Appeals Court Blocks Order Lifting CDC Virus Rules on Cruise Ships

Host CJSKIDS

I don't think anyone is surprised by this ruling (including NCL). The CDC will always maintain some level of control over the cruise industry in spite of the over-reach ruling.  I think this will play out in court until the current order expires (10/31).

Of course, the most interesting question becomes, what changes (if any) will the CDC make?

• Like 1

Greetings, Everyone, from South Beach 20 minutes from Port of Miami. Every time I book a cruise, something happens that makes me rethink the whole thing. In Singapore all passengers were confined to staterooms even though everyone was supposed to be virus free at departure.  A woman who had previously tested negative  tested positive on the second day of the cruise, according to the story I read. That could happen on any cruise. On NCL my husband and I sailed  penthouse and Haven. We loved the services of the butler and the extra perks but I can't recall meeting solos up there.  I booked the Studio  to meet solo people in the special lounge. Now, though, because the Studio is inside, and I fear being confined, it may have to go. In the good old days, when noro virus hit, only the sick were confined. Some ship sites were closed, but the dining rooms and bars remained open.  In 60+ cruises, we never faced that but friends who did told us about it. Sadly, my cruising days may be over. 

Mary

15 hours ago, warburg said:

Greetings, Everyone, from South Beach 20 minutes from Port of Miami. Every time I book a cruise, something happens that makes me rethink the whole thing. In Singapore all passengers were confined to staterooms even though everyone was supposed to be virus free at departure.  A woman who had previously tested negative  tested positive on the second day of the cruise, according to the story I read. That could happen on any cruise. On NCL my husband and I sailed  penthouse and Haven. We loved the services of the butler and the extra perks but I can't recall meeting solos up there.  I booked the Studio  to meet solo people in the special lounge. Now, though, because the Studio is inside, and I fear being confined, it may have to go. In the good old days, when noro virus hit, only the sick were confined. Some ship sites were closed, but the dining rooms and bars remained open.  In 60+ cruises, we never faced that but friends who did told us about it. Sadly, my cruising days may be over. 

Mary

Singapore is a LOT different than the US. They require people to wear contact tracing devices and have a lot of strict rules. A lot of the Asian countries have similar contact tracing and quarantine rules. 

I am not at all worried about being confined to my room on a cruise out of the US. 

• Like 1

With all the uncertainties, I’m not even booked on a cruise until late 2022. I’m more afraid of being quarantined in my cabin than getting sick, 🤷🏼‍♀️ My preference is staying in studios, and can’t imagine not being allowed to leave for days on end. It would be tolerable with a balcony, at least you could see the water and sky. But staring at four walls, would make it like a prison. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, HuliHuli said:

So did Florida get a minority 3-judge panel on this court.  Might we be headed to an en banc review?  

The Panel vote was 2-1.

You might be right that Florida may try to request an enbanc review on the grounds that the matters' scope impacts significantly beyond this particular case. 

IANAL, so I don't know what the protocols or odds are of such happening.

Now also currently waiting to see if Florida's Motion on Friday to Transfer (to Middle District that already heard the Preliminary Injunction that was stayed then was overturned by the 11th Circuit) the NCL case from South Florida.

4 hours ago, sail_ORN said:

With all the uncertainties, I’m not even booked on a cruise until late 2022. I’m more afraid of being quarantined in my cabin than getting sick, 🤷🏼‍♀️ My preference is staying in studios, and can’t imagine not being allowed to leave for days on end. It would be tolerable with a balcony, at least you could see the water and sky. But staring at four walls, would make it like a prison. 

This was me February 2020 - I went towards the middle of the month and I had followed all the diamond princess twitter accounts. I ended up moving my cabin to a balcony because I couldn't imagine being confined in a studio (the first time I stayed in the studios I had a minor panic attack, but I've learned to love).  Then I booked for next February (moved my canceled 2/21 deposit) and again got a balcony.  With uncertainty of how they would handle a potential outbreak, I just can't go back to an inside room now. 

• Like 1

Other cruise lines are Severely restricting unvaccinated passengers and making them buy insurance and pay fees. So that path is still open to NCL if they lose.

It will be an interesting court case. My guess is this will hinge on Federal vs State and who has jurisdiction. Generally courts have given massive leeway to Federal on international transit. I would have to imagine this would apply in same way that an airport is on state land doesn't mean CBP can't conduct outbound custom/immigration checks in whatever manner they choose.