on line.

On 6/26/2021 at 10:06 AM, Philob said:

Hi Philob,

> Most times when you purchase an insurance policy online you will not get a copy to review before hitting "BUY". 

I don't know why any company would do this. We make all the policy wordings available because it's the right thing to do.

Steve Dasseos

Edited by iamtrustworthy

On 6/27/2021 at 12:49 PM, iamtrustworthy said:

Hi Philob,

> Most times when you purchase an insurance policy online you will not get a copy to review before hitting "BUY". 

I don't know why any company would do this. We make all the policy wordings available because it's the right thing to do.

Steve Dasseos

Steve, We have seen this for ourselves and find it somewhat shocking.  We both know that when it comes to insurance the devil is truly in the details (i.e.fine print and definitions) which is not always available prior to purchase (and sometimes not easily found after purchase).  While I do not generally like to see the government getting in the mix, we do think there is the need for a Federal Law mandating full policy disclosure prior to purchase.  Leaving it to 50 States (each with their own Laws and insurance regulatory agencies) is very inefficient and not in the consumer's best interest.  I am not sure our country has done ourselves good by allowing each State to promulgate their own insurance regulations.  While I personally identify as somewhat of a libertarian most consumers simply do not have the time, patience, and knowledge to fully understand insurance policies.  To say that Travel Insurance is a "minefield" is to understate the problem.

Hank

I have long implored my friends not to buy any insurance unless they first read the detail policy language or lean on a decent insurance broker to interpret the details.  

On 6/29/2021 at 9:38 PM, Hlitner said:

Steve, We have seen this for ourselves and find it somewhat shocking.  We both know that when it comes to insurance the devil is truly in the details (i.e.fine print and definitions) which is not always available prior to purchase (and sometimes not easily found after purchase).  While I do not generally like to see the government getting in the mix, we do think there is the need for a Federal Law mandating full policy disclosure prior to purchase.  Leaving it to 50 States (each with their own Laws and insurance regulatory agencies) is very inefficient and not in the consumer's best interest.  I am not sure our country has done ourselves good by allowing each State to promulgate their own insurance regulations.  While I personally identify as somewhat of a libertarian most consumers simply do not have the time, patience, and knowledge to fully understand insurance policies.  To say that Travel Insurance is a "minefield" is to understate the problem.

Hank

I have long implored my friends not to buy any insurance unless they first read the detail policy language or lean on a decent insurance broker to interpret the details.  

Hi Hank,

> To say that Travel Insurance is a "minefield" is to understate the problem.

Yes it is. That's why I have over 500 pages, including my Blog.

Steve