Recent Monarch Experiences

ladylawyer

Tracey, there's lots going on there besides drinking...but you really don't want to know...Think in terms of the most outrageous spring break you ever experienced in college...and double the embarrassment...

Yeah, if you drink enough at Papas n Beer, you may not want to catch a taxi back to the ship...too embarrassing to face everyone back on the ship...

Here's the deal with bars in Ensenada...

If you're single and/or under 25, Papas and Beer is for you...

If you're a sedate married person and/or over 30...head across the street to Hussong's Cantina...

The entertainment at Hussong's is traditional Mexican strolling mariachis...the entertainment at Papas is drunk, underage college coeds on break...

I'm married and well over 25, and I prefer Papas & Beer over Hussongs.

I am departing on Monday for my third cruise on the Monarch in a year. I think it is a great ship especially for the itinerary they have it on.

In December, we were in a GS and we did have THAT sewer smell in our cabin. I reported it and they came and did something and it was a lot better but returned to a small extent by the end of the cruise. I also noticed a lot of mildew around the vent in the bathroom and I also had them clean that and at least they tried.

This coming week we will be in the RS and am anxious to see if they have done any updating.

Jerry

Which GS were you in? I am leaving in the morning for the Monarch and we are staying in a GS (first GS). I hope there isn't any odor.

Maybe I will go take a look-might be nice to actually get off the ship in Ensenada for a change-

I have not gotten off in Ensenada since 2000 sailing the Carnival Holiday-yuck!! I got off mostly to escape that ship!!

In 2002 sailed the Ecstasy (yuck again), didn't get off.

Sailed Monarch twice in 2004 (Jan. and May), didn't get off. Got off in San Diego and Catalina, just not in Ensenada. Maybe I will get off and go have some chips and salsa!! Do they have Dr. Pepper at Papas n Beer, that's my drink of choice!!:D

Hey Nancy,

Looks like we'll have the ship to ourselves then! We're travelling for March break.

We're looking forward to the trip as are our 7 year old twin boys. They're pretty excited about getting all dressed up for formal night. Who knew?

When I checked prices on RCI's site yesterday, our cruise was sold out. Looks like we may be sharing the pool with a few others. ;)

I'll be cruising with my college senior daughter - also on spring break.

That's great that your boys want to dress up. One can hope that desire lasts a few more years!

Really quick........

I'm on the Monarch right now...............NOOOOOO offensive odors all day.

MzKitty,

Unless you're on a B2B, you should be home by now. How was your cruise? Any hints for those of us who have to wait a couple of months before we cruise? Is Moe still the CD? Thanks, in advance!!!:)

MzKitty,

Unless you're on a B2B, you should be home by now. How was your cruise? Any hints for those of us who have to wait a couple of months before we cruise? Is Moe still the CD? Thanks, in advance!!!:)

Yes, I am back, but this is the first opportunity to get to the boards.

The ship is great...as usual. Clean...I didn't notice wear and tear. I even wonder what they did to her while in drydock.

There were no offensive odors.

Yes, Moe is the CD.

My group took 2nd place in Quest! :D

Food was excellent.

Our dinner waitstaff was great.

Although I did have to make a complaint during lunch yesterday. Not about our waitstaff, but a different wait team. We waited a half an hour and had to ask 3 servers, just to get ice tea served. I finally had to go to the Head Waiter. I hate to get someone in trouble, but, comeon....1/2 hour....and 3 servers? That is totally unacceptable.

We were in a GS and loved it! However, I think our cabin was below the windjammer kitchen and there was always noise above us at all times of the day and night, like clanging and things rolling and being dragged along the floor. Not enough to ruin it, but it was just a bit annoying and I would make sure I didn't get that cabin again. (#1034)

And as nice as it was.... especially since we had that big group and it was great for entertaining.....I don't think I'll ever need to spend the extra money for a GS again. A JS (if the price is right) or SO will do just fine for 3 nights.

It was raining at the original time of sailaway so most of my group of 30 came to our cabin/balcony for sailaway. However, because we were an hour late departing, it had stopped raining by then. Eh...everyone was already in our cabin/balcony so we all just stayed there. Don't know why we were late leaving, but the rumor was it was because they were waiting for people. (They must have booked their airfare thru the cruiseline. Like I said, that is the rumor, and I don't know for a fact if thats why we left late.)

