MSC requiring insurance for Americans cruising the Mediterranean.

Raymanator

Today I made final payment for two Yacht Club cabins on a 9 day Mediterranean cruise on the Virtuosa in September. 

I was was told that vaccinated or not we had to buy COVID related insurance.

The price for each person in the double cabin was $208.

the price for the person in the single cabin was $311.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Was also told that for now they starting at 40% capacity and that may increase as time goes by.

5 hours ago, Raymanator said:

Today I made final payment for two Yacht Club cabins on a 9 day Mediterranean cruise on the Virtuosa in September. 

I was was told that vaccinated or not we had to buy COVID related insurance.

The price for each person in the double cabin was $208 .The price for the person in the single cabin was $311.

Anyone else experiencing this?

There is a minimum mandatory MSC Covid specific Reassurance for $68 per person, if you already have any private travel insurance with Covid cover clearly mentioned.

You were quoted the price of the full MSC Travel Protection plan.

There is no logic for the difference in price between single and double occupancy.

You can only take MSC excursions and cannot leave the group at any time till they return to the ship.

Without a MSC excursion you cannot leave the ship at all

Edited by drsel

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/25/2021 at 6:52 AM, DCGuy64 said:

Yes, we’re sailing the MSC Splendida next month and had to purchase insurance through MSC, $175 per person. 

EU is likely to reintroduce an entry ban on US again. 3 different reliable sources--

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/eu-review-safe-travel-list-could-reconsider-us-status-source-2021-08-06/

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-08-06/eu-expected-to-discuss-reimposing-travel-restrictions-on-u-s

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/eu-most-likely-to-reintroduce-entry-ban-on-us-next-week-sources-claim/

Edited by drsel

That’s just the same rules as they applied to all UK guests vaccinated or not on our round UK cruise.  Not a big deal as our annual travel cover already incorporated the level of cover needed. 

I called this morning to get the VC 5+15 discount applied to my cruise (and to change to a cabin that will have a sofa 😁), and heard an entirely new recording  since the last call about two weeks ago. Some of us (USA) who booked on Seashore TA end of Oct/beginning of Nov were specifically told that if vaccinated, no insurance was required--period! The cruise is obviously out of Europe, but not a European cruise. I get that things are changing as need be. In any case, they are trying to now add the travel insurance (which is less than the 5+15 refund) to my cruise which was paid off over 3 wks ago. I have/had no problem buying what is needed. Like others, we didn't want to buy what we didn't need. This is only my third booking with MSC. For the two previous, getting the VC extra promo discount applied was never a problem. One cruise had 2 reductions. This time, the request is going to "corporate," not because the agent wouldn't do it, but because he couldn't. I suspect that it will all work out. After a flight change notification, I discovered our flights to BCN have dropped 30%! Oh, well.

I would definitely put a ban/tighter restrictions on US travelers to Europe right now. However, I'm not concerned about it--yet. This trip may end up being a bunch of vouchers/credits for Delta and MSC. 😔

Edited by Rhea98

5 minutes ago, Rhea98 said:

Some of us (USA) who booked on Seashore TA end of Oct/beginning of Nov were specifically told that if vaccinated, no insurance was required--period!

Similar to my experience.  Booked in early July through a travel agent and made final payment shortly thereafter.  When I was on MSC website trying to do web check-in a few days later, noticed the insurance mandate (whether vaccinated or not).  I called MSC Cust Serv and got same answer that insurance was required.  I called travel agent who knew nothing about it and had not been informed by MSC.  The travel agent inquired further and got back to me that MSC had changed their requirements and that I did need to purchase the insurance.  No worries I thought and had the travel agent add the MSC insurance.

The credit card showed "pending" charge for the insurance for 5 days and then disappeared (charge never went through).  I called credit card company to be sure they did not reject the charge - they said no, it was put into "inactive" because the vendor never responded to their requests.  I called back the travel agent to have them inquire if MSC was not honoring the insurance since it was after final payment - they said, no your booking still has the required insurance.

Still not been charged to date on the credit card.  We will see what happens ...

p.s. Since the MSC website said that the covid insurance is provided free of charge for US sailings, I inquired on "existingreservations" e-mail if that was also the case for the TA since I am US based traveler.  Never got a response ... not sure if the removal of the charge was related to my inquiry or not ...

4 hours ago, KeepSailing said:

p.s. Since the MSC website said that the covid insurance is provided free of charge for US sailings, I inquired on "existingreservations" e-mail if that was also the case for the TA since I am US based traveler.  Never got a response ... not sure if the removal of the charge was related to my inquiry or not ...

I contacted that service one month ago. Aside from a reply with a service request number (now I have 2 with them), I've not received a response. 

I see that the MSC US website now has a new paragraph under their Covid Protection Plan coverage overview (under Health and Safety tab), clarifying that departures leaving from non-US ports requires the insurance and is not free (but still free, if departing from US port). 

