Walk to Cruise Port

We're staying in Southampton the night before our departure. We plan on walking to the terminal.

I see several hotels that look to be in walking distance. 

The Holiday Inn on Herbert Walker Ave is right next to Gate 8.  Does anyone know if we are able to access the cruise terminal from that gate?

Would we be better off staying on Quay Rd (Ibis, Noveatel, Premier Inn) and accessing Dock 10.

Thanks for your help!

Do you know which terminal you will be sailing from? (QEII, Ocean, Mayflower, City)?

See a map at https://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/admin/content/files/PDF_Downloads/Southampton Map 2014.pdf and compare that to street maps.

I recall from previous discussions that the 'QEII' terminal was not recommended for pedestrian access.

3 minutes ago, TheOldBear said:

Do you know which terminal you will be sailing from? (QEII, Ocean, Mayflower, City)?

See a map at https://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/admin/content/files/PDF_Downloads/Southampton Map 2014.pdf and compare that to street maps.

I recall from previous discussions that the 'QEII' terminal was not recommended for pedestrian access.

City Cruise Terminal berth 101 for Silhouette.

8 minutes ago, TheOldBear said:

I did a search, and found this helpful posting from John Bull

Thank you!  I had found that same thread, but I didn't see where someone answered my specific question.  On the map, it looks like the Holiday Inn is closer, but if I can't access the gate and need to walk all the way around, it really isn't.

Late to the thread, due to a certain football match 🙄

Don't worry if Gate 8 is closed, locked & un-manned when you arrive.

When a cruise ship is at the berth, the gate will be open.

So yes, Hol Inn, Herbert Walker Avenue, is closest and easily walkable with rolling luggage. Rooms at the rear overlook the ship & terminal.

Premier Inn West Quay and Moxy (from either, cut thro the Hol Inn parking lot 😉), Leonardo Royal and Pig-in-the-wall are also comfortably walkable

For Novotel, Ibis, and Ibis Budget, yes Gate 10 & turn left at the roundabout just inside the gate. In the docks, the walkway was separated from the traffic by only a yellow line - but that may have changed since the building of the new Horizon Terminal which opened just a couple of weeks ago.

JB 🙂   

We walked to the pier twice from hotels--once from the Holiday Inn and once from the Ibis Budget. The latter is a bit farther away but doable if you don't have trouble handling your luggage. The last time we planned to walk from the coach station but ended up splitting a taxi with another couple because it was raining. 

On 7/12/2021 at 1:05 PM, shink113 said:

I found my answer while looking around the port website.

Gate 8 is available for entry.

Thanks for your help!

Several years ago, we stayed at that Holiday Inn, and walked to the Silhouette the next morning. Here’s some info and photos I posted about walking over. (Obviously, I don’t know if there have been any changes since then.)

• Like 1