Recent Monarch Experiences

ladylawyer

It seems that there were some complaints about the Monarch, when she came out of dry dock, last month. Added to that was the unfortunate and untimely death of her Captain. Has anyone sailed on her in the last couple of weeks, who can give a report of whether the sewage and other problems have been addressed? Also, I heard that Marc Walker is coming back as CD. Any idea when? Rick, you're usually up on all the latest on her ... Thanks!!!

My DH and I sailed the Monarch for the 4 day on Feb. 6th. We had a Jr Suite on Deck 10 which was great.

I personally feel that the Monarch looked in much better condition than the Vision did in Oct 05. Yes, there are some areas of wear but the ship was sparkling clean. The steward was friendly and responsive. The dining staff was very attentive and we loved the food.

We took lunch in the Windjammer when the dining room was closed. Plenty of food, many choices, some I liked better than others but altogether well prepared.

Moe was great as the Cruise Director. The shows were entertaining and well done. There were 2 musical productions, a comic, and a singer. The comic also did an adult late-night show on the last evening.

Warning: The Quest game ala Moe is a bit over the top compared to other cruises but happy to say that our team won the Gold.

We did not use room service so no experiences to report.

The JR suite did have the upgraded grooming items: shampoo, body lotion, cotton balls, q-tips, lip balm, and a net scrubby.

I did not notice any offensive odors and our bathroom facilities, and the public facilities that I used worked flawlessly.

There was a long delay for passengers leaving the ship (1-2 hours) and the limited number of restrooms available did have some backups.

I too was apprehensive after reading several of the reviews and glad that the kinks were worked out.

Sailing again on Spring Break with the teenager.

It seems that there were some complaints about the Monarch, when she came out of dry dock, last month. Added to that was the unfortunate and untimely death of her Captain. Has anyone sailed on her in the last couple of weeks, who can give a report of whether the sewage and other problems have been addressed? Also, I heard that Marc Walker is coming back as CD. Any idea when? Rick, you're usually up on all the latest on her ... Thanks!!!

Lorna, Rick is CRUISING, so if you can wait, I'm sure that he'll share whatever he can when he returns. (Can you believe that he LEFT US BEHIND?!?!?!?!?)

My DH and I sailed the Monarch for the 4 day on Feb. 6th. We had a Jr Suite on Deck 10 which was great.

I personally feel that the Monarch looked in much better condition than the Vision did in Oct 05. Yes, there are some areas of wear but the ship was sparkling clean. The steward was friendly and responsive. The dining staff was very attentive and we loved the food.

We took lunch in the Windjammer when the dining room was closed. Plenty of food, many choices, some I liked better than others but altogether well prepared.

Moe was great as the Cruise Director. The shows were entertaining and well done. There were 2 musical productions, a comic, and a singer. The comic also did an adult late-night show on the last evening.

Warning: The Quest game ala Moe is a bit over the top compared to other cruises but happy to say that our team won the Gold.

We did not use room service so no experiences to report.

The JR suite did have the upgraded grooming items: shampoo, body lotion, cotton balls, q-tips, lip balm, and a net scrubby.

I did not notice any offensive odors and our bathroom facilities, and the public facilities that I used worked flawlessly.

There was a long delay for passengers leaving the ship (1-2 hours) and the limited number of restrooms available did have some backups.

I too was apprehensive after reading several of the reviews and glad that the kinks were worked out.

Sailing again on Spring Break with the teenager.

This is great news-I have a JS Deck 10 on March 17-sounds like she looks good for an old gal....can't expect her to compete with the younger ladies of Radience and Voyager class-

I have not been on Monarch since May 04-anxious to see what's new-

Thanks for the info-

Lorna, Rick is CRUISING, so if you can wait, I'm sure that he'll share whatever he can when he returns. (Can you believe that he LEFT US BEHIND?!?!?!?!?)

Didn't he go on a back to back starting last Friday? If so sure he will give us the whole truth and nothing but the truth real soon. :D

Thanks for your mini review Mildred, can't wait!!