I like staying out late in the disco, but here is where my other complaint comes in. The DJ ...for lack of a better word....sucks! I even had a few words with him about his lack of customer relations/service. Basically, he played what HE wanted to play...and it was all that gansta rap stuff. Don't get me wrong, I understand he needs to play current music....I even like current disco/club type music. I don't expect to hear 50s,60s,70,80s type music, but not once did he play anything that anyone in my group requested. And we requested current dance music.

The phone service. I was trying to get a hold of a fellow CC member but I didn't know her room number so I had to call the pursers desk to get connected. I literally let the phone ring over 50 times before I hung up and tried again...and again...and again. I tried getting thru on Friday night and Saturday. I finally went down to complain and I got two different excuses: First one... they were really busy. Ok...understandable...but at least answer the phone and put me on hold until you can help me. And I understand that they could be very busy at certain times, (like prior to sailaway), but at 10:30PM?? Thats when I went down to complain. Then, the 2nd excuse is they are having problems with their phones. Yeah, yeah....whatever....get your stories right. It took until Sunday morning to finally get thru to my fellow CC member to meet up with her.

Even though I had those complaints, I didn't feel it was worth someone getting in trouble about them, so I did not put them on my comment card. I believe everyone is entitled to one bad day and I wouldn't want someone to lose their job over it....especially the lunch time wait staff. They did apologize and after that, they were right there refilling it practically every time I took a sip...lol. Although I should probably have written something about the DJ. He really was a poor DJ.

All in all, it was a great cruise!

Next month I'm going on Carnival's Paradise so I can compare that one to the Monarch.

Any questions feel free to ask.:)

Welcome Home MszKitty!

You say the food was excellent. Anything stand out as a can't miss item? Notice any Risotto on the menu, it's always my favorite when we cruise?

Noticed it's going to be a bit chilly when we go, what do most people wear during the day? I take it there is not a lot of people hanging out poolside in bikinis?

Congrats on Quest :D Win or loose, sure you had fun.

BonVoyage

Dawna

Also just returned from the MOS 2/17 sailing. Had a great time and for the first time had an inside cabin. Very tiny esp. for 3 adults, but hey, was only for 3 nites(and I slept on the top bunk). Staff and food were fine, always warm/cold.

About the sewer smells, we were on the tween deck (6) and every time we turned the corner to our hall, there was a hint of smell. Never in our rooms, but present never the less. Not enuff to gag, but enuff to coment on every time.

If you were on that sailing, we were the five ladies that wore the tatoo sleeves on Sunday. Had a great time with that! Many looks and coments, esp. from the staff. It was my youngest sister's 50th birthday, and we were just kicking back. My 76 yr old mom even wore them. Great time was had by all.

Sat and watched the Quest. I had seen it before but my sisters and mom had not. Needless to say they got an eye full but enjoyed it. My sister did thank me for not letting them form a team, tho.

My group took 2nd place in Quest!
I saw that. You won second place last year too. Is this a tradition or something.

That was the wildest Quests I have ever seen. On Monarch of the Seas with Moe as CD, The Quest is definitely for adults only. Enough said there.

The food was rather good. The head waiter even had crème brulée made for my table because it wasn't on the menu.

Their were tons of kids on this sailing and I didn't see any problems.

I saw a pool attendant removing towels from saved deck chairs. See people it does happen.

There was no oder besides the ones coming from Ensenada.:D

That was the wildest Quests I have ever seen. On Monarch of the Seas with Moe as CD, The Quest is definitely for adults only. Enough said there.

Oh, goody!:D I'm probably going to be sailing Monarch next month with a first time cruiser looking for a good time. Should be interesting.

Survived the first day of this endurance test. Looking forward to Thursday afternoon, and even more to Friday afternoon.

Glad to hear that you survived! I am sure you will do well tomorrow, and Thursday. Take care. You will do a great job!

Michelle

I saw that. You won second place last year too. Is this a tradition or something.

We just can't seem to get first place. Makes us try harder! If it wasn't for not having that damn blue pill we might have made it.

Wait a second!....Didn't we take first place last year?? I know we got a nice prize....a collapsable cooler (6 pack size) filled with all sorts of goodies. The only down side is that they only gave us one, so we all didn't get something. We gave it to my nephew who did all the running for us.

