Greek islands cruise: new updates from Seabourn?

Heather White

3 hours ago, marazul said:

On board the Ovation now. Some 250 guests only.

Today we had the pleasant surprise of docking in Agios Nikolaos instead of tendering. 

All is good.

If you like Margaritas I give you a strong suggestion to go up to the Observation Bar  and ask Alexjandro to make you a "reposado margarita."  I make a decent margarita (that comes from living in Mexico part of the year) but his are among the best I have ever had...anywhere!   That drink became a nightly ritual (along with caviar) before going to dinner :).

Hank

Hi - it’s a couple of years now but when we were last on board those wearing suits or tux  on formal nights (in the Med) were in the minority. Would welcome thoughts from those who’ve been on Ovation this year. Sports jacket/coat  doesn’t seem right but don’t want to be the only only one looking like a waiter!

David

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

If you like Margaritas I give you a strong suggestion to go up to the Observation Bar  and ask Alexjandro to make you a "reposado margarita."  I make a decent margarita (that comes from living in Mexico part of the year) but his are among the best I have ever had...anywhere!   That drink became a nightly ritual (along with caviar) before going to dinner :).

Hank

Caviar every evening. Champagne most times.

Old Cubans tonight.

Margaritas tomorrow. Thanks for the hint.

It's a tough life... 😁

17 minutes ago, marazul said:

Caviar every evening. Champagne most times.

Old Cubans tonight.

Margaritas tomorrow. Thanks for the hint.

It's a tough life... 😁

Ok, so we all do have our own drink preferences.  After reading about Old Cuban's here on CC I did look forward to giving that drink a try at the TK Bar.  So I went to that bar early in the cruise where the bar tender was only working that bar for the 2nd time and she had never made an Old Cuban.  But she knew about the drink and the reputation of that bar to produce the concoction.  So she made the drink and I thought it was just a variation (and not a great variation) of a Mojito.  Later in the cruise I had the same drink made by a very experienced bar tender and it was exactly the same (so lots of credit goes to that first bar tender who go it right).  When I had the drink the 2nd time I was sitting next to a Cuban American (from Miami) who was traveling with his wonderful family (we got to know them all).  He and his family all had the same reaction as me which was the Old Cuban is just OK, but a poor substitute for a Mojito.

So my challenge to fellow SB cruisers is that if you have never tried an Old Cuban you should give it a try on your next SB cruise :).  Then post your opinion :).

Hank

3 hours ago, guern11 said:

Hi - it’s a couple of years now but when we were last on board those wearing suits or tux  on formal nights (in the Med) were in the minority. Would welcome thoughts from those who’ve been on Ovation this year.

I don't know about suits, but friends who have recently disembarked told me that those in a tux were definitely in the minority.

6 hours ago, guern11 said:

Hi - it’s a couple of years now but when we were last on board those wearing suits or tux  on formal nights (in the Med) were in the minority. Would welcome thoughts from those who’ve been on Ovation this year. Sports jacket/coat  doesn’t seem right but don’t want to be the only only one looking like a waiter!

David

I did take a tux and wore it the first week (last month).  I think tuxes were certainly in the minority with suits winning the dress contest and sport coats tied with tuxes for 2 nd place.  The 2nd week they had a better menu in the Colonade so we decided to dine in that venue.  I did not even both to wear a jacket (just dress slacks and a dress shirt) but was in the minority as most wore a jacket.  By the time we went to the show (I think that was a single show at 9:30) many of the men had shed their jackets.

Hank

Wife and I were on Ovation for August 7 cruise. I love formal nights and the chance to wear DJ. Maybe in the minority, but would guess at 40% wearing  formal evening attire. Most without formal wear were dressed up. 
Had it from senior staff they want to keep formal night going.

Hello regarding coctails quality my experience has been different. In July I had the same coctail everynight from Portuguese bartender at the Observation Bar and when I tried it in another venue it tasted like other drink. BTW I don't remember the name of the bartender making us evening coctails but he was one of the best I have ever met. 

On 8/31/2021 at 10:05 AM, mcondition said:

Hello regarding coctails quality my experience has been different. In July I had the same coctail everynight from Portuguese bartender at the Observation Bar and when I tried it in another venue it tasted like other drink. BTW I don't remember the name of the bartender making us evening coctails but he was one of the best I have ever met. 

The Portuguese bartender in Obs during July was Antonio.  

• Thanks 1

On 8/29/2021 at 10:17 AM, Hlitner said:

Ok, so we all do have our own drink preferences.  After reading about Old Cuban's here on CC I did look forward to giving that drink a try at the TK Bar.  So I went to that bar early in the cruise where the bar tender was only working that bar for the 2nd time and she had never made an Old Cuban.  But she knew about the drink and the reputation of that bar to produce the concoction.  So she made the drink and I thought it was just a variation (and not a great variation) of a Mojito.  Later in the cruise I had the same drink made by a very experienced bar tender and it was exactly the same (so lots of credit goes to that first bar tender who go it right).  When I had the drink the 2nd time I was sitting next to a Cuban American (from Miami) who was traveling with his wonderful family (we got to know them all).  He and his family all had the same reaction as me which was the Old Cuban is just OK, but a poor substitute for a Mojito.

So my challenge to fellow SB cruisers is that if you have never tried an Old Cuban you should give it a try on your next SB cruise :).  Then post your opinion :).

Hank

OK. Back to reality.  

The Old Cuban was ok. The regular mojito at the TK Bar was very good, better than the Old Cuban.  But I prefer having the mojitos out by the pool, not in a piano bar.  Something about the setting...

Alejandro's reposado margarita was awesome. 

The cruise was wonderful.  Back to normal.  If I am looking for faults, the only thing that I can think of is that one night our dishes at the TK drill did not arrive at the same time.  😱😉

About 25% of guys wore tuxes on formal night.  

And I wish we had stayed one more week...

9 minutes ago, marazul said:

OK. Back to reality.  

The Old Cuban was ok. The regular mojito at the TK Bar was very good, better than the Old Cuban.  But I prefer having the mojitos out by the pool, not in a piano bar.  Something about the setting...

Alejandro's reposado margarita was awesome. 

The cruise was wonderful.  Back to normal.  If I am looking for faults, the only thing that I can think of is that one night our dishes at the TK drill did not arrive at the same time.  😱😉

About 25% of guys wore tuxes on formal night.  

And I wish we had stayed one more week...

Funny thing is that towards the end of our two weeks I said to DW, "we should have booked another week!"   It was impossible for us to change our plans since we had non-refundable obligations related to our island hopping after the cruise.  Guess great minds think alike :).   There were two ladies on the ship who had been onboard from the first cruise and were spending 2 months on the cruise.  We were very jealous :).  

Hank