How does PCR testing work for unvaccinated children under 12?

Booked a LA cruise with Royal in December so I think situation may change (for lesser restrictions...?) by that time.

But hypothetically speaking, right now, if we are 2 full vaxed adults with a child under 12 (can't be vax'd), what process/when/how much cost for the child under 12 to do PCR tests? I'm not worried about ourselves as adults (and i believe it's paid for/included as well for us), just want to gauge how many times my child has to go through the uncomfortable tests to prep her. Can't seem to find this information clearly online... if anyone could send me that would be great.

Thanks!

Edited by fuc847

If you live in the US, you can test at Walgreen or CVS for free. They provide the required PCR test. At least in our experience at Walgreens, we stayed in our car and self-administered the tests. It's a nasal swab just inside the nose and doesn't go all the way up. Swab 15 secs in each nostril and you're done. I gave the test to my children. Easy. The tests were 100% free. I received the results 25 hours from testing. 

By December, the USA could have the vaccine approved for children down to 5 years old by then. Pfizer is still targeting to have the results to the FDA/CDC by the end of September.

But as far as the PCR test, depending on the company making the test, it could require swabbing deeper in the nasal cavity.

41 minutes ago, fuc847 said:

Booked a LA cruise with Royal in December so I think situation may change (for lesser restrictions...?) by that time.

But hypothetically speaking, right now, if we are 2 full vaxed adults with a child under 12 (can't be vax'd), what process/when/how much cost for the child under 12 to do PCR tests? I'm not worried about ourselves as adults (and i believe it's paid for/included as well for us), just want to gauge how many times my child has to go through the uncomfortable tests to prep her. Can't seem to find this information clearly online... if anyone could send me that would be great.

Thanks!

Most PCR testing now days is a swab at the entrance to the nose.  I can't guarantee this for the test center you go to. But I have had about a half dozen PCR tests for travel and medical procedures. You may want to talk to the test centers to verify the process. 

My local warehouse store (starts with a "c") sells a saliva PCR home test good for travel to Hawaii and the Bahamas. 

Onboard the ship, if testing is required, they are using a antigen rapid test that is also a shallow nasal swab at the entrance to the nose. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, fuc847 said:

ok thanks, we're in canada . but what about DURING the cruise?

For children under the age of vaccine requirement there will be no cost for testing at the pier or on board.  If they have reduced the age by then and your child isn't vaccinated then it may cost you right now the cost is about $140 for the tests, not each.

2 hours ago, twinmommy08 said:

If you live in the US, you can test at Walgreen or CVS for free. They provide the required PCR test. At least in our experience at Walgreens, we stayed in our car and self-administered the tests. It's a nasal swab just inside the nose and doesn't go all the way up. Swab 15 secs in each nostril and you're done. I gave the test to my children. Easy. The tests were 100% free. I received the results 25 hours from testing. 

We were in Florida and needed a PCR test to get into Canada, it was free at Walgreens drive thru

2 hours ago, fuc847 said:

does anyone know if the tests done onboard (or at pier) are PCR (required for proof for flights)  or , at least for royal?

Royal Caribbean schedules the mid cruise antigen test to correspond to the 72 hour before flights rule. It also corresponded to Bahamian requirements.

We received printed copies of our test results the day after we took the tests. Along with the test results, we also received a Health Attestation to complete for re-entry to the United States. It is a very easy process.