Quietest cabin for Viking San Juan to Barcelona cruise

JB52

Hi there, I'm planning to take Viking's San Juan to Barcelona cruise within two years.  Would appreciate any advice as to the quietest cabin(s).  Sorry, but I don't know the name of the ship(s) (looked it up on Viking's site but couldn't tell).  Thanks!  

6 hours ago, JB52 said:

Hi there, I'm planning to take Viking's San Juan to Barcelona cruise within two years.  Would appreciate any advice as to the quietest cabin(s).  Sorry, but I don't know the name of the ship(s) (looked it up on Viking's site but couldn't tell).  Thanks!  

Hello @JB52- For the March 2022 & December 2022 trans-Atlantic crossings those are aboard Viking Sea. I don't think they're any noisy cabins on Viking ships. Last week on Viking Orion I was on deck 3 starboard, aft - directly above The Restaurant & didn't hear a thing at any time. Between cabin soundproofing is excellent also. Great choice on itinerary for those of us who cherish sea days. I have the December 2021 Barcelona-San Juan  booked. 

• Like 1

Agree with Myrtle.  We generally select forward cabins and have been on levels 4,5,7, and 8 and have heard very little noise.  We did have “slammer” neighbors once (for some reason felt it necessary to slam the doors throughput the cruise) but even that was sporadic and didn’t bother us.  

Avoid any of the Deck 8 cabins. If you happen to run into fog you will certainly know it. The ship's fog horn can be heard very clearly in these cabins. Cabins in the mid ships and forward area of Deck 3 are prone to noise from the Star Theatre and also the Torshavn night club. I would go for just aft of midships on Deck 3 but I'm sure if you want a higher grade cabin then others will comment on the Deck 4 5 and 6 options

2 hours ago, arlowood said:

Avoid any of the Deck 8 cabins. If you happen to run into fog you will certainly know it. The ship's fog horn can be heard very clearly in these cabins.

Interesting.  Never read any reviews that mentioned this.  In our experience from two months on Orion, Deck 8 is perfect;  very quiet, near Explorer Lounge and nice walk across the deck to rear stairs to World Cafe.  Never heard the fog horn, although entering busy ports in big Asian cities, one hears lots of ship’s horns, all part of the experience!  As we say in America, “your mileage may vary.”

8 hours ago, Myrtle Ave. Mayhem said:

Hello @JB52- For the March 2022 & December 2022 trans-Atlantic crossings those are aboard Viking Sea. I don't think they're any noisy cabins on Viking ships. Last week on Viking Orion I was on deck 3 starboard, aft - directly above The Restaurant & didn't hear a thing at any time. Between cabin soundproofing is excellent also. Great choice on itinerary for those of us who cherish sea days. I have the December 2021 Barcelona-San Juan  booked. 

We are on the November 29-December 13 Barcelona to San Juan cruise.  I don't see you on the Roll Call.  Do join, we are a fun group!

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, JB52 said:

Best bet for quietest cabin are those where there are no public rooms above or below.  That would be decks 4 or 5.

30 minutes ago, MarkTapley said:

Interesting.  Never read any reviews that mentioned this.  In our experience from two months on Orion, Deck 8 is perfect;  very quiet, near Explorer Lounge and nice walk across the deck to rear stairs to World Cafe.  Never heard the fog horn, although entering busy ports in big Asian cities, one hears lots of ship’s horns, all part of the experience!  As we say in America, “your mileage may vary.”

We were on Deck 8 on board Venus on one of the UK "Welcome Back" cruises in early June. We had fog during the day and through the night on several occasions. My hearing is not the best but I can definitely attest to being disturbed on a couple of nights at least with the sound of the fog horn. We might just have been unlucky but I would certainly think twice about a Deck 8 cabin in the future.

18 hours ago, JB52 said:

Our initial cabin assignment on our first Viking cruise was 3055.  I searched for info on that cabin and found numerous warnings about avoiding that cabin and ones near it because of Torshavn noise.

Here's another post about cabin locations to avoid:

Good luck!

In general we found the cabins to be quiet, especially from the alleyways, x-alleyways, laundry rooms, lifts/stairs, etc.

However, as with all ships, depending on many variables you can experience some noise or movement, such as:

• Fwd Cabins - more susceptible to excess movement, which is dependent on the seastate. When docking, you have noise from the thrusters and possibly the anchor. In a seaway can experiece noise from the anchor cable. 
  • Aft Cabins - also susceptible to movement, which is dependent on seastate. If the ship is steaming at full speed, you can experience vibration and prop rumble. If the ship is pitching significantly you can get vibration/cavitation, as the wheels almost broach the surface
  • Dk 4 Midships - cabins above the lifeboats get some noise as they prepare to launch the boats at tender ports. Generally didn't bother us, as you are preparing to head ashore
  • Dk 3 Fwd - above the Theatre & Torshavn can be noisy
  • Dk 8 -  more susceptible to movement in a seaway. Also potential for noise from the ship's whistle.
  • Dk 6 - potential for some noise from the open decks above

1 hour ago, JeriGail said:

Check out our roll call for the 2021 Barcelona - San Juan cruise:

Viking Sea - November 29, 2021 - Barcelona to San Juan - Page 63 - Viking Sea Roll Calls - Cruise Critic Community

We are a very active group!

Hi @JeriGail& @TayanaLorna  Thank-You, but my mistake. I'm booked for the 2022 sailing which will be westbound from Barcelona. Your crossing will be fantastic!

Edited by Myrtle Ave. Mayhem
  • Like 1

We did a 22 day cruise on Viking Sea December 2019-January 2020, in 3052. If we are ever able to cruise Viking again we would definitely not go for that location. The noise every night, through to 1 or 2am from Torshavn really bothered us. We are usually easy to please and very tolerant of noise, but this was excessive, and every night!