Taxi, Uber, or Lyft in Seattle?

We plan on needing transportation:

• Airport to downtown hotel
  • Within the city between tourist sites (Where public transportation won't work out)
  • Downtown hotel to cruise port

What is the best deal/most common/most efficient way to jet around Seattle?  Taxis or a ride share?  We are 2 adults, 2 kids with four carry-on size suitcases.

Edited by CruiseMelissa

right now Uber and Lyft has a driver shortage and Seattle authorized the rates to increase by at least 50% so for the first time a cab may be cheaper than Uber but you need to compare.  Seatac airport has flatrateforhire.com

as the official airport taxi, so they have a taxi 'dispatcher' so if you want a van he can get you one.  Most cabs and ubers are prius which sometimes is difficult for 4 with luggage.  Some ubers don't want a passenger to sit up front so keep that in mind.  When at the airport there are metered cabs as well as flat rate for beware and ask.  Fare to downtown is about $44 and Uber has been about $50 but check.  What I do is put in the destination late at night to see what the 'real' fare is then you know if your paying a surge amt once you get to Seattle.

Depending on your amount of luggage and mobility, the light rail is a great option from the airport to downtown. You have a short walk from the terminal to light rail, and then it'll take you downtown in about 40 minutes (compared to 25-40+ minutes driving). However, be advised where it drops you off compared to your hotel be prepared for some sharp hills, so this might not be an option for all. 

• Like 1

I read that taxis are available right off the ship at debarkation for Pier 91, but I would have to shuttle or walk with luggage to get to rideshare pick-up.  Is this also true for embarkation?  I had planned to Uber to the cruise terminal, but if I have to walk a distance with my luggage I'd rather taxi.  TIA

Edited by Tonya1965

32 minutes ago, Tonya1965 said:

I read that taxis are available right off the ship at debarkation for Pier 91, but I would have to shuttle or walk with luggage to get to rideshare pick-up.  Is this also true for embarkation?  I had planned to Uber to the cruise terminal, but if I have to walk a distance with my luggage I'd rather taxi.  TIA

Almost positive Uber can drop you at the front of the terminal.

Not sure where you are coming from, but taxi from downtown was only $13 in 2019, before tip.

Cruiser Bruce is absolutely correct.  The reason you don't see 'shuttle's' from downtown hotels is they were charging $10-15 per person when a whole cab is less than $20 to either port.  Cabs drop as close to the front door there isn't a huge walk.

I've loved Uber and Lyft in Seattle for years (get there a lot for business and fun) but yes the rates have jumped a ton. The light rail from the airport is incredibly easy, and completely safe, but I get it can be hard if you have a lot of luggage. 

• 2 weeks later...

We sailed from Pier 91 on August 7th.  We took an uber from the airport that day at noon.  The cost was $56.30, which I thought was a bit high.  When we got off the ship, there were taxis lined up, so we asked the price.  The first driver told us it was $45, but told us we had to go to the first car in line.  That guy told us $75, then tried to say that he was giving that price to someone on the phone.  We went with him since we had no choice.  The price changed to $48 when he dropped us off.  He also told us at that time that he would not take a credit card.  Thankfully, we had cash so gave him $50.  He then asked us where was his tip.  That reminded us why we prefer an app based rideshare!

We took an Uber from near the Olympic Sculpture Park to Pier 91 on 8/8.  It was $16.90 before tip. They drop right at the cruise terminal.  On the return there were many taxis waiting.  There would probably not have been enough room for 4 people with luggage in the Uber unless you’re very light packers.

6 hours ago, Madame B said:

We sailed from Pier 91 on August 7th.  We took an uber from the airport that day at noon.  The cost was $56.30, which I thought was a bit high.  When we got off the ship, there were taxis lined up, so we asked the price.  The first driver told us it was $45, but told us we had to go to the first car in line.  That guy told us $75, then tried to say that he was giving that price to someone on the phone.  We went with him since we had no choice.  The price changed to $48 when he dropped us off.  He also told us at that time that he would not take a credit card.  Thankfully, we had cash so gave him $50.  He then asked us where was his tip.  That reminded us why we prefer an app based rideshare!

The rate from the pier to the airport is a flat rate $48.

the only flat rate is from downtown seattle to Seatac for 40.  Unless your using a specific flat rate taxi the rates are metered by time and distance so I wouldn't plan on $48.  There is also now a toll tunnel to the airport so most cabs would take that route.

flatrateforhire.com

2 hours ago, Dan G said:

the only flat rate is from downtown seattle to Seatac for 40.  Unless your using a specific flat rate taxi the rates are metered by time and distance so I wouldn't plan on $48.  There is also now a toll tunnel to the airport so most cabs would take that route.

flatrateforhire.com

@Ferry Watcherreported a week or two ago the flat was being used from 91 to SEA.

I saw that but have no idea where that came from.  When you look on the side of ANY taxi in Seattle the $40 flat rate is shown but that zone does not extend to the pier so I'd be very cautious on what is being offered.  There are a number of 'flat rate cabs' in Seattle and that might be their rate but I wouldn't want people to assume that 'any' cab is $48.