Decision date for Sept 25th cruises.

wowzz

Thank you to those who kindly clarified the current position on going out of the UK on the Spanish and Portuguese cruise I wish to book.  Returning to the Government site I had in fact not read properly the paragraph above the text I quoted, so apologies. To those who thought I was trying to cause trouble I was not, I had merely misread a very long and complicated passage on a Government site. 

As I previously said I am confused by the testing required for various destinations and across the board the cruise lines are not providing much information or assistance.  I have 4 other cruises booked on different lines - Celebrity (UK), Cunard (Caribbean),  P&O (Canaries) and NCL (transatlantic). At the time of booking only Celebrity gave information and guidance on testing, the others sending a long convoluted email stating I will be responsible for organising all required tests after I had paid my deposit. As it is a moving situation for all and we get nearer to these departure dates it can be very daunting to try to do the "right thing".  Surely passengers deserve better than to plough through social media and boards such as these to try to understand what is required. We are not all in a position to speak with people who are travelling already hence seeking information from people on the CC boards. I may be a little slow on understanding what is needed so asking questions is the only way I can work it out.

Regarding returning to UK I note that my assumption on tests may be correct and the tests will need to be done onboard?   Having spoken to my travel agent this morning she suggested waiting until after this week's review on UK requirements before booking in case the situation changes. This seems sensible so I will wait until Friday before committing to purchase.  

Again, thank you to those who understood it was a question not a rant.

• Like 7

We have to pay our balance for Jan 1st Caribbean on Oct 3rd which is creeping up on us with no information available to make a decision. The amount it cost is too much to spend to have to remain on the ship or only take ships excursions. Also the cost of test could be prohibitive and frankly too much hassle if it is for many ports.

At the moment our decision would be to move it but am frankly frightened of missing out if everything is OK as we have been nowhere at all since Fen 2020 we need a holiday. I think it is unreasonable of P&O to expect payment 90 days out without being able to give us all the information about what we are buying. I think a return to 30 terms would be reasonable when everything is still unclear.

Edited by bee-ess
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, bee-ess said:

We have to pay our balance for Jan 1st Caribbean on Oct 3rd which is creeping up on us with no information available to make a decision. The amount it cost is too much to spend to have to remain on the ship or only take ships excursions. Also the cost of test could be prohibitive and frankly too much hassle if it is for many ports.

At the moment our decision would be to move it but am frankly frightened of missing out if everything is OK as we have been nowhere at all since Fen 2020 we need a holiday. I think it is unreasonable of P&O to expect payment 90 days out without being able to give us all the information about what we are buying. I think a return to 30 terms would be reasonable when everything is still unclear.

It would, but it would seriously hurt their cash flow, which is probably why it won't be.

• Like 1

I have just had a very interesting conversation with a P&O staff member who called me about something totally different.  During the call we got into a discussion about 25/9  sailings.  The man informed me they are still waiting for final go ahead and plans will be formulated then.  He suggested waiting for the update this week before booking.  That has been very helpful. I got the impression they are still uncertain.  Incidentally he was calling with response to problems I had in July with my Britannia booking and I was surprised to receive a personal call.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Megabear2 said:

I have just had a very interesting conversation with a P&O staff member who called me about something totally different.  During the call we got into a discussion about 25/9  sailings.  The man informed me they are still waiting for final go ahead and plans will be formulated then.  He suggested waiting for the update this week before booking.  That has been very helpful. I got the impression they are still uncertain.  Incidentally he was calling with response to problems I had in July with my Britannia booking and I was surprised to receive a personal call.

It's only 4 weeks until the restart, if they are still waiting for a final go ahead, then I doubt they will be starting as planned.   That probably means they may continue with some seacation cruises, since I doubt they will want to lay up Britannia and Iona again, and if so they will need to put them on sale pretty darn quick.

Isn't that what RCL have done with Anthem due to the uncertainty? It does seem to make commercial sense to have a backup plan.  With all the rumours about what might go red from our government based on numbers coming back with Covid rather than cases in the destinations I presumed that's what he may have been referring to, especially with the comment about not booking until after this week's update.

6 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

It's only 4 weeks until the restart, if they are still waiting for a final go ahead, then I doubt they will be starting as planned.   That probably means they may continue with some seacation cruises, since I doubt they will want to lay up Britannia and Iona again, and if so they will need to put them on sale pretty darn quick.

We are, like I guess many folk awaiting some definite news before booking anything else. If P&O wait too long, our next booking will be with TUI for a late summer, early autumn break to Spain/ Canaries.

17 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Isn't that what RCL have done with Anthem due to the uncertainty? It does seem to make commercial sense to have a backup plan.  With all the rumours about what might go red from our government based on numbers coming back with Covid rather than cases in the destinations I presumed that's what he may have been referring to, especially with the comment about not booking until after this week's update.

Yes, they are being quite heavily discounted at the minute. Probably because a UK Seacation is not massively appealing in late September and October.

