Passport Alert

roger001

2 minutes ago, kilkoyne said:

I'm assuming you are aware you can look up the status of your application online anytime, correct?

I didn't until I read this topic thread. Thus I will wait until a few days prior to final payment date - Sept. 29th, check the status if we have not received passports and go from there.   Thanks. 

45 minutes ago, kdmbluerzr said:

I didn't until I read this topic thread. Thus I will wait until a few days prior to final payment date - Sept. 29th, check the status if we have not received passports and go from there.   Thanks. 

Once you're in the processing phase you'll have a better idea of when you might receive it. It could take a month or more to get into processing, then up to 6 more weeks for "approved" and 6 more weeks to mail it. 

My passport is "In Process". The wait times are ridiculous. 6 weeks to mail it?

Application Status: In Process

The U.S. Department of State has received your application for your passport book on 06/24/2021. We're now reviewing your application and supporting documents.

You requested expedited service when you applied, which we are currently processing within 6 weeks. Our processing times do not include mailing times, which could add 6 weeks to the door-to-door time.

Edited by kilkoyne

16 minutes ago, kilkoyne said:

Once you're in the processing phase you'll have a better idea of when you might receive it. It could take a month or more to get into processing, then up to 6 more weeks for "approved" and 6 more weeks to mail it. 

The U.S. Department of State has received your application for your passport book on 06/24/2021. We're now reviewing your application and supporting documents.

You requested expedited service when you applied, which we are currently processing within 6 weeks. Our processing times do not include mailing times, which could add 6 weeks to the door-to-door time.

I read via the link you shared earlier that once your application shows received and in process you can upgrade the process to expedite, but even if I do that I'm not sure if I would get my passport in time to do the checkin process in a timely manner for the Nov. 28th cruise.  So nuts.

I sure didn't see the updated passport service timeline info when I began the renewal process a couple of weeks ago, wouldn't have submitted for renewal yet! If it was posted at that time don't know how in H**L I missed it, cause it's sure jumps out at ya now.  Thanks again for input. 

20 minutes ago, kdmbluerzr said:

I read via the link you shared earlier that once your application shows received and in process you can upgrade the process to expedite, but even if I do that I'm not sure if I would get my passport in time to do the checkin process in a timely manner for the Nov. 28th cruise.  So nuts.

I sure didn't see the updated passport service timeline info when I began the renewal process a couple of weeks ago, wouldn't have submitted for renewal yet! If it was posted at that time don't know how in H**L I missed it, cause it's sure jumps out at ya now.  Thanks again for input. 

If yours gets to "In Processing" within the next 4 (or maybe 5) weeks then I think you'll be ok. It takes less than a minute to check online to see.

You will know more in a month from now. You'll be able to decide then and it will be before your final cruise payment date.  Best of luck to ya.

Edited by kilkoyne
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, caitlynambrai said:

I was able to speak with someone from the passport agency this morning about the passport applications we sent a week ago. (The person who helped us with our forms at the local USPS reassured us that we did not have to expedite our applications, so we didn't pay the extra money. After reading different articles about the passport applications being delayed, I started seriously second guessing my decision!)  

Once I was finally connected with an agent,  I was told that 1) until the system shows that my application is in process online, they cannot do anything to expedite it. It can be up to 6 weeks for it to show up as "in process". 2) If I DO choose to change it over to an expedited application, it can take up to 20 business days to make the change. So, in my situation, I can pay an additional $60 per application and only have it move over to the expedited side  about 2.5 months from now, and then they still have to process it. I stated to the lady helping me that it sounded as though there would be no advantage from expediting our applications after the fact, and she agreed.  She did state that the 18 week turnaround is the worst case scenario right now. Most applications are not taking 18 weeks.  As my travel is 19 weeks after we submitted our applications, I am going to get a lot of practice trying to calm my anxiety. 

(FYI: I called right at 8am and was on hold for 33 minutes. The automated message provided me with an accurate status update every 5 minutes. Earlier in the week, I called at 8:06 and was told the wait time was 1 hour 30 min. I stayed on hold for 40 min and the length of my hold time never changed, per the automated message. If you're calling, call at 8am sharp. I tried tricking the system and called at 7:59 am but seemed to get stuck in the system as the system changed over at 8am. I had to hang up and dial again)

After re-reading your comments here, it appears I am in somewhat the same boat you are in. Looks like you submitted your application approx a week before I did. I too, was having thoughts about upgrading to expedite as soon as my status shows in process, however in this situation don't think it will do any good. 

