MSC Cider Ignorance?

MouseBerry

Hi,

I‘m not british, but like the british culture very much. One aspect is the large variety of apple and pear ciders which you can get in GB and in some british minded stores in Germany as well.

On all the drink menu on MSC ships only Strongbow is listed. Not saying it is a bad one, but it is not to my taste. I like the different varieties of Bulmers, Magners and in particular Thatchers. 

I‘m wondering if someone has experiences if and how to order at least a few different ciders next to the omnipresent Strongbow. A long menu with wine and even beer, but how about ciders.

A few years ago we made a 12 days cruise around Great Britain in the Yacht Club and there was Bulmers. apple on board. But not very much. We were the only ones who ordered cider in the YC restaurant. Before the cruise was over all was gone and we were reasonable drinkers.

If this is not ignorance it comes close to it. The menu headline mentions „Beers and Ciders“ (plural). A list with a single item looks quite poor.

cheers

MouseBerry

1 hour ago, MouseBerry said:

Hi,

I‘m not british, but like the british culture very much. One aspect is the large variety of apple and pear ciders which you can get in GB and in some british minded stores in Germany as well.

On all the drink menu on MSC ships only Strongbow is listed. Not saying it is a bad one, but it is not to my taste. I like the different varieties of Bulmers, Magners and in particular Thatchers. 

I‘m wondering if someone has experiences if and how to order at least a few different ciders next to the omnipresent Strongbow. A long menu with wine and even beer, but how about ciders.

A few years ago we made a 12 days cruise around Great Britain in the Yacht Club and there was Bulmers. apple on board. But not very much. We were the only ones who ordered cider in the YC restaurant. Before the cruise was over all was gone and we were reasonable drinkers.

If this is not ignorance it comes close to it. The menu headline mentions „Beers and Ciders“ (plural). A list with a single item looks quite poor.

cheers

MouseBerry

We laughed at the 'beer and ciders' menu too on Virtuosa. DH is a cider drinker, always has been, it's always a pint of cider when he goes out rather than beer and there are always lots of choice at pubs and restaurants on land around here but MSC (and most other cruise lines TBH) only have Strongbow!

2 hours ago, MouseBerry said:

We were the only ones who ordered cider in the YC restaurant. 

This is probably the reason why the cidermenu is so limited! If very few order cider they have no reason to have a variety on the menu.

Lots of people order different kinds of wine and beer so they have a much more varied selection of that.

• Like 4

Last week on Virtuosa they had Strongbow in bottles and a draught cider in the "pub" that they referred to as Strongbow, however, being a lifelong cider drinker, I am 100% sure that it wasn't Strongbow, the pump suggested it was "Gold Apple", whatever that is, not a mention of Strongbow or Bulmers, (not only that, it was very nice). To complicate things further, they also had a draught cider at the Horizon bar which was also referred to as Strongbow, again, I do not think it was. It would appear that the staff believe that all cider is "Strongbow". I have found that Royal Caribbean often have bottles of Magners, Bulmers and/or Strongbow, Celebrity often have Magners, Angry Orchard and Strongbow. My experience of the RC and Celebrity North American/Caribbean cruises have Angry Orchard and Magners at least.

To my knowledge Angry Orchard is a North America brand and not british. No surprise it is served on those cruises. To my taste it is a good one. My next cruise is in the Baltic Sea and has two swedish ports of call. Sweden has some ciders as well, but a bit sweet to my taste. Very likely the swedish ciders will not be served. What about the good tradition to serve local food and beverages during cruises? 

Mouseberry, you are correct, it is a North American brand. They do several varieties but I have only seen the "crisp apple" available on cruises. I have had it on Celebrity cruises out of the UK and also the Anthem of the Seas cruises out of Southampton in 2015, (this was the first time I encountered it). I have a feeling a couple of bars on Independence of the seas also had it. I am hoping Anthem still does it next year.