Okay, who else gave in?

Luckysll

3 hours ago, CarelessAndConfused said:

Is the Royal the only barometer by which we should measure?  And if it isn't so popular, why are they deciding to sail now of all times just after a pandemic and all?

Royal's marketing decision to finally go back to the west coast was made long before the pandemic started.  The west coast just has too much going against it because of the scarcity of port stops.  Cabo, Maz, PV, Ensenada are the most popular and a couple of niche stops that rarely have ships visit.  The Panorama is positioned there and the NCL Bliss & Encore do a handful of sailings.

In general, you have 3 day sailings to Ensenada, make it 5 days adding Cabo or make it 7 to Cabo, PV and Maz.  The Imagination and Inspiration had their west coast retirement and now they are being recycled in India or Turkey.  It serves it's limited number of ports with those that like to cruise that live on the west coast and don't want to fly to cruise in the Caribbean or Europe.

Anything more than 7 days is either going to be a repositioning cruise or a 15 day RT to Hawaii.  You obviously are a west coaster and you should should be proud of your 4 Mexican Riviera ports, but you certainly can't compare them to any other region of the world....ah wait, you do beat the 3 Bahamian ports of Nassau, Freeport, and Bimini.

Hubby and I booked the Panorama for an Anniversary cruise Dec 4th this year. Guaranteed Balcony Cabin,  for $100pp.  With taxes, port fees and Gratuity.. total $745 for the 2 of us, plus 200$ OBC..  thought that was pretty good.

Also doing a T/A on Celebration  14 day, Nov, 6th 2022 basically same deal.. 

They still have awesome deals, looking for March 2022... *crosses fingers*

Love the discussion of Cali v. Caribbean market.  It reminds me a little of downhill skiing.  Only folks in New England think their skiing is on par with the Rockies.  I've reminded them that nobody gets on a plane in Chicago and flies east for that.

1 hour ago, Elaine5715 said:

I think right now, any vacation plans out of California are a risk. It is the state most likely to go into another lockdown whereas not so in Texas, Louisiana or Florida so why chance the hassle?  

CA resident and San Diego native. Nope, there will be no more lockdowns. The state governor is facing a recall and he will not dare do that again. He's said as much. Right now there are throwing thousands of dollars at getting people vaxd. Litterally throwing money at them. I heard yesterday that shop owners could give out coupons for getting vax'd. They get $200 and the vax'd person gets $50.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Luckysll said:

I wasn’t really interested in cruising on the new, bigger ships, but John’s videos did what they were supposed to do and made me want to experience it.  Since I already have cruises booked for 2022 and 2023, I was looking at early 2024. Unfortunately, I wasn’t thrilled with Mardi Gras itineraries (just a personal thing), so I booked Celebration for a January b2b.  Sister ship, but I’m looking forward to seeing all it has to offer.  And from the looks of her, I’ll need those two weeks just to find everything, lol.

If i didn't already have 6 booked, but what's one more right? 

We were already booked on the Mardi Gras for October 2022 prior to Heald posting his videos.  However, the ship looks even nicer in his videos than it did in any of the simulated videos available before now.  

Our sailing has an itinerary that we have done a few times, but one of my husband's BFF's and his (soon-to-be) wife are going to be sailing with us for their first cruise.  Both of the guys are Puerto Rican, so it was a requirement that we had to choose a sailing that went to PR.  I'm actually happy that the other ports are ones we have been too, I'm not sure I am going to want to get off the ship! 

I don't know if the Panorama would be considered a "big" ship. Was on it and it felt the opposite...cramped.

We've never had that issue with other ships, Carnival or otherwise.

I did see Ben and David's video on the Anthem of the Seas and just the buffet alone looks amazing.

5 hours ago, pc_load_letter said:

I did see Ben and David's video on the Anthem of the Seas and just the buffet alone looks amazing.

Carnival blows away Royal with the plethora of options at lunch.  A buffet is only good for an omelet station at breakfast.  But, if a buffet is a deciding factor for you, go for it.  That's why there is vanilla and chocolate.  Choices.  But since Royal doesn't have as many non buffet choices as Carnival for lunch, maybe the buffet should be important.

22 hours ago, mondello said:

The Havana area is much nicer on the Vista class ships. The Havana pool on Mardi Gras is a smaller afterthought over on the side. The exclusive new Loft 19 and Excel Suites were more the game changer for Mardi Gras and Celebration.

Agreed, just watched a video walkthrough of the area - I’ll stick with the balcony I booked. 

1 hour ago, SNJCruisers said:

Carnival blows away Royal with the plethora of options at lunch.  A buffet is only good for an omelet station at breakfast.  But, if a buffet is a deciding factor for you, go for it.  That's why there is vanilla and chocolate.  Choices.  But since Royal doesn't have as many non buffet choices as Carnival for lunch, maybe the buffet should be important.

With the exception of a couple options on the Pano, Carnivals food is a joke. The Pano buffet was barely anything to write home about. Okay, what...a burger place, some bad mexican food. Same MDR menu for ages.

I wasn't hard to see Royals options on Anthem blows away anything Carnival offers. Oh wait, you can get a tired lobster roll for $20+ as well on Carnival.

I am sure Emril's tired cajun cuisine and Shaqs chicken will both be hits with the fat masses.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, pc_load_letter said:

With the exception of a couple options on the Pano, Carnivals food is a joke. The Pano buffet was barely anything to write home about. Okay, what...a burger place, some bad mexican food. Same MDR menu for ages.

I wasn't hard to see Royals options on Anthem blows away anything Carnival offers. Oh wait, you can get a tired lobster roll for $20+ as well on Carnival.

I am sure Emril's tired cajun cuisine and Shaqs chicken will both be hits with the fat masses.

I don't do buffets except for a made to order omelette.  I compared Royal's pathetic lunch time options to Carnival.  Blue Iguana Cafe, Guy's burgers, made to order stir fry at Jiji's, made to order pasta at Cucina del Capitano are just a few of the options for lunch available on the Vista Class ships.  And the Lobster Roll at the Seafood Shack is 12.00, not 20.00.  If you're such a Loyal Royal, stick to their boards.  Oh and by the way, enjoy the Dynamic Pricing policy on Royal.  On Carnival, excursions and drink packages are the same price across the fleet.  On Royal, you must get a complimentary jar of vaseline to go along with your purchases since the price fluctuates depending upon which ship you cruise on and what time of year you cruise.

By the way, since you know everything, how many cruises have you been on, how many different cruise lines and for how long?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

Waiting to see when the third Excel ship comes out and when it's TA will be.  Thinking early 2024.

That would be guess as well.  I see the celebration is doing a southern Caribbean itinerary so planning that one.  Probably going to book that one today.

8 hours ago, pc_load_letter said:

I 100% disagree.  Although I don't do buffets, Carnival is way better when it comes to food than Royal in my opinion and I love Royal.  I just don't like the lack of included food choices on Royal since I don't do buffet.  Carnival has a ton of food options and I enjoy them.  My family isn't fat.  I am a fitness junkie and so is the wife so the "fat masses" won't work here.

• Like 1

I might be the oddball, but the mega ships are very "meh" to me.  I cruised on the Vista in 2017 and felt like I was in a strip mall at Christmas, not a cruise ship.  Everything felt sterile and although we had fun, it was the first time I felt a touch claustrophobic with the way it was designed and how crowded it was. A lot of people hate on the older ships and decor but personally I prefer that layout with the open atrium (and less people). 

Will that stop me from ever cruising the newer, bigger ships?  No.  But if an older ship offers the same itinerary and costs less, then I will most likely choose that option.  The new ships do look beautiful though so I can't argue there.