TA Laundry Rooms

57eric

I've been on a bunch of TAs and I can state that the laundry rooms are usually quite hectic.  If you get lucky by the time of day, such as at dinner time, you will find a free machine.  And sometimes you'll have better luck if you are willing to check out several decks.  Even though the duration of the TA is short, we all seem to have a lot of dirty laundry.

• Like 2

We sailed three weeks TA in 2019 (first week EB, next two weeks WB). The first week we were several doors down from the laundry - there was a line at 7 a.m. Coming back, DH joined the 7 a.m. crowd to do laundry. One time he watched a fellow laundry denizen waiting for his wash to finish so he could put it in the dryer - then another pax came rushing in with an armful of wet clothes that she must have washed in her cabin and took the dryer he thought would be his.😮

Having just boarded and making my way to my cabin on a westbound TA two years ago, I happened to pass a laundry room as someone was coming out - and through the open door I could see it was already full of people. It surprised me, which is probably why I remember it now.  

My best laundry room experiences were when my cabin was just doors away and I could pop in and out within seconds to grab a free machine and transfer wash.  Ah, the simple pleasures! 

Some of you will remember the estimable Cruachan, who made so many worthwhile contributions to,this board. I have mentioned this one before, but it sticks in the memory. He said that, despite have served Her Majesty for many years in a regiment noted for its robust approach, he had never encounter savagery on a level with that in the QE2 Laundry. Of course, she only had the one.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

There was a laundry room across from our stateroom. I was keeping watch, saw an open washer, turned to pick up my laundry, turned around to leave the room and…too late. 

Frustration won’t ruin my holiday. We sent our clothes out for laundering after that, and plan to do so again on our next voyage (21 days). 

2 hours ago, Tonopah said:

There was a laundry room across from our stateroom. I was keeping watch, saw an open washer, turned to pick up my laundry, turned around to leave the room and…too late. 

Frustration won’t ruin my holiday. We sent our clothes out for laundering after that, and plan to do so again on our next voyage (21 days). 

That's the best way: pay Cunard to do it.

However, you can save a few bucks on port days if you don't mind waiting a bit before getting off the ship. The laundry rooms are often empty after most passengers have gone ashore, especially on the first port day after a string of sea days. Another money-saving idea is, if you wear wick-dry t-shirts or other wick-dry clothing, just wash them in the sink and hang them up on the clothesline ("Stendofilo," I think it's called) above the bathtub. They're usually dry in a matter of hours. But I would never try that with cotton clothes; you'll be bringing wet clothes home with you!

3 hours ago, jimdee3636 said:

That's the best way: pay Cunard to do it.

However, you can save a few bucks on port days if you don't mind waiting a bit before getting off the ship. The laundry rooms are often empty after most passengers have gone ashore, especially on the first port day after a string of sea days. Another money-saving idea is, if you wear wick-dry t-shirts or other wick-dry clothing, just wash them in the sink and hang them up on the clothesline ("Stendofilo," I think it's called) above the bathtub. They're usually dry in a matter of hours. But I would never try that with cotton clothes; you'll be bringing wet clothes home with you!

I rarely travel with cotton now - because of just this. Bamboo is actually worse.  I use rayon, silk, some polyesters, merino in cooler climates. All drive ovrenight in the bathroom if you leave the fan on