BonVoyage

Dawna

Do me a favor someone, take a walk around deck 2 on the bottom and see if there is any smell. Thanks

I will try to remember that. I was on the Monarch 3 times last year, and on one of the trips there was a terrible odor. But, it was only while we were in port in Ensenada. Once we left Ensenada, it went away. The other two times there was no odor at all. So, go figure.

I may or may not get off the ship in Ensenada. If I don't, I will walk the entire ship to check for odors. If I do get off in Ensenada, it will be to go Papas & Beer. In which case, when I get back, I KNOW I won't remember to walk the ship....LOL :eek:

I may or may not get off the ship in Ensenada. If I don't, I will walk the entire ship to check for odors. If I do get off in Ensenada, it will be to go Papas & Beer. In which case, when I get back, I KNOW I won't remember to walk the ship....LOL :eek:

Think you might be able to give me directions to Papas & Beer? Or do we just get in a cab and ask to go there? Cab Fare to get there? Looking at the Compass with the whole explaniation of $1 here $2 there but not sure where that gets us. Also town to pier has a 3 person min, what if there is only 2 of you? Pay $3?

Have a great time, looking forward to information.

BonVoyage

Dawna

Think you might be able to give me directions to Papas & Beer? Or do we just get in a cab and ask to go there? Cab Fare to get there? Looking at the Compass with the whole explaniation of $1 here $2 there but not sure where that gets us. Also town to pier has a 3 person min, what if there is only 2 of you? Pay $3?

Have a great time, looking forward to information.

BonVoyage

Dawna

You don't need to take a taxi to town. When you get off the ship, there are vans waiting to take you into town and back again. I can't remember specifically what it cost each way, but it's something like $2 or $3 into town, and $1 or $2 from town to the ship....or visa versa. The van drops you off in the middle of town...near the shopping. Just ask where Papas & Beer is..its just a few blocks from where the van drops you off. When it is time to go back to the ship, just walk back to the place where the van dropped you off. No need to take a taxi unless you are too drunk to walk the few blocks from Papas and Beer :eek: ....LOL

Carol, we need to make a deal with Rick that he has to take us along, when he cruises. Honestly, I've decided that I'm going to plan my next Monarch cruise (the one after the one I'm taking in May) around his schedule. I'm convinced that he's the resident expert on the Monarch. In fact, I think I'm going to start calling him "Mr. Monarch.":rolleyes: (If you're reading this, Rick, be flattered ... be very flattered ... 'cause I mean every word.)

Are you planning a Monarch cruise ... when "someone" is on board? I'm doing a 4-nighter on May 1st.

To everyone else, especially Mildred, thanks for your comments. I really loved the Monarch (I was on her in Dec, before the dry dock, and I thought she was in pretty good shape then ... except for those interminably slooooooooow elevators). Liked her so much that I booked another cruise and am taking the parental units on their first cruise. ~ Lorna

we were also on the Feb 6 4 day crusie

we do prefer ships witha solarium pool

we just loved our dining room Lyn table 307 he s a sweetheart and his wife works on the ship in the same dining room a cute little blonde

our room smelled just awful it had a heavy smoker in it the weekend before we came on board, and then the room steward spray some smelly stuff to get rid of the smell the combination gave us both a head ache and with my just finishing chemo not long ago and needing to avoid heavy chemicals the wonderful helpful head of house keeping Wendy moved us to a room 2 doors down that did not have a heavy smoke n perfumey smell

the ship remided us of Majesty

we did smell a odd smell but it didnt stick around long

every thing was clean and the staff was wonderful

we didnt do quest this time we usually do

You don't need to take a taxi to town. When you get off the ship, there are vans waiting to take you into town and back again. I can't remember specifically what it cost each way, but it's something like $2 or $3 into town, and $1 or $2 from town to the ship....or visa versa. The van drops you off in the middle of town...near the shopping. Just ask where Papas & Beer is..its just a few blocks from where the van drops you off. When it is time to go back to the ship, just walk back to the place where the van dropped you off. No need to take a taxi unless you are too drunk to walk the few blocks from Papas and Beer :eek: ....LOL

Thanks for the info! Unlike Mrs. Smith I am always able to get back to the ship as well as my cabin :rolleyes:hehe Seems I have heard it's a colorful place like Carlos & Charlie's. Ensanada Shopping guide has Shuttle $2 per person Pier to town then taxi's along Lopez Mateo Ave back are $1 per person, kinda odd.

