Britannia test cruise

molecrochip

Yesterday, P&O ran their government mandated 'operational test cruise' on Britannia.

Attached are Horizon and the MDR breakfast menu to give you a flavour of some of the changes. Worth noting that entertainment was limited as the weather was awful and the ship did not leave the dock.

Scan_2021-06-22_1950.pdf Scan_2021-06-22_1953.pdf

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

Yesterday, P&O ran their government mandated 'operational test cruise' on Britannia.

Attached are Horizon and the MDR breakfast menu to give you a flavour of some of the changes. Worth noting that entertainment was limited as the weather was awful and the ship did not leave the dock.

Scan_2021-06-22_1950.pdf 3.93 MB · 4 downloads Scan_2021-06-22_1953.pdf 671.82 kB · 0 downloads

Interesting.Thank you.

A few comments about slow service but that is not unusual when you have a large rotation of staff.  Its worth remembering that bar staff and galley staff have new procedures to follow also.

Yesterday was about getting things right rather than getting things quick.... that will come with practice.

• Like 12

Oh yes not a criticism from me.  They said procedures were good and they felt very safe. Thank you for posting it was good to see the 4 sailaway options.  
Have daily specials disappeared from the MDR breakfast menu? DH will be very pleased if Eggs  Benedict is available daily. 

1 minute ago, Pink-belle said:

Oh yes not a criticism from me.  They said procedures were good and they felt very safe. Thank you for posting it was good to see the 4 sailaway options.  
Have daily specials disappeared from the MDR breakfast menu? DH will be very pleased if Eggs  Benedict is available daily. 

The  most popular of the daily specials are now incorporated into the menu. Eggs Benedict and Oak Smoked Salmon with scrambled eggs.

Previous menu https://www.pocruises.com/content/dam/po/inventory-assets/activity-types/dining/dining-menus/main-dining/breakfast/Breakfast Fleet POC May 17.pdf

You'll notice omelettes are missing. Led to believe that with restricted seating available, they are trying to offer a more prompt breakfast service therefore the items that need to be specially prepared and take longer may have disappeared. Obviously dietary requirements will still be accommodated.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

The  most popular of the daily specials are now incorporated into the menu. Eggs Benedict and Oak Smoked Salmon with scrambled egg

Was just saying to the wife, that’s handy I can order scrambled eggs on toast with salmon.

Thanks for the update, most welcome to see a ‘new’ horizon.

Any info on possible changes to the cost or limits to the drinks package, as have seen elsewhere some of the previously included cocktails are now out of the package?

9 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

The  most popular of the daily specials are now incorporated into the menu. Eggs Benedict and Oak Smoked Salmon with scrambled eggs.

Previous menu https://www.pocruises.com/content/dam/po/inventory-assets/activity-types/dining/dining-menus/main-dining/breakfast/Breakfast Fleet POC May 17.pdf

You'll notice omelettes are missing. Led to believe that with restricted seating available, they are trying to offer a more prompt breakfast service therefore the items that need to be specially prepared and take longer may have disappeared. Obviously dietary requirements will still be accommodated.

That’s good news, I wouldn’t have missed the omelettes if you hadn’t said, and that’s what I used to order.  😏 to be honest I’ll be very happy with sourdough toast and jam.  So excited for Sunday.

• Like 2

Can I echo what others have said. At present, drinks bought on the staycations are subject to UK taxes and therefore some of the prices are higher. I believe the soft drink levy applies to full fat drinks etc.

These initial cruises are not long enough for a drinks package to be available so I would wait and see what the prices are like when we get to late September.

Edited by molecrochip
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

These initial cruises are not long enough for a drinks package to be available so I would wait and see what the prices are like when we get to late September.

Curious as we are booked on Iona’s maiden, and being a 7 night cruise the drinks package is available to buy, and not too far away now.

i did notice the Corona I normally drink on board is only 10p dearer than when I last sailed November 2019

Edited by jaydee6969
  • Like 1

Just now, jaydee6969 said:

Curious as we are booked on Iona’s maiden, and being a 7 night cruise the drinks package is available to buy, and not too far away now.

I forgot that Iona was doing 7 day cruises (and Britannia in September). The UK taxes point still applies.

• Like 1

For those worried that there would be intrusive social distancing signage everywhere, hopefully this gives an indication that P&O have gone for the subtle approach.

Generally if you were sat down in a bar, no masks where required. A couple of people were reminded about wearing masks but it was very politely done by the crew.

1748511217_IMG_6969(002).thumb.jpeg.8c5a4102722822e3e06cea7ee98ce43f.jpeg

• Like 11

5 minutes ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

Did Britannia only do freedom dining before covid or is it a change since?  

Britannia did Traditional and Freedom.  Iona is the only ship billed as all Freedom dining. 
im guessing less people on board is allowing them to just have open restaurants.

• Thanks 1

Although I'm not going on a 'staycation' cruise, thanks for this, very interesting.

I do hope daily Eggs Benedict survives a return to normality - I wouldn't have to remember it is Monday then 😀.

I noticed on Horizon that the dress code was described as "Dress to Impress - a hybrid of dress up and smart casual". Do you have any idea of whether this is specific to the 'staycation' cruises or if it is a more permanent change?...

12 minutes ago, Britboys said:

Although I'm not going on a 'staycation' cruise, thanks for this, very interesting.

I do hope daily Eggs Benedict survives a return to normality - I wouldn't have to remember it is Monday then 😀.

I noticed on Horizon that the dress code was described as "Dress to Impress - a hybrid of dress up and smart casual". Do you have any idea of whether this is specific to the 'staycation' cruises or if it is a more permanent change?...

With regard to dress codes, the Formal night will now be called the Celebration night. This is where dress codes will apply in the MDR etc. I believe they will still average 2 per week on all ships except Iona which is 1 per week.

Dress to impress seemed to be a catch-all category for the test cruise. I'm not sure whether this will become a staple feature but essentially its smart casual and above.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, molecrochip said:

The menu does say omlettes to order and give four options, so a bit confused.  I do not see any kippers of smoked haddock though that DH often orders if we have time.

5 minutes ago, tring said:

The menu does say omlettes to order and give four options, so a bit confused.  I do not see any kippers of smoked haddock though that DH often orders if we have time.

Kippers and Smoked Haddock are there in the "English Breakfast Favourites" section Barbara. I'm not a fan of Kippers but do enjoy Smoked Haddock with a Poached Egg...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Britboys said:

Kippers and Smoked Haddock are there in the "English Breakfast Favourites" section Barbara. I'm not a fan of Kippers but do enjoy Smoked Haddock with a Poached Egg...

Oops, so they are, must be a bad day!  Thanks.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Pink-belle said:

Britannia did Traditional and Freedom.  Iona is the only ship billed as all Freedom dining. 
im guessing less people on board is allowing them to just have open restaurants.

I think Iona will not have traditional dining even when things return to 'normal' All the main dining rooms will be freedom

15 minutes ago, davecttr said:

I think Iona will not have traditional dining even when things return to 'normal' All the main dining rooms will be freedom

Iona was never going to have TD, regardless of CV19.