We took 2nd place on our cruise in July and 2nd place in October, too. We got t-shirts for that. And trust me....we don't come prepared. Heck..one time, I even stole the lemon out of some stranger's drink!

I offered to buy him a new drink...but he was kind and didn't make me

The food was rather good. The head waiter even had crème brulée made for my table because it wasn't on the menu.

Ya know...I never think to ask for something not on the menu. Eh...but I always find something I like no matter what. They did have chocolate creme brulee in the dining room for lunch on Sunday though, so we had it then.

Their were tons of kids on this sailing and I didn't see any problems.

Yes....I have to say, I was impressed....all those kids, but I never heard or saw any problems.

Was also on the 2/17 cruise in Cabin 1062 a JS. A few comments

As with Mz Kitty we also had noise from Deck 11 above us, most significant when people were running, not overly annoying, but you could hear it. I had read on another post that when the crew was cleaning the deck it was very loud, but did not experience that at all (possibly not cleaned)

Embarkation. Very smooth and quick, do the online check in prior to arrival!

Food: 1st night I hit the antipasto bar at the Windjammer for an appetizer plate to bring back to the room...very good. Dining room: appetizer good, main course average, deserts outstanding. I believe that it is very difficult to prepare a hot meal for so many people at the same time without some quality concerns. Went to Jades on the last night of the cruise, one of only eight or nine people, very under utilized. Would rate Jade’s as average. Did have similar refreshment concerns at lunch, could not get a glass of water until I caught the waiter’s eye, raised and pointed to my glass. Plenty of waiters around, they don’t seem to pay attention to your water glass needs!! Room service was outstanding, very good selection and not much of a wait. Saturday evening ordered the salmon appetizer, cheese plate and fruit, came within 15 minutes.

Cabin, loved the room!! The JS has a pretty large balcony. Sunday afternoon and early evening the ship drifted or barely moved off the coast of San Clemente/Dana Point. Pretty cool to be able get out the binoculars and see the area of our house! We were very fortunate to have an especially clear day. Had thought wrongly that a bathrobe was part of the suite deal. However, our room steward when asked did bring two to the cabin. Enjoyed smuggle booze on the balcony all trip (carry on x-rayed but not searched).

Ship condition: Generally very clean and well maintained. Just one observation: from the JS you look down on the lifeboats, I am sure they are in good shape, but the top covers could have used a power washing and maintenance during dry dock (ship id info was peeling off). Very dirty to look at. Walked most decks did not smell a thing. Good workout room, enjoyed the walk around the Veranda deck.

Disembarkation: The smoothest I have ever been on. Our literature indicated that our group would be called at 0830, we were called at 0800, off the ship and in the car by 0830, home at 0930…very nice. As an observation this could be due to the predominately American passengers (only a handful were citizens of other countries), making the custom process simple. There were two lines though; one for passports, and the other for birth certificates etc., passport line was much quicker.

Yes, I am back, but this is the first opportunity to get to the boards.

We were in a GS and loved it! However, I think our cabin was below the windjammer kitchen and there was always noise above us at all times of the day and night, like clanging and things rolling and being dragged along the floor. Not enough to ruin it, but it was just a bit annoying and I would make sure I didn't get that cabin again. (#1034)

MszKitty, first of all, thanks so much for your review! It sounds like you had a great time. I liked my Monarch cruise in December so much that I booked a May cruise, with my DH (who was unable to join me in December) and my parents (for their first cruise).

I'm so glad you mentioned about the noise. I originally booked a JS, right next to the GS cabins. Then, I was smart enough to check the deck plans for the decks above and below us (having read about noise from the late-night bars and such) and realized that the Windjammer was directly above the cabin I had booked. I am not an early-bird, and it occurred to me that we might hear some of the movement from those who are early-birds, at the Windjammer. It sounds like my instincts were correct. Fortunately, a mid-ship JS opened up and I was on the phone, like the wind.:)

Welcome back. ~ Lorna

Was also on the 2/17 cruise in Cabin 1062 a JS. A few comments

Sunday afternoon and early evening the ship drifted or barely moved off the coast of San Clemente/Dana Point. Pretty cool to be able get out the binoculars and see the area of our house! We were very fortunate to have an especially clear day.

That was so cool. I wondered who that was sitting out there. I wish a ship would do that every week.:D I'm glad you had fun.

Archived