Dublin Hotel?

I am posting for my cousin who will be flying into Dublin May 17, 2022, staying a few days then renting a car, 8 days later return car to fly to LHR for a cruise.

Any recommendation for a hotel, nothing fancy will be out all day?

Should they rent a car at airport and use in Dublin or should they rent the car after visiting Dublin?

Any places / cities/ towns to visit in Ireland?

On 7/24/2021 at 4:15 PM, phabric said:

I am posting for my cousin who will be flying into Dublin May 17, 2022, staying a few days then renting a car, 8 days later return car to fly to LHR for a cruise.

Should they rent a car at airport and use in Dublin or should they rent the car after visiting Dublin?

I would definitely recommend they wait until after visiting Dublin to rent the car.   Dublin traffic is bad and parking is expensive and hard to find.  They will also be driving on the wrong side of the road in a mixture of one way, single lane and dual lane roads.  Too much for the first couple of days!

Maybe even take the train from Dublin to Cork or Galway for an overnight or two and then pick up a car?

Does your cousin have any particular interests or any family connection to Ireland?  

My initial thoughts are Dublin, Galway (Connemara), Clare, Killarney, Cork and fly from Cork to LHR.

A bit early to recommend hotels.  We need to see how they react to reopening.  Ireland has been almost completely shut down since December, so any recommendation would be premature.  

On 7/24/2021 at 11:15 AM, phabric said:

For my next trip to Ireland, which has now been postponed 3 times due to Covid, my plan is to fly into Dublin and then ride the AirLink Express bus into central Dublin for my 2 nights of Dublin sightseeing.  I will likely stay at the Holiday Inn Express or Academy Plaza Hotel in Dublin.  Both of these are very close to an Airlink Express bus stop.  Then I will take the AirLink Express bus back to the airport to pick up a rental car for the remaining 9 days of my itinerary around Ireland.  I'll return the car to the airport and then fly over to the UK for the rest of my trip.  A similar plan might work for your cousin.