Cirque du Soleil

Does anybody know if they have a Cirque du Soleil show on the Getaway? If not separate then do they have this with one of their current shows? Thought I saw reference to this below the theater but don't see the venue on the deck plans. Also if they do is this a pre-booking item with a fee?

Thanks as always for any replies.

42 minutes ago, latebloomer56 said:

Does anybody know if they have a Cirque du Soleil show on the Getaway? If not separate then do they have this with one of their current shows? Thought I saw reference to this below the theater but don't see the venue on the deck plans. Also if they do is this a pre-booking item with a fee?

Thanks as always for any replies.

We saw Cirque Dreams in the Spiegel Tent dinner show venue on the NCL EPIC.  We saw Cirque Dreams and Steam on the Getaway (don't remember the name of the dinner theater venue).....This was in 2016 & 2017 if I remember correctly and both were European itineraries.  I don't think either of these shows are onboard at this time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, All-ready2cruise said:

NCL does not have, nor has there ever been, Cirque de Soleil show on NCL.  You may be thinking of the MSC meraviglia  which did have that show.  

NCL did have a circus dinner/entertainment show on some of the larger ships. 

I don't believe MSC has the actual Cirque De Soleil show either. I remember it being a knock off of the original too. Something about De Soleil making an off shoot company.

To the OP.... the Getaway has a Cirque show. It's not the official "De Soleil" show and they were sued for copyright infringement, but there was a Cirque show on the Getaway. We saw it. At that time it was included in the specialty dinner upgrade (when there wasn't a limit on specialty dining). It's a paid venue. I wasn't overly impressed. Here is the press release:

Norwegian Cruise Line Expands Cirque Dreams and Dinner Entertainment Experience (ncl.com)

• Like 1

Sorry, I was wrong about the ship however, here's the info re the Cirque de Soleil show which was to be on an MSC ship.  Not sure if the performances took place or not.

https://www.msccruises.com/en-gl/About-MSC/News/Cirque-Du-Soleil-At-Sea-MSC-Grandiosa.aspx

Geneva, Switzerland – 17th October 2019: MSC Cruises revealed today details of the two brand-new and original Cirque du Soleil at Sea shows coming exclusively to MSC Grandiosa. In COSMOS, Journey to the unbelievable, guests will experience a breathtaking voyage across the galaxy with a brave astronaut on a quest for self-discovery. Audiences of EXENTRICKS, Expect the unexpected, will be caught off guard at every turn in this high-spirited spectacle. 

Each Cirque du Soleil at Sea show is an original production and Cirque du Soleil are constantly pushing their creative boundaries, reinventing their processes, challenging the status quo and exploring new territories to create inspiring experiences that are sure to delight MSC Cruises guests.  

<snipped>

@All-ready2cruiseI remember this discussion on the MSC boards. There was some glitch with the original De Soleil company. I don't remember the exact outcome, but I thought it ended up being similar to NCl where they offered a cirque show just not the official "de Soleil". Or maybe it was that Cirque De Soleil filed bankruptcy ? The original reviews of the show were not great on MSC.  It's been awhile though, so I absolutely could be wrong but there was something screwy with Cir De Soleil on both NCL and MSC.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 7/19/2021 at 12:26 PM, All-ready2cruise said:

Yea, in the end, CdS went bankrupt and was sold.  They do have some events upcoming in Jan. 2022, maybe. Gotta wonder about that.   

Kind of a sad situation really.   

Cirque did not go bankrupt.  They filed for creditor protection - which is different than bankruptcy - and had a successful closing with a sale transaction with it's creditors.  This was as a result of COVID losses.  They've since relaunched in full force.  They are very much still active.  I went to a show just 2 months ago.

25 minutes ago, kookie72 said:

Cirque did not go bankrupt.  They filed for creditor protection - which is different than bankruptcy - and had a successful closing with a sale transaction with it's creditors.  This was as a result of COVID losses.  They've since relaunched in full force.  They are very much still active.  I went to a show just 2 months ago.

FYI, they posted that 13 months ago.

