Requirements for September European Cruise

abr5000

Hi Everyone!

I'm looking at maybe booking the September 23 11-Day Greek Island/Italy cruise out of Rome on the Getaway.   However, I'm curious what the current rules are for American's cruising from Italy.

I heard that mask wearing will be mandated, which isn't too much of a surprise.   Also, you have to show your vaccine card.

However, what other rules are out there?  Do you have to take a negative test to get on the ship?  Will they be giving tests out at the end of the cruise for travel back to the US?  

I greatly appreciate any guidance or info.

Thanks!

Ashley

• Like 1

You have to get a test before getting on the ship. If you test positive you get your money back. There is a form you fill out before getting on the plane.It was hard to find but I finally found it. You also have to have a negative test to get back to the US. I am on this cruise so ask any questions you have, I can try to help. Are you on your own? I'm solo.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, victory2020 said:

You have to get a test before getting on the ship. If you test positive you get your money back. There is a form you fill out before getting on the plane.It was hard to find but I finally found it. You also have to have a negative test to get back to the US. I am on this cruise so ask any questions you have, I can try to help. Are you on your own? I'm solo.

This is so super helpful!!! Thank you for this information :).

Did you travel right to the cruise port?  I was thinking of spending a few days in Rome beforehand.

I will be traveling with my husband but then that is just one more person to worry about!

Are you having a nice time?

7 minutes ago, abr5000 said:

This is so super helpful!!! Thank you for this information :).

Did you travel right to the cruise port?  I was thinking of spending a few days in Rome beforehand.

I will be traveling with my husband but then that is just one more person to worry about!

Are you having a nice time?

I'm still in the US, just been doing a lot of research. Good idea to spend time in Rome first. With new restrictions if your flight is late & you miss the ship you cannot get on at the next port.I would also recommend self quarantining as much as possible before leaving since you CAN test positive even if you are vaccinated (something I just learned)

2 minutes ago, victory2020 said:

I'm still in the US, just been doing a lot of research. Good idea to spend time in Rome first. With new restrictions if your flight is late & you miss the ship you cannot get on at the next port.I would also recommend self quarantining as much as possible before leaving since you CAN test positive even if you are vaccinated (something I just learned)

Ah! That makes sense.   Well thank you for doing all of the research 🙂    And now I get that you said "I am on this cruise".   If we take it, I will be happy to find you as a friend!

Great point and I really do appreciate your help here.

8 minutes ago, abr5000 said:

Ah! That makes sense.   Well thank you for doing all of the research 🙂    And now I get that you said "I am on this cruise".   If we take it, I will be happy to find you as a friend!

Great point and I really do appreciate your help here.

Yes! Let me know what you decide. Ship & ports will probably be less crowded, that's what I'm excited about! Perfect time to go

1 minute ago, victory2020 said:

Yes! Let me know what you decide. Ship & ports will probably be less crowded, that's what I'm excited about! Perfect time to go

Yes!  And the weather will be a little less hot.

• Like 1

I am on this same cruise but in October, so I will be on the ship right after you get off.  We are flying into Rome on October 13 to board the ship on the 14th 

So let us know how it goes by perhaps posting some info here when you board and while you are on ship.  Much appreciated.

• Like 1

I also bought some of those Abbott at home covid tests with the emed option to take prior to flying into Rome, and then another to take before we go to the pier to board the ship. 

I bought the emed ones so I have the option to take them with or without the virtual visit option. 

You can take one of those yourself while being watched via your phone or computer up to 3 days prior to flying home and use the results to board the plane home if you test negative. 

So that will eliminate some fears about testing positive I think.   

Edited by goodmanl1975
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, goodmanl1975 said:

I am on this same cruise but in October, so I will be on the ship right after you get off.  We are flying into Rome on October 13 to board the ship on the 14th 

So let us know how it goes by perhaps posting some info here when you board and while you are on ship.  Much appreciated.

