La Paz private excursion

Sail away MK

Not to bust your bubble but Todos Santos is not everything it's cracked up to be. It's a small Mexican town and it claims to be an artists colony. And there are artists there but the pricing is pretty high for their "art". Hotel California is pure Mexican marketing. The hotel has had several names and even the Eagles song writer Don Henley has disavowed any connection.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/opinion/the-conversation/sd-hotel-california-a-brief-timeline-of-lawsuit-over-mexican-resort-name-20180119-htmlstory.html

The Hotel definitely plays off the Eagles Song regardless of what they say. Right across the street - a restaurant called "Tequila Sunrise" where they also push Eagles t-shirts, etc. The hotel does have a nice inside patio dining area and the food is good. But our favorite go to restaurant is the Tequila Sunrise across the street. My wife and our friend love the seafood stuffed peppers they have there. We haven't been there for several years so it's possible things have changed (but unlikely).

Pro surfers do go to Todos Santos but it is considered an advanced area for surfing.

La Paz in December should be great for whale watching and swimming with the whale sharks.

Thanks so much.  I am definitely looking for a whale shark experience.  Looking for a private vendor. Any ideas?  Hubby is not so adventurous and wants more of of sight-see and lunch kind of day. That's why I thought of Hotel California.  We will compare notes back on board ship.

We have done it some years ago with a small group as a shiptour, to and from Pichilingue (port of La Paz). We liked the drive and Todos Santos. Maybe this website can help you.https://www.toursbylocals.com/find_tour&area=1273

The tour is also doable to/from Cabo San Lucas. 

Edited by Ine

5 hours ago, Sail away MK said:

Thanks so much.  I am definitely looking for a whale shark experience.  Looking for a private vendor. Any ideas?  Hubby is not so adventurous and wants more of of sight-see and lunch kind of day. That's why I thought of Hotel California.  We will compare notes back on board ship.

I would say look at the La Paz forum on TripAdvisor and also the Cabo forum as well. Should be able to find a recommendation there for a whale shark tour.

On 7/18/2021 at 10:00 AM, Sail away MK said:

Todos Santos or Hotel California

While Todos Santos isn't a bad town and is one of Mexico's "magic towns," the Hotel California isn't worth the day for a visit.  It has really no connection to the song if that is the motivation for visiting.

On 7/19/2021 at 6:24 AM, Sail away MK said:

Hubby is not so adventurous and wants more of of sight-see and lunch kind of day. That's why I thought of Hotel California

If that is the case, why not simply head out to Balandra Beach and get lunch on the beach?  It gives you a nice view of "Isla Espiritu Santo" and you can even get a boat tour there if it is whale shark season for an hour or two.

I like Balandra in that it has more services than Pichilingue - which is actually on the way.

• 1 month later...
On 8/31/2021 at 7:51 PM, riffatsea said:

Isn't it closer from Cabo to go to Todos Santos?

Why not go into LaPaz itself if you want to visit a town?

I enjoyed kayaking one year from the port stop near LaPaz

Actually, the better/faster road goes through Todos Santos on your way to La Paz.  This is especially true from Cabo San Lucas side of the cape.  

BTW - the nearest port stop on the Sea of Cortez side in BCS would probably to Loreto. 

On 9/1/2021 at 11:32 AM, Sail away MK said:

Thanks everyone.  Hubby is super bummed that it is not the real Hotel California and will drink his sorrows away in a La Paz cantina.

Sorry for the shattering of your Hubby's dream.  If you are in La Paz, heading out to one of the beach bars on Tecolote Beach would be a great alternative unless you want to simply be in town.  A stop at Balandra is also along the route and is super pretty.

On 9/1/2021 at 11:32 AM, Sail away MK said:

Thanks everyone.  Hubby is super bummed that it is not the real Hotel California and will drink his sorrows away in a La Paz cantina.

Oh you shouldn't have told him....  you could have gone and told him, "that's the bar stool where Glen Fry sat; that's the corner where Don Henley passed out", etc and he'd have been happy as a clam.

2 hours ago, Sail away MK said:

You have all talked me out of Todos Santos. So back to part of my original question.  Does the Pichilingue area where we dock have those tour vans at the pier so you can go into La Paz  for sight seeing and maybe to Ballandra Beach for lunch?

Last time we did a cruise that included La Paz, there were buses that ran from the ship to the  commercial area of La Paz (Paseo Obregon) and we took a cab back, which was about $10 U.S. If you use a cab, negotiate a price before getting in.