You must have an upcoming cruise about the same time I do. Late Nov.  Good luck to you.

• Like 1

Just now, kilkoyne said:

If yours gets to "In Processing" within the next 4 (or maybe 5) weeks then I think you'll be ok. It takes less than a minute to check online to see.

You will know more in a month from now. You'll be able to decide then and it will be before your final cruise payment date.  Best of luck to ya.

Thanks much. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kdmbluerzr said:

After re-reading your comments here, it appears I am in somewhat the same boat you are in. Looks like you submitted your application approx a week before I did. I too, was having thoughts about upgrading to expedite as soon as my status shows in process, however in this situation don't think it will do any good. 

You must have an upcoming cruise about the same time I do. Late Nov.  Good luck to you.

Nov 20  on the Epic TA.

If it takes 18 weeks, it will come in less than a week before we fly out.

I'm so grateful that they ask for travel dates on the application!!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, caitlynambrai said:

Nov 20  on the Epic TA.

If it takes 18 weeks, it will come in less than a week before we fly out.

I'm so grateful that they ask for travel dates on the application!!

I didn't realize that the asking of travel dates on the application was meaningful. So by including that info on the appl, will that ensure you will receive your new passport prior to sail date? 

That might make a difference in what I do come September 29th. 

While traveling today and listening to news radio, heard a congressman being interviewed about this issue.  He said the number of calls he is getting for his constituents desperate for their passports ha skyrocketed lately.  And, he said he does al the can but the State Department just doesn't seem to be able to accomplish with the limited staffing on duty.  

On 7/15/2021 at 7:04 AM, roger001 said:

If you need a passport renewal for cruising soon, plan ahead.  Just read today the US State Dept. said that passport issuance, even expedited, will now take between 12 and 18 weeks to get.  They said that any application given them now will probably not be processed until fall.  

Mine took 4 months and i had to contact a congressmens office. They want all back to work but them

My countys tax offices and such only is open 3 days a week now.  

1 hour ago, kdmbluerzr said:

I didn't realize that the asking of travel dates on the application was meaningful. So by including that info on the appl, will that ensure you will receive your new passport prior to sail date? 

Its really not. They could care less i had them on there still took longer.  

5 hours ago, kilkoyne said:

Since there's a new "Top Cop" at the USPS,  delivery times for just about any class of mail have gone down the tubers!They ( the top echelon) have taken the SERVICE out of the United States Postal Service.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cruiserbear55 said:

Since there's a new "Top Cop" at the USPS,  delivery times for just about any class of mail have gone down the tubers!They ( the top echelon) have taken the SERVICE out of the United States Postal Service.

Actually from what I've read from peoples' experiences, the actual USPS mail time isn't the real hold up. It's the "mailing time" where it sits in the building after the passport was processed/approved.

There's a forum called flyertalk where people have discussed their passport renewal experiences times thoroughly. It doesn't make sense that it takes them so long just to get it into the USPS hands after approval.

Edited by kilkoyne

Anyone ever use the VisaCentral company NCL has listed on their site to get their passports?

If you need to obtain a passport quickly, please contact VisaCentral at 844-834-5702 and reference account 75006 for discounted VisaCentral service fees. VisaCentral can obtain a passport in as little as 48 hours.

Mailed my application, expired passport and fees on June 22nd, check was deposited June 24th.

Have been checking status online every few days and was "In-Process" since June 23rd. Just checked and saw my passport is approved and will be in my hands on or around July 21st. Four weeks turnover, with expedited processing and expedited shipping fees included.   

If you read though the application, it shows the best way to ship items to them, and offers a $17.56 extra fee for them to ship everything back to you faster than the stated 6 weeks shipping time on the website. 

Barring any hiccups preventing me from receiving my passport by next week, I can't complain about the service. 

One item I wonder is if people are filling out application incorrectly and inadvertently causing delays? 

• Like 3

On 7/17/2021 at 5:07 PM, kdmbluerzr said:

I’m not sure where your cruise is leaving from, but if it’s a closed loop cruise leaving from a US port, you don’t have to have a passport to cruise.  Good luck!

