Sushi Making Class

My teens did the class on Ovation in 2019. They enjoyed it and have a nice lunch. Some ships have allowed people to take leftovers back to your stateroom.  but on our sailing they did not and they weren't able to eat all of it (though they said the put a big dent in it!). We had made sushi at home before going on that trip and my oldest works at a Japanese restaurant and while she isn't a sushi chef she does sometimes make sushi for herself to consume at work (and brings it home for us if we are lucky!) 

I'm not sure how much they actually learned in the class, but they had fun and enjoyed it. Both would do it again and my youngest would also love to get a chance to try it out. 

• Like 1

I loved this class. My mom,79, went with me and she enjoyed it as well.  Well worth the money.  Many have said they couldn't possibly eat all the sushi they made...not my experience, I ate it all and enjoyed every bit.  I don't have any sushi making skills, and didn't really take the class for that...I suppose had that been my goal I'd have been more focused on learning instead of eating 🙂

• Like 1

I went through a period making sushi  for myself.  My wife really doesn’t like it.  I once made one up with marmalade and she liked it.

This sounds more like a time to enjoy watching how it is made then enjoying a nice lunch.   Thanks for the insight.

Loved the class on Allure several years ago.  They wouldn't allow us to take the sushi from the restaurant, so I ate it all, (and not much dinner later that night!)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

This sounds more like a time to enjoy watching how it is made then enjoying a nice lunch.   Thanks for the insight.

Yes, you do make your own to consume, it isn't made for you. I didn't do the class myself but I popped by to take a few pictures and the sushi chef was giving a demonstration. If I remember correctly the fish was all pre sliced and the rice was pre made, so the sushi making was just putting the ingredients together, rolling and slicing the rolls.  I don't know if there was any instruction before I snapped my pictures. So I would say it is a basic class with some enjoyable sushi afterwards. 

• Like 1

We did this class on Anthem and had a blast! So much sushi leftover  and we were allowed to take it back to our cabin. Great snacks for later that afternoon. 
Lots of fun and well worth the money. I’d definitely do this again!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

It’s sounding more tempting.  Maybe I can do this while wife makes cupcakes.  

Cupcake class is fun, and you're more likely to actually learn something😉

20210629_204457.thumb.jpg.c586b7c7f7273f71dbed97126e74b200.jpg

• Like 5

We were really. hoping to do this but my daughter is too young for vaccination. Something to look forward to another time. I have heard that the end of the class is a good time for friends to come meet up with you (to finish the sushi), and had heard that you aren't supposed to take it with you- maybe that has changed. 

Have fun!

Our cupcake class was a complete bust on Ovation. Just bags of icing and bowls of candy put on the table and zero instruction. Plus there were way too many people, they kept having to find more tables. I got the impression people showed up that were signed up, since they were just writing down names and stateroom numbers. It was a bit chaotic. I had paid for 4 of us so it was a decent enough chunk of money. It was my one and only complaint to guest services. I did get refunded and the kids did enjoy the cupcakes so it wasn't a complete loss. I do feel strongly that this is not typical of the experience though. I would give it another try. 

20 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

If you have participated in the Sushi Making Class while on board, how was your experience.  Once you where back home did you still have sushi skills?

Have done the sushi making class a few times. It was fun.  As to my sushi skills???  Better for me to call Grub Hub for delivery!😉

• Like 1

I have done the sushi making class on Oasis. I called and asked if I could bring my husband along as my eater and they said that was fine:) The class was a lot of fun and we made LOTS of food!!! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 3monkeys4me said:

Our cupcake class was a complete bust on Ovation. Just bags of icing and bowls of candy put on the table and zero instruction. Plus there were way too many people, they kept having to find more tables. I got the impression people showed up that were signed up, since they were just writing down names and stateroom numbers. It was a bit chaotic. I had paid for 4 of us so it was a decent enough chunk of money. It was my one and only complaint to guest services. I did get refunded and the kids did enjoy the cupcakes so it wasn't a complete loss. I do feel strongly that this is not typical of the experience though. I would give it another try. 

To be fair, we were on Allure TA. Almost no kids. I can't recall ever seeing anyone else take the classes.

I do regret not taking sushi and guac classes because they would have been complimentary for us

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

To be fair, we were on Allure TA. Almost no kids. I can't recall ever seeing anyone else take the classes.

I do regret not taking sushi and guac classes because they would have been complimentary for us

That may be a difference in the experience. Our sailing had an insane amount of kids, many of them were at the cupcake class unsupervised so that led to the eating candy from the dishes and dispensing the icing directly into their mouths. The crew just couldn't get a handle on them and there were way more people than they had originally planned for. They were scrambling for more cupcakes as people were showing up. 

I'd still give it another go on another sailing but it wasn't at all what I was hoping for. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rajacks said:

I'm wondering if the experience with the sushi class is different on ships with Izumi vs. those without.  Any insight on this?

Ruth

Good question.  If there was no Izumi then some would do it just to eat sushi. I didn’t know they had sushi classes on ships that didn’t have Izumi.

• Like 1

On 7/1/2021 at 10:03 PM, rajacks said:

I'm wondering if the experience with the sushi class is different on ships with Izumi vs. those without.  Any insight on this?

Ruth

We did it on the Empress in 2017, and there certainly was no Izumi on her. They set us up in the lounge. We had a ball. 

All the ingredients were prepped and pretty much laid out. It was just a matter of assembling the rolls, cutting them, and eating. Plenty of laughing, too. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. 

• Like 1

On 7/6/2021 at 7:08 PM, DCPIV said:

We did it on the Empress in 2017, and there certainly was no Izumi on her. They set us up in the lounge. We had a ball. 

All the ingredients were prepped and pretty much laid out. It was just a matter of assembling the rolls, cutting them, and eating. Plenty of laughing, too. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. 

Thank you for the feedback!  Sounds like the class is pretty similar, regardless of ship and whether there is an Izumi or not.

• Like 1

I did the class on Harmony in 2019.  I really enjoyed the class and it was full!  You do have a lot to eat because you make several different kind of rolls.   Because the room's refrigerators aren't really cold, I wouldn't risk bringing any back to my room to eat at a later time 🥴.  When I came home, I immediately ordered everything online to make my own sushi.  Here it is, July 9, 2021, and it hasn't been touched.   With all my good intentions, I just find it easier to just go out to eat. 😄

• Haha 1