• Like 1

They also seem to have their testing regime in place which helps with planning as you can look up your intended cruise and see what is required and when.  They also offer reduced cost est packages and it seems to be between £20 and £90 depending on itinerary.  As I have family already booked on Iona cruise I hope to join them but not sure how much longer I should wait.

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

I've seen October RCL Anthem UK seacation crusies, but their at home/pharmacy PCR test regime puts me off, especially if there are issues validating them - not to mention the cost (though I think that is reimbursed though OBC). Right now, I think it would be unwise to book any non-UK cruises due to shifting circumstances in going out from the UK AND going back to hte Uk from the host country.

With cruises tending to have multiple country desitinations (unlike normal holidays), the problem will no doubt be magnified. For example a cruise going to Belgium & Holland from the UK could have interesting requirements - if you've been to Belgium first, do we go by Dutch requirements for entrants from Belgium, or since we originated from the UK will Dutch requirement from the UK apply - or both?

Edited by PJL1973
  • Like 2

The RCL and Celebrity PCR tests are free. You do have to use Eurofins but if there isn't one near you they will reimburse costs up to £120. If your test results from Eurofins dont return in time you are instructed to travel to the port and they will sort it there.

The multiple entry issue and which rules are the ones I've been asking P&O and Cunard about for nearly two months regarding the Caribbean seasons.  Neither have an answer. It's a case of pay your money and take your chances at present.

Feeling slightly concerned about the prospect of our Britannia cruise on 25th September being cancelled. Today we renewed our travel insurance as we were beginning to feel optimistic it would go ahead. We have paid the balance this week as well. Hoping for better news in the next few days. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PJL1973 said:

With cruises tending to have multiple country desitinations (unlike normal holidays), the problem will no doubt be magnified. For example a cruise going to Belgium & Holland from the UK could have interesting requirements - if you've been to Belgium first, do we go by Dutch requirements for entrants from Belgium, or since we originated from the UK will Dutch requirement from the UK apply - or both?

To be honest, that is a problem for the cruise company to sort out. We are going on our Med cruise in October, and if the regulations change, so be it. The itinerary may change,  and we will go with the flow. 

My feeling is that everything is going to be in a state of flux for another 12 months at least.  You therefore have the choice of booking, accepting that things may change, or waiting until things are more stable,  which may not be until 2023. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jennizor said:

Feeling slightly concerned about the prospect of our Britannia cruise on 25th September being cancelled. Today we renewed our travel insurance as we were beginning to feel optimistic it would go ahead. We have paid the balance this week as well. Hoping for better news in the next few days. 

As previously mentioned, they surely won't cancel and layup the ships as too costly. Better prospect is to convert them to seacations. I see them going down the Cunard route rather than Anthem route which is "Follow the Sun" - you may end up near Spain, Portugal et al after all just not getting off. I am sure there will be takers for this cruise if priced correctly though many would also cancel but would keep the ships in service and cash flowing for the cruise line.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, wowzz said:

To be honest, that is a problem for the cruise company to sort out. We are going on our Med cruise in October, and if the regulations change, so be it. The itinerary may change,  and we will go with the flow. 

My feeling is that everything is going to be in a state of flux for another 12 months at least.  You therefore have the choice of booking, accepting that things may change, or waiting until things are more stable,  which may not be until 2023. 

I would suggest that it's also a problem for the govt website to sort out as well  since nothing is mentioned in their 500,000 web pages of advice, about multiple foreign visits on one transport vehicle.

In fact after trying to skim read their advice I had to lie down in a darkened room for several hours to recover, and I still have a headache.

11 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I would suggest that it's also a problem for the govt website to sort out as well  since nothing is mentioned in their 500,000 web pages of advice, about multiple foreign visits on one transport vehicle.

In fact after trying to skim read their advice I had to lie down in a darkened room for several hours to recover, and I still have a headache.

Yes, there are all sorts of anomalies that the current rules do not cover.

For example,  there are a number of Americans on our forthcoming Princess cruise. They are flying into the UK, and immediately travelling to Southampton to board the ship. They have to order a Day 2 test kit, even though they are not staying in the UK, as they are not considered to be in transit.

One for the government "too difficult to bother with" pile! 

4 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Yes, there are all sorts of anomalies that the current rules do not cover.

For example,  there are a number of Americans on our forthcoming Princess cruise. They are flying into the UK, and immediately travelling to Southampton to board the ship. They have to order a Day 2 test kit, even though they are not staying in the UK, as they are not considered to be in transit.

One for the government "too difficult to bother with" pile! 

Just as aside from cruising, my nephews family came over for my sisters funeral 2 weeks ago just as the French rules were changing. They had made arrangements to come in time to quarantine including purchasing tests, then changed their date to arrive the day the rules were relaxed.  However my BIL had several phone calls from test and trace, asking to talk to his son, DIL, and grandson, assuming they had arrived on their original dates.

