Question about medical evac/birth certificate/passport

We are cruising Oct 31 out of Port Canaveral.  We purchase Carnival's trip insurance and also Medjetassist for medical evac.  Here's the wrinkle.  The passport office is so backed up, we are being told that it's a minimum of 18-20 weeks processing even with expedited so our passports will not be here on time.  We both have our enhanced driver's licenses and our birth certificates.  My issue is this.  If there is a medical emergency, does the insurance companies help you get a temporary passport in case you need to be emergency evacuated back to the states?  We both have health issues which is why we buy insurance in the first place.  Any help would be appreciated!

5 hours ago, forsakenprincess said:

We are cruising Oct 31 out of Port Canaveral.  We purchase Carnival's trip insurance and also Medjetassist for medical evac.  Here's the wrinkle.  The passport office is so backed up, we are being told that it's a minimum of 18-20 weeks processing even with expedited so our passports will not be here on time.  We both have our enhanced driver's licenses and our birth certificates.  My issue is this.  If there is a medical emergency, does the insurance companies help you get a temporary passport in case you need to be emergency evacuated back to the states?  We both have health issues which is why we buy insurance in the first place.  Any help would be appreciated!

Ask Medijet. Also if you live in Florida you don't have an enhanced drivers license. They are only issued in a few states and Florida is not one of them. You probably mean you have a Real ID license. Those will only be needed for domestic lights after May 2023. It does not matter though since you can't fly internationaly on any drivers license. Ask Medijet and your insurance. Some travel insurance companies have a help desk to help with travel.

Edited by Charles4515

A couple of things.

Medjet will only evac you if you are in an official "hospital" as an "inpatient". A clinic or urgent care facility or whatever is not considered a hospital.

If 1 of you is in a hospital and does require you medivac (or, you need to fly home because you missed the ship) the American embassy will work with you to issue an emergency passport to get back home. It could take a few days though.  Travel insurance hotline will probably "assist" in this but that's it. They are just going to tell you where the nearest embassy is.

I'm going to add this just to ensure you understand how travel insurance works. I say this because you ask if insurance companies help you and you only have 4 posts so, maybe you're new to travel/travel insurance.

Travel insurance is reimbursement only. You pay any money up front and then when you get home, you file tons of paperwork and then you "might" get reimbursed.

Carnivals insurance policy is only good for a maximum of $10,000 for medical. Last year a gentleman had an issue with diabetes in Mexico. The hospital wouldn't let him leave until they got paid their $14,000.

Edited by klfrodo

31 minutes ago, forsakenprincess said:

So what do you do if you get sick in a foreign country and don’t have that 14000?  

Some travel insurance will guarantee payment, but be careful to read the policy or get help from a broker.

Otherwise, you need some high limit credit cards or a celebrity to come to your aid. If I remember correctly, that is how the guy in Mexico got home. I have seen on-line crowd funding campaigns for folks stuck without insurance.

7 hours ago, forsakenprincess said:

So what do you do if you get sick in a foreign country and don’t have that 14000?  

Family, friends, request help on social media like go (fund) me, church, in this instance, a celebrity stepped up to help.

Edited by klfrodo

Interesting topic.  I applied for a passport renewal in May.  My passport expired in March 2022.  I'm on a cruise departing on 8/16/2021 and September 19, 2021.  Passport office is working on my passport, but I don't think I'll have it for a few months given their huge backup.  I requested my birth certificate and hopefully will have it before 8/16.  Hopefully I'll have that.  One problem resolved.  I have Allianz insurance for the year and It looks like they will pay a claim.  That doesn't help to get me home from a foreign hospital.  So if anyone know what insurance company will pay up to get me out of a hospital and on a flight home, please let me know.

44 minutes ago, dgreeney said:

Interesting topic.  I applied for a passport renewal in May.  My passport expired in March 2022.  I'm on a cruise departing on 8/16/2021 and September 19, 2021.  Passport office is working on my passport, but I don't think I'll have it for a few months given their huge backup.  I requested my birth certificate and hopefully will have it before 8/16.  Hopefully I'll have that.  One problem resolved.  I have Allianz insurance for the year and It looks like they will pay a claim.  That doesn't help to get me home from a foreign hospital.  So if anyone know what insurance company will pay up to get me out of a hospital and on a flight home, please let me know.

