Last minute cruise.. fly in morning of?

FiremedicMike151

5 minutes ago, FiremedicMike151 said:

So I just checked priceline, looks like there are several flights amongst several airlines that morning that would get me there in time.  I'm going to do the early flight..

Wish me luck!

Wishing you speedy on time flight to your vacation!  Putting the good karma out there for you!

Remember, IF something does go wrong with that flight and you have to recover quickly and find a new one - have them try FLL too!  I have 4 cruises worth of flights booked in and out of FLL for Miami cruise.

Edited by wemjam

I've flown in the morning of my 3 previous cruises with no issues and have my October cruise set up the same way. Never close to a problem before, but this does have me rethinking it. 

minority here- we usually fly in the day of the cruise. we prefer the early morning flights, I feel there is less that goes wrong with them. Your plane is usually already at your airport rather than waiting for it to come from who knows where, and you wake up and you are on your way. I would do the 9:30 flight. if something did happen when you were awake and ready to go to the airport, you have lots of time to make a fix.

Are there any later flights?  Most ships stop boarding around 3 or 4 pm.  Figure 30 minutes to get to ship after you land, try for a 230 pm landing.  What could go wrong?  Heck, just joking.  ALL IT TAKES IS ONE MISSED CRUISE and you will never fly the day of again.  ALWAYS fly day before.  Right now there are many delayed and canceled flights for a number of reasons.  NEVER fly day of.  Period.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FiremedicMike151 said:

Family drama has prompted me to try to book a last minute cruise for my wife and I. 

Our options for flights aren't great, as she works until 7p on the night before the cruise.  There is a flight at 7:15, so she could possibly get coverage and we could do that.  There's another flight the next morning (day of the cruise) which arrives in Miami at 12:40pm.\

Actually I just found a third option, a direct flight from my airport to Miami with American which arrives in Miami at 9:30am (day of cruise)

How risky is the flight on the day of the cruise?  It's august, unlikely to get weather delays..

The thing I'd worry about more than weather is an arbitrary cancellation by the airline or other delays on the airlines part. I have heard so many change issues this year when it comes to flights. I'd definitely shoot for the late night flight the day before if your wife can get coverage- even if she works half the shift and leaves for the airport from work. Failing that is there anyway you could do an overnight drive to the port? In my case that's always an option and I might just do that. I always tell friends if I get to Disney World one day late due to airline scheduling problems I miss a day at Disney World. If I get in to my departure port one day late I miss my ship.  

A whole lot depends on where you're flying from as well.  Think of the cities with multiple airports, and every airline under the sun.  If you're leaving out of New York, Chicago, DC, or Houston, there's probably a good half a dozen flight that will get you to the Miami area every hour.  Some us are used to dealing with more constraints, and some less.

Last time I flew to an ocean cruise, my bag was 6 hours later than me.  Something to consider if you fly the day of.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, SCBarker said:

A whole lot depends on where you're flying from as well.  Think of the cities with multiple airports, and every airline under the sun.  If you're leaving out of New York, Chicago, DC, or Houston, there's probably a good half a dozen flight that will get you to the Miami area every hour.  Some us are used to dealing with more constraints, and some less.

Last time I flew to an ocean cruise, my bag was 6 hours later than me.  Something to consider if you fly the day of.

Very good points.  I remember on one of our cruises we had a meeting 'n greet on the first day and we met a couple who's luggage was lost at the airport so they didn't have a change of clothes.  Fast forward 3 days later and their luggage still hadn't made it on the ship.  They FINALLY got their luggage on like day 5 of a 7 day cruise!  Never happened to us and it's a highly unlikely to happen but that is another potential risk; moreso if flying in the same day.

Here's the way I try go look at it.  For the price of my 2.5 motel I get peace of mind. 

We have flown numerous times after work or school on Friday to make a cruise on Saturday including all the way to San Juan and all the way to Anchorage, both from Chicago.  Airlines have a funny way of wanting that plane to get to its overnight parking spot, regardless of the hour.  Land as normal at 9p, great.  Roll in at 3a, I still have some time to catch a few zzz but I'm there.

We did have an interesting strategy once. MDW to MCO Friday night; MCO to SJU o'dark thirty Saturday in the months following Maria when lodging in San Juan was very scarce.  Now our cruise wasn't leaving until Saturday evening so I was comfortable.

8 minutes ago, vacruisin said:

Very good points.  I remember on one of our cruises we had a meeting 'n greet on the first day and we met a couple who's luggage was lost at the airport so they didn't have a change of clothes.  Fast forward 3 days later and their luggage still hadn't made it on the ship.  They FINALLY got their luggage on like day 5 of a 7 day cruise!  Never happened to us and it's a highly unlikely to happen but that is another potential risk; moreso if flying in the same day.

International flying not much better. We sailed on the Vista TA out of Barcelona some years back. One of the gals in our group had her luggage "lost" at de Gaulle in France. Was very odd. She was in touch with the airline/airport the couple of days we were in Barcelona, and they had located her luggage. First it was promised to be delivered to the hotel in Barcelona, then at a couple of the ports we stopped at, but she never got her luggage during the entire 14 day cruise. However, what she did get, was reimbursed something like $2500!!! Which she used for another cruise.

4 hours ago, FiremedicMike151 said:

Family drama has prompted me to try to book a last minute cruise for my wife and I. 

Our options for flights aren't great, as she works until 7p on the night before the cruise.  There is a flight at 7:15, so she could possibly get coverage and we could do that.  There's another flight the next morning (day of the cruise) which arrives in Miami at 12:40pm.\

Actually I just found a third option, a direct flight from my airport to Miami with American which arrives in Miami at 9:30am (day of cruise)

How risky is the flight on the day of the cruise?  It's august, unlikely to get weather delays..

A definite no to the 12:40 pm flight. The AA non stop arriving at 9:30 am is possible but risky.  My AA non stop flight was  just changed by AA to a stop over in Charlotte. And by the way, no one let me know, I just happened to be checking. 

Since cruise #1 we've flown at least one day prior to our sail date. After several cruises I started to think, why not chance it...all of our previous cruise flights went off without issue, why not save the extra expense of coming in the day before, and just get early flights the day of. Well, a work associate took care of that after his experience with missing a cruise flying in the day of.

They were sailing on the Oasis of the Seas out of FLL. They had a flight out of a small regional airport in WV to FLL, through Atlanta. Flight from WV was at something like 5:30am. One of the planes either in WV or Atlanta, I can't recall which, had mechanical issues. They worked with the airlines, got on a flight to FLL, landed, thought maybe they were cutting it close, but felt they made it. They arrive at the port, see the Oasis still docked, but were denied boarding as they arrived to close to the sail time. I might coulda handled just plain arriving after the ship sailed, but to be staring right at the ship but not aloud on.....I thinking I'd a melted down for sure....

Our experience is that it is best to depend on the good graces of the local ground team and failing that, on the 1-800.  One person lines up at the desk, the other is on 1 800 hold.  We have had several instances where the ground team has been incredibly kind, helpful, understanding whatever.

Just have to remember that they have probably had a hell of a day.  Treat them with kindness and respect. And smile. Never mind the yelling or pulling the 'I am so important BS'    Don't forget...the cards do not always fall your way.  Cruise air or non cruise air.

Plus...understand what the fare code on your ticket actually means.  Especially if the weather is bad.

I would go the night before even if it is a rush.  Think how relaxing your next day will be when you wake up and find yourself at your cruise embarkation city.   Have a nice leisurely breakfast and be thankful you are not rushing to the airport and worrying about your flight.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1