Flight changes

molecrochip

I’ve had it confirmed today that the airlines who usually provide charter flights from U.K. regional airports to Barbados are not bribing their full fleets back into service this winter.

Accordingly to maximise capacity, no flights to/from Birmingham and certain other airports. Additionally, no flights to/from St Lucia.

This one isn’t P&Os fault. Airlines refuse to bring back planes only for use twice a week if they don’t need them for their own uses during the test if the week.

• Like 1

Not exactly unexpected. 

That means, I assume, that the cruises will not sail at full capacity, or will P&O use scheduled flights to partially make up the shortfall in capacity ?

Edited by wowzz

4 hours ago, molecrochip said:

I’ve had it confirmed today that the airlines who usually provide charter flights from U.K. regional airports to Barbados are not bribing their full fleets back into service this winter.

I didn't realise such scandalous practices still took place in the aviation industry...🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, emam said:

I have just read elsewhere that all St. Lucia cruises are cancelled and Barbados is flights from Manchester and Newcastle only. 

Not for one minute doubting what you've seen but I can't believe that they won't have some flights from the South. Maybe they are still in the process of procuring them.

If cruises with St Lucia flights are cancelled that must mean that the 22 night October transatlantic is cancelled. Wonder if they will be offered the 2 week version of the TA instead.

48 minutes ago, Britboys said:

Not for one minute doubting what you've seen but I can't believe that they won't have some flights from the South. Maybe they are still in the process of procuring them.

I read it but wouldn't say that it's reliable, not like molecrochip.

• Like 1

Where there is capacity, passengers may be rebooked.

P&O have been working for weeks to procure extra charter flights, or for St Lucia to provide an easement for immediately departing cruise passengers, but to no avail.

This is why the departures were taken off sale originally however the exact complexity was not immediately apparent and efforts were very much underway to resolve.

I really feel sorry for these passengers affected.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bee-ess said:

If cruises with St Lucia flights are cancelled that must mean that the 22 night October transatlantic is cancelled. Wonder if they will be offered the 2 week version of the TA instead.

Our Transatlantic from St Lucia to Southampton is cancelled so perhaps they'll be a change to the westbound trip too....

17 hours ago, molecrochip said:

Accordingly to maximise capacity, no flights to/from Birmingham and certain other airports. Additionally, no flights to/from St Lucia.

This one isn’t P&Os fault. Airlines refuse to bring back planes only for use twice a week if they don’t need them for their own uses during the test if the week.

I’m flying from London to Barbados in December and Feb. Do you think it’s likely  to be TUI charter or will they pop us on BA/Virgin scheduled flights? 

We booked the other week for the transatlantic cruise in March on Britannia with Birmingham outbound flights. We wanted to book Gatwick but flights were not available. On checking this morning Birmingham flights are still available to book.

Friends of mine were on the 22night Southampton to St Lucia. They just had an email saying that the cruise was now cancelled. They call and rebooked for the 15 night Southampton to Barbados. The Birmingham flights are cancelled and they were offered either London Heathrow or Manchester.

15 minutes ago, Harvey1976 said:

Friends of mine were on the 22night Southampton to St Lucia. They just had an email saying that the cruise was now cancelled. They call and rebooked for the 15 night Southampton to Barbados. The Birmingham flights are cancelled and they were offered either London Heathrow or Manchester.

Heathrow? Very interesting. Wonder if they are using Virgin instead. That would be nice! 

1 minute ago, Harvey1976 said:

She didnt know they are flying into MAN.

Ah ok. Do they have airline details for the MAN flight? Im going in December from LHR and don’t have any flight details yet

Dissappointing news, but it looks as though P&O are doing all they can to mitigate the situation. I am due to fly from Manchester in January to join Azura in Barbados so it sounds as if I will be ok. I sincerely hope so, as it would be my first ocean cruise for 2 years and I am really looking forward to it. But I would appreciate conformation as soon as possible that this is so, so that if it is not I can book an alternative elsewhere.

I have just checked with my TA.

P&O have cancelled some Birmingham flights but our outbound to Barbados on 25/3/22 is still on.

