Saga wine list , non house wine (premium paid for)

Windsurfboy

We find the house wins quite drinkable and are certainly not ‘plonk’. Before you get your drink at lunch and dinner the current offerings are described by the waiter. Of course if you don’t want to take risk go for the wine list!

It's  no risk, I'll just take everyone's advice ,  try all the wines early on in first few days, find some I like ask for them .  Then go for the premium wines as a treat.  Given high praise for food in Amalfi , I think that would deserve a good Barolo. 

If we buy premium wine. As I  tend to drink red and my wife drinks bubbly , I doubt if I could drink a bottle a night. In Cunard grils where we have same table every night,  if you don't finish a bottle hen it's there for you next day. However what happens in Saga if you haven't a fixed table or try different restaurants. 

1 hour ago, Kenmure said:

We find the house wins quite drinkable and are certainly not ‘plonk’. Before you get your drink at lunch and dinner the current offerings are described by the waiter. Of course if you don’t want to take risk go for the wine list!

You can also ask for an alternative to the offered wines. Partner not keen on Chardonnay asks  for a Pinot Grigio or Sauvignon Blanc. Similarly with the reds.

• 5 months later...

On the SoD cruise before the current one, the Maitre d' in the Club restaurant would ask what we were planning to eat - he would then recommend suitable wines from the premium list, and his recommendations were always spot on. 

Bob

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, LondonLad60 said:

On the SoD cruise before the current one, the Maitre d' in the Club restaurant would ask what we were planning to eat - he would then recommend suitable wines from the premium list, and his recommendations were always spot on. 

Were the wines he recommended available by the glass? Saga's website says "there'll be a hand-picked connoisseur selection to purchase both by the glass and by the bottle". When we've been on a Saga cruise in the past, the premium wines were only available by the bottle, so being able to purchase a glass (or two) would be very welcome. Does anyone have a price list for glasses of premium wine?

Happy  to buy a bottle but i like red and my wife bubbly. So we try to make a bottle last 2 nights. Half a bottle each plus a brandy after dinner is enough for each of us. If I  buy a bottle will they keep it for the next night.  How does it work if no fixed table and multiple restaurants. 

Edited by Windsurfboy

I may be wrong, but as far as I'm aware, the premium wines were only available by the bottle. It may be possible to keep half a bottle for the next day, but I wouldn't want to get your hopes up by saying a definite yes. A word with the Maitre d'/sommelier on the ship might make things clearer.

Bob

30 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

Happy  to buy a bottle but i like red and my wife bubbly. So we try to make a bottle last 2 nights. Half a bottle each plus a brandy after dinner is enough for each of us. If I  buy a bottle will they keep it for the next night.  How does it work if no fixed table and multiple restaurants. 

People on our last cruise seemed to have no problem - bottle taken away and brought back by using cabin number to identify. Only thing to remember is that it has to be retrieved for you after you have arrived at your table (wherever it may be) and asked for it, so can be a bit of a delay.