Can't wait. We keep the ship clean for ya Tracey :)

BonVoyage

Dawna

Hey all:

I will be on Monarch 3/17, not new to me, but I usually do not get off the ship in Ensenada as there isn't much reason to do so.

Here is the question-I don't drink at all (not a drinking problem, just don't like the taste), DH drinks a little (Smirnoff Ice-big drinker)-is there any reason for a non-drinker and a not-much drinker to go to Papas N Beer? Is anything going on there besides drinking??

Thanks.

I've cruised the Monarch 8 times having stayed in cabins ranging from a deck 2 inside to an Owner's Suite and never smelled any sewer gasses. The only time I smelled anything was reboarding the ship in Ensenada and that smell is from Ensenada-- perhaps if you have a lower deck cabin near the gangway the smell can find it's way onto that area of the ship. Everyone always complains about the Monarch and there's nothing wrong with this ship-- the food has always been very good, excellent service and the ship is very well maintained. She's no Vision, Radiance or Voyager class ship-- and you really can't compare or expect her to be like the newer ships.. but for what she does she's more than fine. The only other choice in this market is Carnival's Paradise and after having sailed that ship, I'd rather cruise in the Monarch's lifeboat!

Thanks for the reassurance, Bob. I sail the Monarch in July and have to say I've been worried after reading so many negative posts!!!:confused:

If you notice, those that have sailed on the Monarch do so again, and again, and again. RDeagazio has sailed on her 8 times...this weekend will be my 4th time on her within a year. That should give you some indication that she is a great ship. Don't worry.

In 5 weeks, just for the heck of it, I am going on Carnival Paradise to see the difference in the two. I do know one difference...the Monarch is less expensive. I have sailed Carnival Ecstasy several times so I'm just doing a little comparison shopping...errr...should I say?....comparison sailing.

I am departing on Monday for my third cruise on the Monarch in a year. I think it is a great ship especially for the itinerary they have it on.

In December, we were in a GS and we did have THAT sewer smell in our cabin. I reported it and they came and did something and it was a lot better but returned to a small extent by the end of the cruise. I also noticed a lot of mildew around the vent in the bathroom and I also had them clean that and at least they tried.

This coming week we will be in the RS and am anxious to see if they have done any updating.

Jerry

is there any reason for a non-drinker and a not-much drinker to go to Papas N Beer? Is anything going on there besides drinking??

Tracey, there's lots going on there besides drinking...but you really don't want to know...Think in terms of the most outrageous spring break you ever experienced in college...and double the embarrassment...

Yeah, if you drink enough at Papas n Beer, you may not want to catch a taxi back to the ship...too embarrassing to face everyone back on the ship...

Here's the deal with bars in Ensenada...

If you're single and/or under 25, Papas and Beer is for you...

If you're a sedate married person and/or over 30...head across the street to Hussong's Cantina...

The entertainment at Hussong's is traditional Mexican strolling mariachis...the entertainment at Papas is drunk, underage college coeds on break...

Tracey, there's lots going on there besides drinking...but you really don't want to know...Think in terms of the most outrageous spring break you ever experienced in college...and double the embarrassment...

Yeah, if you drink enough at Papas n Beer, you may not want to catch a taxi back to the ship...too embarrassing to face everyone back on the ship...

Here's the deal with bars in Ensenada...

If you're single and/or under 25, Papas and Beer is for you...

If you're a sedate married person and/or over 30...head across the street to Hussong's Cantina...

The entertainment at Hussong's is traditional Mexican strolling mariachis...the entertainment at Papas is drunk, underage college coeds on break...

So if I decide to go ahead and book the Monarch for March 24th, if I go by myself I head to Papas. If my very overprotective brother comes along, I head to Hussong's. Thanks for the heads up!

Archived