FCC Lessons Learned

Interesting, frustrating, informative, experience applying a FCC to a previously booked vacation.

Many months ago I put down a minimal deposit on a cruise.  The deposit was significantly less than taxes, port fees, grats, and VPP.  a few days ago I applied part of an FCC to the cruise, expecting to cover all of the cruise fare ( not the above mentioned taxes, etc).  The FCC was significantly more than the cruise fare, many times more.  After applying the FCC, I went on to pay via credit card the remaining outstanding cruise balance.  I was within 2 weeks of final payment, and wanted the whole thing out of the way.  In the process, I actually ended up making an overpayment by the same amount as the original deposit.  

Note, I do not expect this ship to sail, as there are only two port calls, and one is at Grand Cayman.  If it does sail without GC on the itinerary, I intend on exercising Cruise with Confidence.  I'm just keeping options open.

Lesson:  Wait for confirmation that the FCC has been applied, and examine the invoice in the FCC e-mail.  Make sure the FCC has covered the full cruise fare.  Do not make any additional payment until that invoice has been received.  I'm going to end up with even more on my FCC than I started out with.  I now need to adjust travel plans to account for using even more FCC before Sept 2022 than before. 

Tough spot to be in:  I have to take another cruise, because it's already paid for.  (Cue the world's smallest violin.). 

Yes, I know I can opt for a refund, but that extra 25% is hard to pass up.

I guess you paid through the website?  The cruise line websites are so wanky that I will only call and make a payment through the cruise line rep and wait for the invoice before I hang up.  It should be easier to pay online as I pay every bill online through the company website or an app. There is just something that I don't trust about the cruise lines sites. I will only use it to price the cruise as well. I never booked through the site either.

• Like 1

I almost agree with you, I_am_cruisin'.  But.....  Have you had the pleasant experience of waiting on hold, then waiting while an agent consults via text with a second, third, fourth, ... agent?  Some eastern religions teach that kind of serene patience, unfortunately it's not appreciated here in the western world.  I was raised in the "I want it, and I want it now" era.  If it is at all possible to avoid what passes for customer service in our internet age, I will do so.  If I count up time on hold at my prorated hourly wage, I can afford losing out on the rock bottom price for a cruise.  Possibly missing out on the frustration makes the cruise experience more pleasant.  Then again, if I could learn the Zen like calm that comes from the pleasant experience of waiting on hold, maybe I would be much more relaxed on a cruise.  Maybe this is a lesson I'm not ready to learn.

2 hours ago, gmerick said:

I almost agree with you, I_am_cruisin'.  But.....  Have you had the pleasant experience of waiting on hold, then waiting while an agent consults via text with a second, third, fourth, ... agent?  Some eastern religions teach that kind of serene patience, unfortunately it's not appreciated here in the western world.  I was raised in the "I want it, and I want it now" era.  If it is at all possible to avoid what passes for customer service in our internet age, I will do so.  If I count up time on hold at my prorated hourly wage, I can afford losing out on the rock bottom price for a cruise.  Possibly missing out on the frustration makes the cruise experience more pleasant.  Then again, if I could learn the Zen like calm that comes from the pleasant experience of waiting on hold, maybe I would be much more relaxed on a cruise.  Maybe this is a lesson I'm not ready to learn.

I call off hours and have never had long hold times. I also put the phone on speaker and do other things while I'm waiting. If something gets screwed up like what happened to you it will result in a call anyway.  May as well cut to the chase.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

I call off hours and have never had long hold times. I also put the phone on speaker and do other things while I'm waiting. If something gets screwed up like what happened to you it will result in a call anyway.  May as well cut to the chase.

I play online puzzles while I wait. 😁 It helps with the time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Iamcruzin said:

I watch TV and/or Post on CC.  I never call between 9 and 5. I call either early in the morning or late at night.

I usually call during the off hours also. It’s been a real pain because they always put me on hold and have to speak to a supervisor. I have had fccs from 2019 when they canceled the Indy on us which rolled over to the Brilliance which was cancelled due to covid. Applying them and the obc has been a pain. These were fccs that were given to us and not the ones from the 125% things. I don’t know why, but they always seem to be confused by these. Hopefully I will have used them up by the end of the year.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

That's the risk you run with any large on line agency.  If you want personalized service then search for a TA that you can call, e mail, messanger etc directly

24 minutes ago, brillohead said:

But in my case, I like using a TA who has been available to me almost literally 24/7/365 and is also proactive in discovering deals they think I would like and letting me know

Ditto!  One who seems to be working every minute I am awake and offers outstanding service!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, long4acruise said:

Ditto!  One who seems to be working every minute I am awake and offers outstanding service!

Exactly... I'm not sure mine ever even sleeps! 

I work nights (I'm a nurse) so I often do my business at odd hours.  I'll send an email at midnight or 6am, fully expecting a response later during business hours, and my email dings with a notification of a reply five minutes later!

• Like 1