Back when I made my inquiry to MSC, there was no such paragraph about non-US ports (mid July).  It only said it was free to US-based cruisers who were fully vaccinated. 

I guess they changed the document after my inquiry to clarify non-US ports.

The only reason I might never cruise with MSC again is that I got to the port in Barcelona on July 24 and was told, for the first time ever, to present proof that I had COVID insurance and would not be permitted to board the ship without COVID insurance.   We have health insurance, but did not purchase any separate COVID insurance.    This requirement was not communicated to me prior to my showing up to get on the ship.  I offered to pay on the spot but was told that wasn't possible.   A supervisor needed to sort things out.  We were permitted to cruise.   Other than a brief apology, nothing more.   It might have been nice to find strawberries in the cabin or a card.   Not that I deserve compensation, but I was surprised that I wasn't given a voucher for a massage or a meal in a specialty restaurant.   Being told you can't board is jarring and I was rather unhappy the rest of the day.

My personal experience is that MSC does a very poor job of communicating with passengers.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, papadave said:

The only reason I might never cruise with MSC again is that I got to the port in Barcelona on July 24 and was told, for the first time ever, to present proof that I had COVID insurance and would not be permitted to board the ship without COVID insurance.   We have health insurance, but did not purchase any separate COVID insurance.    This requirement was not communicated to me prior to my showing up to get on the ship.  I offered to pay on the spot but was told that wasn't possible.   A supervisor needed to sort things out.  We were permitted to cruise.   Other than a brief apology, nothing more.   It might have been nice to find strawberries in the cabin or a card.   Not that I deserve compensation, but I was surprised that I wasn't given a voucher for a massage or a meal in a specialty restaurant.   Being told you can't board is jarring and I was rather unhappy the rest of the day.

My personal experience is that MSC does a very poor job of communicating with passengers.  

Unbelievable.  Not sure if it's worse to not communicate these things to the passengers, or for the employees to have no idea what's going on.

Edited by Stockjock

1 hour ago, papadave said:

MSC has had to make a lot of changes and I agree they could do a better job getting out word of these requirements.  On the US website the change to requiring US passengers on EU sailings to have COVID-19 insurance was made somewhere around July 15th, but there were hints before that as all new bookings were being notified of the requirement.

I suspect you were closely watching the regulations for travel to Spain and Italy since they were also changing almost daily.  The MSC Terms & Conditions you were forced to acknowledge in order to get your boarding documents had a very large section advising passengers to keep updated with the MSC website's Health and Safety protocols which were also frequently changing. 

For any US passenger traveling on these very first available EU sailings I have to think perhaps you should have been more proactive in ensuring you met the current protocols.  Personally I think you got very lucky when MSC  allowed you to board anyway.  There has been one other report that US passengers were allowed on the ship without the now required insurance but I suspect we will soon be hearing reports of people being denied boarding due to lack of insurance.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, drsel said:

I would almost say this is a guarantee.  We are way above the limit they set on infections per 100000 to be allowed.  

5 hours ago, Até said:

...  The MSC Terms & Conditions you were forced to acknowledge in order to get your boarding documents had a very large section advising passengers to keep updated with the MSC website's Health and Safety protocols which were also frequently changing. ...

The prerecorded message at MSC US now attempts to communicate the fluid nature of the protocols and that customers should keep checking. It further, advises that the week before sailing, one should check with the "current" protocols. It's an attempt to improve. They also appear to have a dedicated line (once you get to the choice section of the call) to sign up for insurance. My attempt to get insurance has been escalated since my cruise required full payment before July 15. I suspect the request will go through. If it does not, MSC will cancel my cruise (per the phone agent). It is what it is. I'd rather know BEFORE we get to the terminal in Barcelona (and before we fly out). Kudos to papadave and sorry you had to experience that.

7 hours ago, Até said:

MSC has had to make a lot of changes and I agree they could do a better job getting out word of these requirements.  On the US website the change to requiring US passengers on EU sailings to have COVID-19 insurance was made somewhere around July 15th, but there were hints before that as all new bookings were being notified of the requirement.

I suspect you were closely watching the regulations for travel to Spain and Italy since they were also changing almost daily.  The MSC Terms & Conditions you were forced to acknowledge in order to get your boarding documents had a very large section advising passengers to keep updated with the MSC website's Health and Safety protocols which were also frequently changing. 

For any US passenger traveling on these very first available EU sailings I have to think perhaps you should have been more proactive in ensuring you met the current protocols.  Personally I think you got very lucky when MSC  allowed you to board anyway.  There has been one other report that US passengers were allowed on the ship without the now required insurance but I suspect we will soon be hearing reports of people being denied boarding due to lack of insurance.

I never saw anything.   My wife never saw anything.   If my travel agent was informed, the information was not passed along to me.   MSC issued cruise documents for boarding to me when I did on line check in.   During on line check in I was not asked about separate COVID insurance.   This was not on me.   