I suspect the first international crusies will actually be from the UK to one other country (maybe multiple ports but stil all in the same country). That way it won't be any different from other holidays. Otherwise I can't see how things are going to work out without it getting very complicated.

1 minute ago, PJL1973 said:

I suspect the first international crusies will actually be from the UK to one other country (maybe multiple ports but stil all in the same country). That way it won't be any different from other holidays. Otherwise I can't see how things are going to work out without it getting very complicated.

Since the first ones are due to commence towards the end of September P&O need to decide PDQ if chaos is to be avoided.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

They also seem to have their testing regime in place which helps with planning as you can look up your intended cruise and see what is required and when.  They also offer reduced cost est packages and it seems to be between £20 and £90 depending on itinerary.  As I have family already booked on Iona cruise I hope to join them but not sure how much longer I should wait.

What is it that you refer to that costs between £20 and £90? Thanks

8 hours ago, Valfan said:

What is it that you refer to that costs between £20 and £90? Thanks

8 hours ago, Valfan said:

The Covid tests required for entry in and out of the UK. Marella are using the same company as their Tui package holidays arm which are quite heavily discounted.  Their website 

https://www.tui.co.uk/destinations/info/cruise-entry-requirements

lists each cruise and indicates what "test package" the individual needs.  Looking at each cruises listed (not the Caribbean itineraries which are not on there for some reason) the most expensive package is currently £90.00.

These are quite heavily discounted - a Boots day 2 test alone, for instance, is £78.00.  There are lists available from MSE website which are helpful in showing "cheap" tests for other providers.

My concern with P&O and Cunard has been (and remains) their failure to date to advise how any required tests will be handled by them.  For instance return to the UK requires the locator form with Covid test bookings and results but it has to be uploaded.  From my previous experience on Britannia the wifi will be insufficient for guests to do this themselves.  I have also repeatedly asked if they are making arrangements with specific companies in the way Marella, Celebrity and RCL have done but to date no reply.

My worry is we are all locked into these cruises, particularly the Caribbean itineraries, with no idea how how P&O are going to help us through the minefield.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

My worry is we are all locked into these cruises, particularly the Caribbean itineraries, with no idea how how P&O are going to help us through the minefield.

My concerns exactly !

4 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

The Covid tests required for entry in and out of the UK. Marella are using the same company as their Tui package holidays arm which are quite heavily discounted.  Their website 

https://www.tui.co.uk/destinations/info/cruise-entry-requirements

lists each cruise and indicates what "test package" the individual needs.  Looking at each cruises listed (not the Caribbean itineraries which are not on there for some reason) the most expensive package is currently £90.00.

These are quite heavily discounted - a Boots day 2 test alone, for instance, is £78.00.  There are lists available from MSE website which are helpful in showing "cheap" tests for other providers.

My concern with P&O and Cunard has been (and remains) their failure to date to advise how any required tests will be handled by them.  For instance return to the UK requires the locator form with Covid test bookings and results but it has to be uploaded.  From my previous experience on Britannia the wifi will be insufficient for guests to do this themselves.  I have also repeatedly asked if they are making arrangements with specific companies in the way Marella, Celebrity and RCL have done but to date no reply.

Whilst the uncertainty might be annoying, they're certainly not going to just abandon you at the end of the cruise and feed you to border force for failing to complete a passenger locator form. I totally accept that it would be helpful if they could explain what they're going to do though. 

I'm due to go to Spain in October (not on a cruise) and I won't be making any arrangements for testing more than 2 weeks in advance as the rules could be totally different by then. I think that's the difficulty of with current situation. Everyone wants to know exactly how things will be on X date but no one knows. 

• Like 1

I asked Cunard and P&O the question about international protocols/testing a while ago. The Executive Office has just replied:

Further to your recent e-mail to our Executive Team and my colleagues acknowledgement, I have been asked to review your correspondence and to respond to you. Please accept my sincere apologies for the delay in responding.

Having reviewed the concerns and queries you have, I understand your need for information as to how the international voyages will run and we are working closely with the local government and port officials, of each destination, to ensure the safety and well being of our guests and crew on board our ships.

We are still finalising our international travel protocols at this current time, including how things will be on board, PCR testing etc, however to ensure that our guests are kept in the loop around any changes or procedures, we have a health protocols page https://www.cunard.com/en-gb/the-cunard-experience/sailing-with-confidence where all important information is kept up to date. Please keep checking this page for answers to your queries. We will also be circulating pre cruise communications via email shortly.

I am sorry it is not possible for us to specifically answer your queries at this stage and on behalf of us all we would like to thank you for your continued patience.

UNQUOTE

So no further forward I'm afraid.  I appreciate they will most likely not abandon us, however what happens if a country goes red while we're on board?  I certainly cant afford £2,200 in a Government isolation hotel, particularly if I'm required to pay several hundred pounds for tests as well!