• Haha 1

If anyone saw this post and is wondering if there is any sort of Cirque show on the Getaway, there is not. The lovely garbage men JunNk show is now there in place of the Cirque show. Blech...it's cool to watch a talented street performer. It's not cool to watch "talented" performers get paid to play a garbage can. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, kookie72 said:

Protection from creditors is one part of the bankruptcy code in the US.  

Chapter 11 of the United States Bankruptcy Code provide for "reorganization" including protection from creditors.  The intent of filing bankruptcy under Chapter 11 is to emerge from bankruptcy as a viable entity to carry on doing business.  Chapter 7 provides for liquidation of all assets and cessation of business operations.  Either is generally considered bankruptcy.

Edited by PATRLR

On 7/19/2021 at 9:08 AM, All-ready2cruise said:

Sorry, I was wrong about the ship however, here's the info re the Cirque de Soleil show which was to be on an MSC ship.  Not sure if the performances took place or not.

https://www.msccruises.com/en-gl/About-MSC/News/Cirque-Du-Soleil-At-Sea-MSC-Grandiosa.aspx

<snipped>

MSC did have space on Meraviglia and Grandosia designed by Cirque for performances. We did enjoy a couple of shows on Meraviglia.

All of this went by the wayside with Covid.

We have since sailed Meraviglia and space is now used as music performance venue .

Cirque Du Soleil is still doing performances on tour. Here in Seattle we have regular performances.

2 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

If anyone saw this post and is wondering if there is any sort of Cirque show on the Getaway, there is not. The lovely garbage men JunNk show is now there in place of the Cirque show. Blech...it's cool to watch a talented street performer. It's not cool to watch "talented" performers get paid to play a garbage can. 

Is that along the lines of Stomp?  I did enjoy Stomp off-B'way and wouldn't mind seeing it onboard.

I also saw Cirque Dreams on the Epiq around 2011.  Meh.

Edited by phillygwm

25 minutes ago, phillygwm said:

Is that along the lines of Stomp?  I did enjoy Stomp off-B'way and wouldn't mind seeing it onboard.

I also saw Cirque Dreams on the Epiq around 2011.  Meh.

It's exactly Stomp, just JunNk. You have to purchase the dinner show to see it in the Illusionarium space (at least on the Getaway). I'm sad the Cirque show wasn't good. I had hopes for it...even though I wasn't able to see it.

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

. I'm sad the Cirque show wasn't good. I had hopes for it...even though I wasn't able to see it.

I saw the "cirque" show on Getaway. I thought it was good, for a ship based show.  I enjoyed it and recommended to others that it was worth using an SDP to see.   The meal they served though?  Not so much.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, PATRLR said:

Protection from creditors is one part of the bankruptcy code in the US.  

Chapter 11 of the United States Bankruptcy Code provide for "reorganization" including protection from creditors.  The intent of filing bankruptcy under Chapter 11 is to emerge from bankruptcy as a viable entity to carry on doing business.  Chapter 7 provides for liquidation of all assets and cessation of business operations.  Either is generally considered bankruptcy.

Cirque is a Canadian company.  US laws don't apply to a Canadian company.  In Canada protection from creditors is different than filing for bankruptcy. 

23 minutes ago, kookie72 said:

Cirque is a Canadian company.  US laws don't apply to a Canadian company.  In Canada protection from creditors is different than filing for bankruptcy. 

It's still bankruptcy.  Bankruptcy is NOT the same as going out of business or liquidation of ones assets.  Would you believe Merriam Webster:

"a debtor (such as an individual or an organization) whose property is subject to voluntary or involuntary administration under the bankruptcy laws for the benefit of the debtor's creditors"

How about Oxford:

"(of a person or organization) declared in law unable to pay outstanding debts."

The Canadian CCA is a bankruptcy law whether you want to believe it or not.

40 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

It's still bankruptcy.  Bankruptcy is NOT the same as going out of business or liquidation of ones assets.  Would you believe Merriam Webster:

"a debtor (such as an individual or an organization) whose property is subject to voluntary or involuntary administration under the bankruptcy laws for the benefit of the debtor's creditors"

How about Oxford:

"(of a person or organization) declared in law unable to pay outstanding debts."

The Canadian CCA is a bankruptcy law whether you want to believe it or not.

Doubling down huh?  OK - enjoy.  I'm tapping out.