Perhaps P&O/airlines are thinking that holiday demand will have picked up by then

• Like 1

I’ve asked some further questions and understand slightly more planes are back in service with Tui in March as they ramp up for the summer season & Easter.

London Heathrow departures are likely to be BA or Virgin, usually the latter, charter flights. I believe they are trying to avoid scheduled flights so as to bubble passengers.

10 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

I’ve asked some further questions and understand slightly more planes are back in service with Tui in March as they ramp up for the summer season & Easter.

London Heathrow departures are likely to be BA or Virgin, usually the latter, charter flights. I believe they are trying to avoid scheduled flights so as to bubble passengers.

Thanks for all you do Molecrochip!

Fingers crossed it is Virgin. Never had a good experience with BA.

I assume if its a charter, P&O dictate the food and service? Its a shame as the Virgin economy service is outstanding for food and drink. 

And regards to upgrades, all Virgin planes are 3 class. Wonder how that works on a charter! 

3 minutes ago, Glitterati said:

Thanks for all you do Molecrochip!

Fingers crossed it is Virgin. Never had a good experience with BA.

I assume if its a charter, P&O dictate the food and service? Its a shame as the Virgin economy service is outstanding for food and drink. 

And regards to upgrades, all Virgin planes are 3 class. Wonder how that works on a charter! 

TUI planes are 2 Grades, premium and economy ( I avoided using the word ' Class '). P&O will flog you upgrades,🤣

Just now, zap99 said:

TUI planes are 2 Grades, premium and economy ( I avoided using the word ' Class '). P&O will flog you upgrades,🤣

Yeah i've experienced the Tui product! P&O are wanting to charge extortionate amounts for the upgrade to premium. However it now looks like our flight will be BA/Virgin. If its the usual Virgin service i will 100% consider an upgrade as the extras you get are worth the money compared to TUI. If its P&O dictating the food and drink... maybe not. I want my fancy afternoon tea and post dinner digestif! And wall of snacks! 

Glad i didn't book anything at Gatwick. Was very close to doing so for hotel and parking. 

4 minutes ago, Glitterati said:

Yeah i've experienced the Tui product! P&O are wanting to charge extortionate amounts for the upgrade to premium. However it now looks like our flight will be BA/Virgin. If its the usual Virgin service i will 100% consider an upgrade as the extras you get are worth the money compared to TUI. If its P&O dictating the food and drink... maybe not. I want my fancy afternoon tea and post dinner digestif! And wall of snacks! 

Glad i didn't book anything at Gatwick. Was very close to doing so for hotel and parking. 

We have used TUI premium a number of times, also Virgin, air Canada and BA. IMHO, TUI upgrade is about half the price with equal size seats, The 787 that the use now has a nice cabin with big windows. The food and drinks service was as good as, or better. As an example to Barbados TUI premium £350 return and Virgin Premium £600+. Virgin upper class was very good, but +£1400 each seat, each way. It may be offered cheaper than that on a P&O Virgin charter.

3 minutes ago, zap99 said:

We have used TUI premium a number of times, also Virgin, air Canada and BA. IMHO, TUI upgrade is about half the price with equal size seats, The 787 that the use now has a nice cabin with big windows. The food and drinks service was as good as, or better. As an example to Barbados TUI premium £350 return and Virgin Premium £600+. Virgin upper class was very good, but +£1400 each seat, each way. It may be offered cheaper than that on a P&O Virgin charter.

Ah ok. I was being silly in assuming the price was the same haha for a TUI upgrade vs Virgin charter upgrade. 

I've done Virgin economy and Premium, and their economy is strong compared to other airlines. Premium is fab. Not tried Upper yet but most likely will be in 2023 for a special cruise. We all have Virgin credit cards and its very easy to rack up air miles to turn into upgrades. I can't imagine P&O letting me use them however 😅

I do wonder what the prices will be for upgrades. I did a bit of googling, and when P&O chartered Virgin for Adonia Caribbean cruises a few years back, it was £349 to premium and £799 to Upper. That seems low on standard Virgin pricing, so i wonder if it is a reduced service. 

I know Virgin currently use their new a350's for their Barbados route. Wonder if charter will get the same. If so, even economy have massive tv screens on the seat backs.