Same here.  Fingers crossed it all goes as planned!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, goodmanl1975 said:

I also bought some of those Abbott at home covid tests with the emed option to take prior to flying into Rome, and then another to take before we go to the pier to board the ship. 

I bought the emed ones so I have the option to take them with or without the virtual visit option. 

You can take one of those yourself while being watched via your phone or computer up to 3 days prior to flying home and use the results to board the plane home if you test negative. 

Not stressing too much about testing - for cruises through Oct 31, my understanding is that NCL will take care of all the details - testing, repatriation if necessary, along with refunds if you test positive.  I semi-quarrantine as it is (just my normal non-social self) so minimal exposure possibility until I actually get on the plane, then the ship itself.

26 minutes ago, julig22 said:

Not stressing too much about testing - for cruises through Oct 31, my understanding is that NCL will take care of all the details - testing, repatriation if necessary, along with refunds if you test positive.  I semi-quarrantine as it is (just my normal non-social self) so minimal exposure possibility until I actually get on the plane, then the ship itself.

It is more of a peace of mind thing for me.  

3 hours ago, abr5000 said:

Hi Everyone!

I'm looking at maybe booking the September 23 11-Day Greek Island/Italy cruise out of Rome on the Getaway.   However, I'm curious what the current rules are for American's cruising from Italy.

I heard that mask wearing will be mandated, which isn't too much of a surprise.   Also, you have to show your vaccine card.

However, what other rules are out there?  Do you have to take a negative test to get on the ship?  Will they be giving tests out at the end of the cruise for travel back to the US?  

I greatly appreciate any guidance or info.

Thanks!

Ashley

Chat with the folks on your cruise on 

• Like 2

Currently, guests who are residents of the United Kingdom are required to provide proof of a negative COVID-19 antigen or PCR test, performed by a third party and taken no more than 72-hours prior to embarkation, upon boarding. Additionally, these guests will receive an antigen test at the terminal as part of the standard protocols. Those that cannot present a negative test at the terminal during check in will be denied boarding without refund.

5 hours ago, Trimone said:

Currently, guests who are residents of the United Kingdom are required to provide proof of a negative COVID-19 antigen or PCR test, performed by a third party and taken no more than 72-hours prior to embarkation, upon boarding. Additionally, these guests will receive an antigen test at the terminal as part of the standard protocols. Those that cannot present a negative test at the terminal during check in will be denied boarding without refund.

. You will get a full refund if you test positive, if you refuse test you will not get your money back

7 hours ago, goodmanl1975 said:

5 hours ago, Trimone said:

It makes absolutely no sense that they require the option of a negative fast antigen test within 72 hours or embarkation, when they are doing a rapid antigen test at the terminal.  

I’d recommend keeping a close eye on any travel restrictions for countries you plan of visiting or transiting through.  I opted not to make my final payment on this sailing.  My flights transited through the UK for which  Italy required a 5 day quarantine.  I looked into changing my flights but Im booked on miles (had a sweet deal on first class British Airways) We live in the Pacific Northwest & really don’t want to fly across country in order to get on a direct flight into Rome. I kept my flights for now and might still hop back on the sailing if Italian restrictions lighten up for UK arrivals.   It will be a last minute decision if available. The itinerary looks great and I was pretty torn up in deciding to cancel.  It’s not so much Covid or fear of Covid for me anymore- it’s more about trying to predict related restrictions and plan as hassle free vacation as possible.  We switched our credits towards August Alaska - went from  11 to 7 nights and Haven to spa balcony. 🙄

1 hour ago, podgeandrodge said:

It makes absolutely no sense that they require the option of a negative fast antigen test within 72 hours or embarkation, when they are doing a rapid antigen test at the terminal.  

I believe that is a requirement to enter the country, not under NCL control.  Requirements change daily and are different depending on your nationality and travel history.

