Carnival Vista 7/10

KurtJ

4 hours ago, LHARTWICK said:

Would be nice if they never go back to 100%....but I guess that's wishful thinking.  😞 Sounds like the MDR may have already worked out the kinks that the first Vista cruisers mentioned.  👍 Flick is a good show for sure!  Plenty of dining options other than the specialty restaurants. CCL's pizza is our favorite! You can walk to the "flying chairs" in Roatan. The Mohagany Bay port is nice and clean, but Roatan is VERY, VERY HOT!  Take some water with you for sure!  If you Google "Mahogany Bay Port Map", you'll find some useful information.  I think CCL now owns this area?? OP - do keep us posted, as we are all living through you this week!  Could you let us know what bands are playing around the ship?  I haven't been able to find that info.  And please eat a chocolate melting cake for me!

Bands! If I see anymore I will update!

335E0EAA-17E7-4935-8852-CDEFFB3351F8.jpeg

F60E6CD6-B4A4-4601-A2B1-E3C353F40EAA.jpeg

E9BB8079-168C-4EA4-8F72-3DB7AD6E3416.jpeg

8DB308EF-00AF-4B36-AB2E-F6662C40FF08.jpeg

A63FD99E-71AA-4B74-BEE4-604D8396D105.jpeg

F0FCA5B2-E7D3-4E81-B0A8-90F4DD11CF15.jpeg

81D3EC99-35E4-434A-B611-9F1D38F256AB.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Our cabin steward told us this morning that our stop in Honduras was almost cancelled because of weather but luckily we were able to go. We have also been informed our day in Cozumel will be shorter. If you are traveling out on a Carnival ship and want to see a comedy show you will need to line up early and they clear it out between shows so others can get a chance so you can’t pick a spot and watch b2b shows. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Today is off to an interesting start. The weather on the way in to Belize is dreary and the medical team has been called to a guest room on deck 14. Probably good that I have no plans to leave the ship today and instead we are getting a massage.

A05CAE93-02B3-4E5C-A976-B8C021653ACE.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

As I think of things to advise everyone I thought about this today: bring multiple face masks! Every single port requires the wearing of masks both indoors and outdoors unless eating, drinking, or swimming. You don’t want to have to wear the same mask if it gets gross.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KurtJ said:

As I think of things to advise everyone I thought about this today: bring multiple face masks! Every single port requires the wearing of masks both indoors and outdoors unless eating, drinking, or swimming. You don’t want to have to wear the same mask if it gets gross.

Thanks for this info. Question since you are in Belize, have you heard or read anything about masks being required even on the beaches there (like Caye Caulker, Goffs Caye, etc)? I had read from someone else just off Vista that they were required on the boat if you did a snorkel excursion, but not sure about the beaches themselves. Thanks!

2 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Same price as Amazon.  Oh well.

Though - no tax here (possible duty). I love the way everything says "Duty Free".. yep, wait until you get to customs and find that Carnival has forwarded them your jewelry store purchases. They ask you to produce the receipts. When you say that they're someone in the suitcase, the agent then smiles and says "you can find it, or we'll dig through there and find it".

Yep, lesson learned long ago (BE READY, UPFRONT, and HONEST)

Tom

5 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Though - no tax here (possible duty). I love the way everything says "Duty Free".. yep, wait until you get to customs and find that Carnival has forwarded them your jewelry store purchases. They ask you to produce the receipts. When you say that they're someone in the suitcase, the agent then smiles and says "you can find it, or we'll dig through there and find it".

Yep, lesson learned long ago (BE READY, UPFRONT, and HONEST)

Tom

Learn something new on these threads everyday, did not know jewelry store purchases were forwarded to customs! Is it only done if its over a certain amount? I dont purchase jewelry on board, but still good info to know, so thanks!

6 minutes ago, CruisinMama2003 said:

Learn something new on these threads everyday, did not know jewelry store purchases were forwarded to customs! Is it only done if its over a certain amount? I dont purchase jewelry on board, but still good info to know, so thanks!

I do believe that there is some $ value involved. On that sailing we picked up matching Tag watches and a ring. Definitely over the duty free limit (can someone chime in as to what that amount is)?