This sounds like an annual medical only policy, correct?

If it does not have any provisions for evacuation, then I don’t know if it is worth your while to buy another policy just to get a ticket home. Evacuation coverage pays for the flight home, and it is usually commercial air after you have fully recovered.

Now, if you are concerned about evacuation coverage that would fly you to another hospital, you could look at MedJet Assist; but you have to be in the hospital and have the doctor’s concurrence that you have to be flown elsewhere before it would activate.

I’m not really sure what you are looking for. Insurance will “get you out of the hospital and fly you home” only if you are so sick that you need to go to a better equipped hospital or one of your choice with MedJet, but you still have to meet some requirements.  

If the Allianz policy does not address this, take a look at MedJet.

Edited: I took a quick look at the Allianz policies. I believe the language is transportation to the nearest appropriate facility. If you want more than that, try MedJet but remember that the flight is not entirely at your discretion. It has to be a transfer from a hospital where you have been admitted and with approval of both the attending doctor and MedJet.

Edited by Babr

11 hours ago, forsakenprincess said:

That is a question few ask and there is no simple answer because it depends on where you run up that bill.  And that is probably the best (and most honest) answer you will get.  

As to those on a "closed loop cruise" who have no Passport and would happen to get put off the ship because they need hospitalized.  I think it it is accurate to say "it will work out" although not having that Passport will add to the usual hassles.   You will eventually get home.  As to how you pay your medical bill the hospital in many countries will want payment before you get discharged.  You would not be the first person to contact family and friends begging for money.  That is why we think that folks who travel without adequate medical/evacuation coverage are truly rolling the dice.  And if it comes up Craps.....it will be a real bummer.

And finally a word about Medjetassist (I call it the Cadillac of evacuation policies) and other med evac policies.  Many folks just do not understand (or read the fine print) that evacuation is not simply up to you.   Even Medjetassist requires you to be hospitalized and you must have the approval (for evac) from both your attending physician, a receiving physician (to whatever hospital you are being evacuated to) plus the approval of the insurer.    This is not a situation where you are sick, decide you want to be evacuated, and just summon a plane.  Trust me that it does not happen.

I have been an outspoken CC poster (for many years) that folks need to pay more attention to their medical and evacuation coverage and not be as concerned about cancellation.  But these days folks only seem to consider cancellation.  So let me set everyone straight.  When you book a cruise you obligate yourself to spend X number of dollars for a trip.  Even if you cancel and lose all your money you will be no worse off (financially) then if you had taken the trip.  In simple terms, you will survive!  But if you have a medical emergency your potential liability is unlimited!  And a basic rule for buying insurance is to prioritize insuring the biggest financial risk...which is going to be medical.  If you want to pay for cancellation and/or interruption insurance then by all means spend the money.  But the lack of insurance will not ruin your life.  If you have a major medical emergency and get hit with over $100,000 in bills (which can be incurred within a few days) then that will be a life changer for most folks.

Hank

20 hours ago, dgreeney said:

Coincidence:  Just receive email from Dept of State indicating they are working on my passport.  Sould have it in a couple of weeks.   

I also reviewed my Allianz policy.  They will send me to the nearest appropriate hospital.  No problem there.  If I have a serious injury or illness, they will arrange to fly me back to my home or a hospital near my home.  Ok there.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dgreeney said:

Coincidence:  Just receive email from Dept of State indicating they are working on my passport.  Sould have it in a couple of weeks.   

I also reviewed my Allianz policy.  They will send me to the nearest appropriate hospital.  No problem there.  If I have a serious injury or illness, they will arrange to fly me back to my home or a hospital near my home.  Ok there.   

Good to know. I saw the part about nearest appropriate facility. I did not see the part about flying you home if you wanted to leave that appropriate facility, but mine was a cursory search.