Hiding/Finding Rubber Ducks

atexsix

Over on Zuckerberg's folly in the HAL friends group they were talking about hiding rubber ducks on ships for people to find, anyone heard of it? I never have. But apparently it's been going on for awhile.  It might be something from when there's more children on board, I don't know.

***No doubt some of you will surely hate the idea or the discussion, so turn those frowns upside down, we can have some fun here.

Edited by atexsix
  • Like 5

Cruising ducks!   I found the Zuckerberg site before my last cruise on the Oosterdam in March of 2020.  You buy some rubber duckies, put a card on them telling people to either keep them or hide them again.  You can hide them anywhere, and hopefully, those that find them post on the other site. I put my first name on my card, and someone even found me on Navigator! (I guess I was the only "Leanne" on her....)

L.

20200304_154637.jpg

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, leerathje said:

Cruising ducks!   I found the Zuckerberg site before my last cruise on the Oosterdam in March of 2020.  You buy some rubber duckies, put a card on them telling people to either keep them or hide them again.  You can hide them anywhere, and hopefully, those that find them post on the other site. I put my first name on my card, and someone even found me on Navigator! (I guess I was the only "Leanne" on her....)

L.

20200304_154637.jpg

Where do you get the card?  This looks like a fun thing to do.

• Like 2

I bought some make-your-own business cards and printed them before I left. There are some templates on the other site...you can see what various people put on the cards.  I "borrowed" the HAL logo and made up my own message as to what to say.  And it was fun!

I understand the staff are aware of them, and leave them to be found, instead of throwing them away.

L.

• Like 2

People thought gender reveal parties were innocent fun until they got stupid and burned entire forests down causing millions in damage and killing people. At some point you need to ask yourself, "is this innocent idiotic thing possibly going to harm someone?"

If someone flushed one of these things down a cruse ship toilet, how much harm could it do?

8 minutes ago, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

Could someone please post it on the Holland America FB page.

Do you mean to post the information on the Cruising Ducks FB page on the HAL FB Page?

L.

10 minutes ago, SumoCitrus said:

People thought gender reveal parties were innocent fun until they got stupid and burned entire forests down causing millions in damage and killing people. At some point you need to ask yourself, "is this innocent idiotic thing possibly going to harm someone?"

If someone flushed one of these things down a cruse ship toilet, how much harm could it do?

Why would anyone flush a rubber ducky down a toilet?

L.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

Yes please.

Unfortunately, my post was rejected.  You cannot share content from outside the FB group, and you cannot share links.  If you search "Holland America Cruising Ducks" in FB, you should be able to find it and join the group.  

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, leerathje said:

Unfortunately, my post was rejected.  You cannot share content from outside the FB group, and you cannot share links.  If you search "Holland America Cruising Ducks" in FB, you should be able to find it and join the group.  

Thanks could you post it on the Holland America FB page as well??

• Like 1

I've only done this once but it was fun.  So here's the card I created and printed out for our Vancouver to Auckland 40 night repo in 2019.  I tied the card to the duck's neck with a piece of yarn.  DH helped me hide them a couple of times ... we did it early in the morning before most people were out and about on the ship. 

image.png.2182d140aecf29f80f4570c2ac813931.png

Con-QUACK-ulations!

You found a Cruising Duck!

I embarked HA Noordam in Vancouver 10-13-19

Keep or Hide – YOU decide!

(but please don’t hide me in any

shops, pools, or spas) 

And if you’re so inclined post a picture with me

on FB @ Holland America Cruising Ducks

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1