I'd also be a little suspect when purchasing jewelry in the port - I've been asked my ship and cabin number before (not saying it gets back, but who knows)!

Tom

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

I'd also be a little suspect when purchasing jewelry in the port - I've been asked my ship and cabin number before (not saying it gets back, but who knows)!

The seller in port has to declare the sale as duty free, otherwise they get stuck with those costs.  So they gather a minimum amount of info to justify it.

I am not sure I trust either the port nor on-board jewelry stores to provide, um, full-value.  I have heard "stories" about someone getting their purchase appraised post-cruise to find out they were not getting as a good a deal as they thought, and there is little recourse - you can't just march back on board and demand a refund! 

But it helps for me that I have a friend who is a jeweler - anything serious to procure and I go to him.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, KurtJ said:

If you are traveling out on a Carnival ship and want to see a comedy show you will need to line up early and they clear it out between shows so others can get a chance so you can’t pick a spot and watch b2b shows. 

And this isn't CV related - this was the method long before CV.

If you get the chance to look.. how are the evening shows scheduled? We love doing set dining time and having the same wait staff and table every night.  But the last couple times we have cruised with Carnival, almost all shows were only performed during our late dining times.  So we had to choose between our set dining at 8 or the show.  Thanks!!

1 hour ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

I do believe that there is some $ value involved. On that sailing we picked up matching Tag watches and a ring. Definitely over the duty free limit (can someone chime in as to what that amount is)?

Tom

Looks like $1600

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/international-visitors/kbyg/customs-duty-info

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, CruisinMama2003 said:

Thanks for this info. Question since you are in Belize, have you heard or read anything about masks being required even on the beaches there (like Caye Caulker, Goffs Caye, etc)? I had read from someone else just off Vista that they were required on the boat if you did a snorkel excursion, but not sure about the beaches themselves. Thanks!

This is what is in the hub app for today. I didn’t leave the ship so I don’t know about the beaches here.

4FA66FA7-E318-4203-9D73-55B859BB0C06.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, LHARTWICK said:

And this isn't CV related - this was the method long before CV.

It has never happened on a Carnival Cruise I was on before so it was new to me.

Edited by KurtJ
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, KurtJ said:

Interesting - May vary by ship.  I just know the CCL cruises we were on prior to CV required the comedy club to empty out prior to the next show.  Vista, Glory, Breeze, Freedom, Dream were some of those. 

31 minutes ago, KurtJ said:

Sometimes they did this and sometimes they didn't.  For my cruises on the Vista and Panorama, there were long lines to get in.  After the show, we had to exit and get back in line if we wanted to see the next show.  On some of the other ships we could stay until the next show and others we couldn't.

5 hours ago, zzdoug said:

Actually this is not accurate for all itineraries - Usually it is $800/pp - $1600 (the extra $800 specifically) is only if you went to USVI and bought it there.  This is from Carnival's site directly:  NOTE:  They used to hand out customs forms the last night to all rooms on the ship, they haven't done this for some time!  You are responsible for getting one from Guest Services if you exceed the allowances listed below and completing it for customs:

A lot of people don't realize there are requirements for how much you spend, how much booze you bring back, and how many cigarettes.  Have seen a lot of people pulled aside going through customs for this very reason.

DUTY-FREE ALLOWANCE

The following guidelines pertain to U.S Residents only. Non-U.S Residents must comply with Customs laws set-up by the Customs Office in their particular country. Specific information will be provided on board the ship. 

Guests who have exceeded the allowance listed below are required to complete one U.S Customs Declaration Form, per household which includes those family members traveling with them who reside at the same address. Guests who have not exceeded the allowance listed below are not required to complete a form

The Head of Household must declare all merchandise purchased or acquired abroad and which he/she is bringing back into the United States. That includes items purchased in duty-free shops (on board) and in port as well as items received as gifts. It also includes items the guests have begun to use or are wearing. All purchases must be listed on the back of the U.S. Customs declaration form*. Undeclared merchandise is subject to seizure and/or penalty. If the family has exceeded the U.S. Customs exemptions, the Head of Household must present him or herself with receipts to the U.S Customs Border and Protection officers on the last morning of the cruise. Cash is only accepted for payment of additional taxes exceeding the Duty-Free allowance.