1 hour ago, littlelulu01 said:

I’d recommend keeping a close eye on any travel restrictions for countries you plan of visiting or transiting through.  I opted not to make my final payment on this sailing.  My flights transited through the UK for which  Italy required a 5 day quarantine.  I looked into changing my flights but Im booked on miles (had a sweet deal on first class British Airways) We live in the Pacific Northwest & really don’t want to fly across country in order to get on a direct flight into Rome. I kept my flights for now and might still hop back on the sailing if Italian restrictions lighten up for UK arrivals.   It will be a last minute decision if available. The itinerary looks great and I was pretty torn up in deciding to cancel.  It’s not so much Covid or fear of Covid for me anymore- it’s more about trying to predict related restrictions and plan as hassle free vacation as possible.  We switched our credits towards August Alaska - went from  11 to 7 nights and Haven to spa balcony. 🙄

If I'm reading it right, US & Canadian citizens don't have to quarantine, as of last week anyway.  But of course that could change tomorrow.  I'm thinking of getting tested just before I leave, just for peace of mind.

Using NCL air so don't have my flight info yet but they originally listed flying out of Newark from Oregon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, julig22 said:

If I'm reading it right, US & Canadian citizens don't have to quarantine, as of last week anyway.  But of course that could change tomorrow.  I'm thinking of getting tested just before I leave, just for peace of mind.

Using NCL air so don't have my flight info yet but they originally listed flying out of Newark from Oregon.

You are correct on the quarantine but there’s definitely a few unless and if’s. the devil in the details. You have ncl air so ncl should book you qualifying air.  If booking the sailing today I don’t think the airfare can be added because we’re less than 60 days so I mentioned just because it’s a potential road block for someone planning a trip today.  According to Italy’s current rules, anyone from any country (including USA and Canada) will need to quarantine for 5 days upon arriving to Italy and test negative regardless of vaccination status if they have stayed or transited through the uk in the 14 days prior to arriving to Italy.  Lots of rules and rules changing all the time.  

the ship will sail with 100% vaccinated passengers so it shouldn’t be too difficult for us, but as of August 6th Italy is also requiring a green pass to enter indoor restaurants, public buildings, museums… I don’t know if our cdc cards will be valid in lieu of a green pass or what the procedure will be. Something to definitely keep apprised of though. 

12 hours ago, littlelulu01 said:

You are correct on the quarantine but there’s definitely a few unless and if’s. the devil in the details. You have ncl air so ncl should book you qualifying air.  If booking the sailing today I don’t think the airfare can be added because we’re less than 60 days so I mentioned just because it’s a potential road block for someone planning a trip today.  According to Italy’s current rules, anyone from any country (including USA and Canada) will need to quarantine for 5 days upon arriving to Italy and test negative regardless of vaccination status if they have stayed or transited through the uk in the 14 days prior to arriving to Italy.  Lots of rules and rules changing all the time.  

the ship will sail with 100% vaccinated passengers so it shouldn’t be too difficult for us, but as of August 6th Italy is also requiring a green pass to enter indoor restaurants, public buildings, museums… I don’t know if our cdc cards will be valid in lieu of a green pass or what the procedure will be. Something to definitely keep apprised of though. 

Yes I am concerned about this too.  I have read that France already requires a green pass, and some people have not been allowed into museums or restaurants even when showing their original CDC vaccination card.  

Edited by goodmanl1975

We booked the Getaway Oct. 14,  2021

Last time we took NCL cruise out of Rome we arrived two days before took train from airport to Rome got to hotel and crashed on bed exhausted from flight and train ride.

so first day in Rome didn’t off much sightseeing, seconded day we rushed around to see what we could next morning got up and headed to train station.  Train to cruise port is a local which stopped at several stations along the way. Once at cruise port station it was a short walk to port entrance then a longer walk to ship. 

This cruise we are planning to fly in and take NCL transfer to ship and pray everything is on time.

we’ve been to Rome several times if this was my first time I would do cruise first and then two days at end in Rome.