CPAP requires distilled water, do I need to bring the water with me?

Hoes

My CPAP machine requires distilled water.  Is there distilled water available on the ship or will I need to bring it with me?  I am sailing Island Princess.

Edited by Hoes
Mispelling

You aren't "required" to use distilled water. Distilled water is used to prevent the build-up of mineral deposits that would result if you use tap water for a prolonged period of time. Like when you boil water to prepare pasta, etc.

You can use tap water for a day or 2 (if you run out of distilled) at home.

I had a patient who went on a cruise and didn't use any water because he was unaware that the ship would provide and was afraid to use tap water. He was not a happy camper.

You can also use the tap water on the ship (if they run out of distilled). Ship tap water is made the same way that commercial distilled is made.

For your reference: I'm a retired Respiratory Therapist and was responsible for CPAP/BiPAP/ventilator use and instruction for 30+ years in several different states.

BTW: don't forget to pack your power cord (happens all the time), take a spare mask cushion and a small amount of duct tape (in case the hose springs a leak 😉).

• Like 2

Our units have detachable tanks and can be used with or without water. At home we only use the tanks during the winter heating season. Summer at home and onboard cruises we find the air humid enough to go without the water tanks. Less to transport also. But as with all things like this, your situation may be different.

49 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Ship tap water is made the same way that commercial distilled is made.

SOME ship's water is made the same as commercial distilled water.  Some is not.  Many ships either have a Reverse Osmosis watermaker (doesn't even come close to distilled), or a combination of a distiller and an RO unit.  Further, many ships take on municipal water when their itinerary does not allow sufficient time for the ship's watermakers to keep up.  Further, if the water is made by distillation on the ship, that water is slightly acidic, and attacks the ship's piping, so the ship will "reharden" the water by passing it through calcium carbonate (the active ingredient in Tums), so there will be a certain mineral content in even the ship's distilled water.  So, you cannot make the statement that ship's water is the same as commercial distilled.

Further, unlike water at home, which is chlorinated at the plant, and by the time it gets to your house, the chlorine has dissipated, ship's water is constantly circulated, and is required to have a residual chlorine content at the furthest point at all times.  So, the best thing if using ship's tap water is to fill your reservoir with water in the morning, and leave it sit, and by night the chlorine will have dissipated.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

SOME ship's water is made the same as commercial distilled water.  Some is not.  Many ships either have a Reverse Osmosis watermaker (doesn't even come close to distilled), or a combination of a distiller and an RO unit.  Further, many ships take on municipal water when their itinerary does not allow sufficient time for the ship's watermakers to keep up.  Further, if the water is made by distillation on the ship, that water is slightly acidic, and attacks the ship's piping, so the ship will "reharden" the water by passing it through calcium carbonate (the active ingredient in Tums), so there will be a certain mineral content in even the ship's distilled water.  So, you cannot make the statement that ship's water is the same as commercial distilled.

Further, unlike water at home, which is chlorinated at the plant, and by the time it gets to your house, the chlorine has dissipated, ship's water is constantly circulated, and is required to have a residual chlorine content at the furthest point at all times.  So, the best thing if using ship's tap water is to fill your reservoir with water in the morning, and leave it sit, and by night the chlorine will have dissipated.

Interesting. But it's still OK to use ship water in a humidifier.

1 hour ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Interesting. But it's still OK to use ship water in a humidifier.

We have used ship water on occassion.  It is okay and does not hurt the CPAP.   But, as others stated, you can order in advance or just ask the room steward.  

In a pinch, if we are uncomfortable with the tap water somewhere, we will use regular (name brand) bottled water.

After having requested distilled water on (almost) every cruise, I have never had them deny my request.  Like above (on occasion) when I have forgotten to ask ahead of time I use bottled water and then catch up to the steward in the hallway and request for the rest of the trip.  They're used to it and don't even give it a second thought.

I ended buying a mini CPAP for traveling. My main one is too big and bulky to carry around the airport and onto the ship. The mini had humidifier attachment that uses the moisture in your breath to humidify the incoming air. 

11 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

You aren't "required" to use distilled water. Distilled water is used to prevent the build-up of mineral deposits

BTW: don't forget to pack your power cord (happens all the time), take a spare mask cushion and a small amount of duct tape (in case the hose springs a leak 😉).

Plumber's tape works great on hose leaks.  Much better and more convenient than Duct Tape.  I actually learned it on a cruise ship.  I had a small leak and asked a maintenance person in the passageway for duct tape and he whipped out plumber's tape and fixed it for me on the spot.

Just my opinion, but in over 20 years on CPAP, and over 550 days on cruise ships, I have never used distilled water, and never had a problem.  My longest cruise was 64 days, and I took an old tank, so it had lots of use and no build up.  Admittedly the water here in San Francisco is exceptional (mostly snow melt) but I have never had any build up.  Also, Medicare, and my supplemental insurance cover a new tank twice a year.  I usually replace it once a year.

9 hours ago, 2 cruises a year said:

Plumber's tape works great on hose leaks.  Much better and more convenient than Duct Tape.  I actually learned it on a cruise ship.  I had a small leak and asked a maintenance person in the passageway for duct tape and he whipped out plumber's tape and fixed it for me on the spot.

Just my opinion, but in over 20 years on CPAP, and over 550 days on cruise ships, I have never used distilled water, and never had a problem.  My longest cruise was 64 days, and I took an old tank, so it had lots of use and no build up.  Admittedly the water here in San Francisco is exceptional (mostly snow melt) but I have never had any build up.  Also, Medicare, and my supplemental insurance cover a new tank twice a year.  I usually replace it once a year.

Never thought of plumber's tape. Whatever works, right?

9 hours ago, 2 cruises a year said:

It's plumbing tape the Teflon tape you use on fitting threads?

On 7/29/2021 at 11:44 AM, JF - retired RRT said:

You aren't "required" to use distilled water. Distilled water is used to prevent the build-up of mineral deposits that would result if you use tap water for a prolonged period of time. Like when you boil water to prepare pasta, etc.

You can use tap water for a day or 2 (if you run out of distilled) at home.

I had a patient who went on a cruise and didn't use any water because he was unaware that the ship would provide and was afraid to use tap water. He was not a happy camper.

You can also use the tap water on the ship (if they run out of distilled). Ship tap water is made the same way that commercial distilled is made.

For your reference: I'm a retired Respiratory Therapist and was responsible for CPAP/BiPAP/ventilator use and instruction for 30+ years in several different states.

Thank you. We are going on a world cruise for 111 days and was worried about it.