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cscurlock said:

I would almost say this is a guarantee.  We are way above the limit they set on infections per 100000 to be allowed.  

Great, I guess our MSC cruise from Italy is about to be cancelled, then. Only 19 days to go. Shoot.

☹️

I see absolutely nothing about this on my booking.  Where does it state I am required to have MSC Covid insurance? And if this is true, how would I obtain it?

Am about to bag all my booked cruises with MSC.  So frustrating how information is not universal or clearly spelled out kn the website.

1 hour ago, Lisichka said:

I see absolutely nothing about this on my booking.  Where does it state I am required to have MSC Covid insurance? And if this is true, how would I obtain it?

Am about to bag all my booked cruises with MSC.  So frustrating how information is not universal or clearly spelled out kn the website.

When is your sailing?

We are scheduled for August 26th and just got our cruise tickets yesterday. It was spelled out there in great detail, but also on the MSC USA website. Which website did you use?

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/health-and-safety-measures/europe-cruises

The above site is very explicit about the insurance requirement. Here's a portion:

TRAVEL INSURANCE REQUIRED: You are required to purchase Travel Protection Plan with coverage for COVID-19. This must be purchased prior to making final payment on your booking. You will be denied boarding if insurance is not purchased.
If you purchase insurance other than the one offered by MSC Cruises, you are required to purchase MSC Cruises COVID-19 Protection**. COVID-19 Protection must be purchased prior to making final payment on your booking.

39 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

When is your sailing?

We are scheduled for August 26th and just got our cruise tickets yesterday. It was spelled out there in great detail, but also on the MSC USA website. Which website did you use?

The above site is very explicit about the insurance requirement. Here's a portion:

TRAVEL INSURANCE REQUIRED: You are required to purchase Travel Protection Plan with coverage for COVID-19. This must be purchased prior to making final payment on your booking. You will be denied boarding if insurance is not purchased.

If you purchase insurance other than the one offered by MSC Cruises, you are required to purchase MSC Cruises COVID-19 Protection**. COVID-19 Protection must be purchased prior to making final payment on your booking.

I expect that for those who have already made final payment 90 days prior to sailing, they will allow them to pay for the MSC full Travel Protection plan.

If Spain and Italy allow FULLY VACCINATED passengers from the high risk areas to enter,  then surely MSC will allow boarding, provided you have bought the MSC full travel protection plan

On 8/9/2021 at 8:31 AM, DCGuy64 said:

When is your sailing?

When I made my final payment on 25 June for the 29 September MSC Virtuosa Mediterranean sailing I was not notified of any requirement to purchase MSC COVID-19 insurance.  Also, when I attempt to complete the online check-in I am unable to do so due to unspecified "missing data."  Today I contacted my TA regarding both the MSC COVID-19 insurance and web check-in issues.  She in turn phoned MSC and replied back to me with the following:

"Web check-in will become available within 2 weeks of sailing. (typically 90 days currently

they have advised 2 weeks to give everyone time to have what they need) 

MSC advised you are NOT required to purchase THEIR insurance if you are fully vaccinated

within 2 weeks of sail."

I am fully vaccinated and already purchased travel insurance with COVID-19 coverage.  And obviously I can't purchase MSC COVID-19 insurance prior to final payment since it has already been made but I could try to buy it now -- just to be on the safe side in case the information given out to my TA by MSC is wrong.  As others have opined, MSC is putting out conflicting information.  Any thoughts?

Has anyone with a September or later MSC Mediterranean sailing been able to complete online check-in?  If so, if you already had travel insurance with COVID-19 coverage did you have to buy some type of MSC COVID-19 insurance?

I really would like to do this cruise but MSC is not instilling a lot of confidence in me.

3 minutes ago, bratts2go said:

Has anyone with a September or later MSC Mediterranean sailing been able to complete online check-in?

I had booked in early July and made final payment in mid-July for Transatlantic trip leaving Genoa on 10/31.  At time I did not have the Covid insurance as final payment was prior to the change in MSC requirements.  I was also able to do web check in with all passenger info and upload the security photos before having any insurance.

I subsequently learned of the new mandate to have Covid cover or will be denied boarding, so was able to obtain the "last minute" coverage thru MSC even though after final payment and had previously declined it.

As I understand it, the remaining documents (health questionnaire and proof of vax) are provided later after boarding documents are received.

regards,

15 minutes ago, bratts2go said:

if you already had travel insurance with COVID-19 coverage did you have to buy some type of MSC COVID-19 insurance?

Other posters in various forums have also stated that even if they had other commercial travel insurance, they were required to either purchase the MSC full travel coverage or the "covid only" version or they would be denied boarding as well (some only learning about this at the pier).  The requirement is whether or not vaxed.

I would double check with your agent.