Do they ever go back to original port scheduled (changed from Antigua to St. Martin)

Sailing - Oct 2d Symphony

We booked this cruise 18 months ago.  Chose it specifically because all of us wanted to go to Antigua. Yesterday, days after final payment, Antigua was changed to St. Martin (been there way too many times).  Of course, we (large family reunion), have airline and pre-cruise hotels booked, not to mention time off from work.   I figured they probably changed from Antiqua because of pandemic issues.  Yes, I know the cruise line has the right to change ports.

I realize the answer is "probably not", but do you think it may be possible that St. Martin is changed back to Antigua?

ALSO, was totally amazed at how many "available cabins" popped up for this sailing yesterday - appears that the "reduced capacity" has been upped because right before final payment only a few interior cabins were available.  Now, everything is available.

The port change was probably dictated by the current policies in the port. Antigua is reopening to cruise ships cautiously. So far only to smaller ships, with fully vaccinated passengers. Those who disembark must be on pre-organized tours. It may be some time before a ship the size of the Symphony will return.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pasodancer said:

ALSO, was totally amazed at how many "available cabins" popped up for this sailing yesterday - appears that the "reduced capacity" has been upped because right before final payment only a few interior cabins were available.  Now, everything is available.

Cabins almost always "pop up" after final payment due to cancellations and group holds being released.

• Like 1

We our on the Symphony Oct 2 and was notified of the change. They said the following was the reason.  

the Port of Antigua has advised they are not equipped with gangways to accommodate our ship and unfortunately, we’ll no longer be able to visit Antigua.

4 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

We our on the Symphony Oct 2 and was notified of the change. They said the following was the reason.  

the Port of Antigua has advised they are not equipped with gangways to accommodate our ship and unfortunately, we’ll no longer be able to visit Antigua.

WOW - did not know that.    Such a bummer.

Hopefully they will open up excursions for St Marten soon.

2 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

I know that symphony is bigger than Anthem but we have been there on Anthem with no gangway issues

5 hours ago, pasodancer said:

We booked this cruise 18 months ago.  Chose it specifically because all of us wanted to go to Antigua. Yesterday, days after final payment, Antigua was changed to St. Martin (been there way too many times).  Of course, we (large family reunion), have airline and pre-cruise hotels booked, not to mention time off from work.   I figured they probably changed from Antiqua because of pandemic issues.  Yes, I know the cruise line has the right to change ports.

I realize the answer is "probably not", but do you think it may be possible that St. Martin is changed back to Antigua?

It is very common for cabins to open up after the final payment date and i suspect with more people worried about cruising on Royal for various reasons they will continue to see more cancellations, which will make it easier to have "reduced capacity".  

You will probably receive the opportunity to do Royal Up to bid on other cabin types in August.

That is truly a shame that Antigua was removed as we love Antigua but we also love St marteen, especially the french side.    I'm sure you will have a beautiful day there.

17 hours ago, pasodancer said:

The short answer is yes.  We were set to sail on the NCL Dawn after hurricane Irma and Maria punished the Caribbean in 2017.  Our ports were changed many times.  We had St. Marteen removed and replaced with St. Croix, but St. Marteen replaced St. Croix about a week before we set sail.

That said, what the other posters said here about not being able to accommodate the Symphony in Antigua would likely mean it would not be switched back.  Strange RCCL did not know that when they originally scheduled the Symphony to port there originally.

• Like 1

Regardless of where we port - will be very thankful we can all be together once again.  Will be interesting to see as we get closer to sail date which ports we will be visiting.  We expect the unexpected as the cruise lines try to get reestablished.  

• Like 1