Duty-Free Allowance for U.S Residents

Itineraries that include any of U.S Virgin Islands (St Thomas, St Croix and St John) 

• $1600 (retail) of duty-free purchases per person may be spent. No more than $800 can be purchased outside the U.S Virgin Islands or onboard 
  • One liter of alcohol per person and an additional four liters if purchased in the U.S Virgin Islands; one of the additional liters must be a product of the U.S Virgin Islands (guest must be at least 21 years old) 
  • One carton of cigarettes and an additional four cartons if purchased in the U.S Virgin Islands (guest must be at least 21 years) 
  • One hundred cigars (guest must be at least 21 years old) 

All other domestic itineraries

• $800 (retail) of duty-free purchases per person may be spent 
  • One liter of alcohol per person (guest must be at least 21 years old)  
  • One carton of cigarettes (guest must be at least 21 years old) 
  • One hundred cigars (guest must be at least 21 years old) 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, wemjam said:

Actually this is not accurate for all itineraries - Usually it is $800/pp - $1600 (the extra $800 specifically) is only if you went to USVI and bought it there.  This is from Carnival's site directly:  NOTE:  They used to hand out customs forms the last night to all rooms on the ship, they haven't done this for some time!  You are responsible for getting one from Guest Services if you exceed the allowances listed below and completing it for customs:

A lot of people don't realize there are requirements for how much you spend, how much booze you bring back, and how many cigarettes.  Have seen a lot of people pulled aside going through customs for this very reason.

DUTY-FREE ALLOWANCE

The following guidelines pertain to U.S Residents only. Non-U.S Residents must comply with Customs laws set-up by the Customs Office in their particular country. Specific information will be provided on board the ship. 

Guests who have exceeded the allowance listed below are required to complete one U.S Customs Declaration Form, per household which includes those family members traveling with them who reside at the same address. Guests who have not exceeded the allowance listed below are not required to complete a form

The Head of Household must declare all merchandise purchased or acquired abroad and which he/she is bringing back into the United States. That includes items purchased in duty-free shops (on board) and in port as well as items received as gifts. It also includes items the guests have begun to use or are wearing. All purchases must be listed on the back of the U.S. Customs declaration form*. Undeclared merchandise is subject to seizure and/or penalty. If the family has exceeded the U.S. Customs exemptions, the Head of Household must present him or herself with receipts to the U.S Customs Border and Protection officers on the last morning of the cruise. Cash is only accepted for payment of additional taxes exceeding the Duty-Free allowance.

Duty-Free Allowance for U.S Residents

Itineraries that include any of U.S Virgin Islands (St Thomas, St Croix and St John) 

• $1600 (retail) of duty-free purchases per person may be spent. No more than $800 can be purchased outside the U.S Virgin Islands or onboard 
  • One liter of alcohol per person and an additional four liters if purchased in the U.S Virgin Islands; one of the additional liters must be a product of the U.S Virgin Islands (guest must be at least 21 years old) 
  • One carton of cigarettes and an additional four cartons if purchased in the U.S Virgin Islands (guest must be at least 21 years) 
  • One hundred cigars (guest must be at least 21 years old) 

All other domestic itineraries

• $800 (retail) of duty-free purchases per person may be spent 
  • One liter of alcohol per person (guest must be at least 21 years old)  
  • One carton of cigarettes (guest must be at least 21 years old) 
  • One hundred cigars (guest must be at least 21 years old) 

The real answer to this is to be honest with customs. My buddy on my Panorama cruise bought a bunch of cases of booze (Hennessy White) and the customs guys just waived him through. This other guy I met on on a short cruise buys 10-12 cases of Hennessy White and then sells them to finance his cruises and buys more. He said customs waives him off every time and doesn't charge anything extra (he's done many cruises this way). If they catch you with undeclared large amounts, they may not be so nice. It seems they reward honesty. Declare any large purchases and they will most likely just waive you through.     

• Thanks 1

On 7/12/2021 at 9:03 PM, firefly333 said:

The tram or flying chairs itself is a excursion, or easy walk to the beach. Pretty walk but people are tired from swimming.

Where is the tram?

I can't do those flying chairs