On 7/17/2021 at 3:01 PM, kilkoyne said:

FWIW I got the “in processing” text alert and then the passport showed up 2 days later. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, sunshine5 said:

I’m not sure where your cruise is leaving from, but if it’s a closed loop cruise leaving from a US port, you don’t have to have a passport to cruise.  Good luck!

It is round trip out of LA. Mexican Riviera aboard the Bliss. I am aware of this, however, not too sure I want to leave the USA without a passport, even to Mexico. Crap can happen.  Thanks! 

• Like 1

On 7/18/2021 at 2:15 AM, KISS Kruiser said:

Anyone ever use the VisaCentral company NCL has listed on their site to get their passports?

If you need to obtain a passport quickly, please contact VisaCentral at 844-834-5702 and reference account 75006 for discounted VisaCentral service fees. VisaCentral can obtain a passport in as little as 48 hours.

NO THEY CANNOT (obtain a passport in as little as 48 hours). They will charge you a fee (upwards of hundreds of dollars) but can do no more than what you can do by visiting travel.state.gov or calling the National passport information center. (They also charge $50 and up for the application that you can print for yourself for free)  If your trip is close and when I say close I mean within two weeks you can go to one of the passport offices in person and apply again that day. You can make an appointment by calling 1-877-487-2778 but the hold times will be looooong. The passport offices WILL NOT send you away if you arrive without an appointment. A few tips when renewing by mail...sign your application (sounds like a no brainer right...you'd be surprised), Read what an acceptable photo should be (no glasses, white background, no hats, headbands, bows etc. unless religious attire worn daily with a letter of explanation, clear, not grainy, centered with top or bottom of face not cut off and to leave room for security features. Make sure you submit the product you are renewing (card and or Book), the product cannot be renewed by mail if it was issued more that 15 years from the issue date. You need to apply in person at an acceptance facility. Complete both pages. Your application will be suspended if you skip page 2. And the wait times listed on travel.state.gov are sadly, accurate right now. 

Edited by Waverunner1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Waverunner1 said:

NO THEY CANNOT (obtain a passport in as little as 48 hours). They will charge you a fee (upwards of hundreds of dollars) but can do no more than what you can do by visiting travel.state.gov or calling the National passport information center. (They also charge $50 and up for the application that you can print for yourself for free)  If your trip is close and when I say close I mean within two weeks you can go to one of the passport offices in person and apply again that day. You can make an appointment by calling 1-877-487-2778 but the hold times will be looooong. The passport offices WILL NOT send you away if you arrive without an appointment. A few tips when renewing by mail...sign your application (sounds like a no brainer right...you'd be surprised), Read what an acceptable photo should be (no glasses, white background, no hats, headbands, bows etc. unless religious attire worn daily with a letter of explanation, clear, not grainy, centered with top or bottom of face not cut off and to leave room for security features. Make sure you submit the product you are renewing (card and or Book), the product cannot be renewed by mail if it was issued more that 15 years from the issue date. You need to apply in person at an acceptance facility. Complete both pages. Your application will be suspended if you skip page 2. And the wait times listed on travel.state.gov are sadly, accurate right now. 

Thank you so much for all the info!  I reviewed our applications multiple times and believe everything is correct. My trip is at the end of October but I paid the expedite fee and the expedited fee for when they send it back. 

7 hours ago, KISS Kruiser said:

Thank you so much for all the info!  I reviewed our applications multiple times and believe everything is correct. My trip is at the end of October but I paid the expedite fee and the expedited fee for when they send it back. 

My pleasure. You should receive your passports in plenty of time.

• Like 1

I used this helpful tool when tracking my passport renewal status:

https://passportstatus.state.gov/

• You enter your last name, date of birth and the last 4 digits of your SSN. You may not get a status update until 6 weeks after you apply. To me it was better than just waiting in the dark with no idea where my application was in the pipeline.
  • Like 3

Wife just completed her naturalization process, and we were shocked at the 12- to 18-weeks wait for a new US passport.  Glad we are not travelling internationally any time soon.  Hopefully by next March she'll have her US passport and we can go on our 20th anniversary cruise.  Ha!