Embarking and testing experience

jamiebarnzy

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

I always use text messaging when cruising, even when sending them at sea, the charge for each text was only at the overseas rate, which from memory was only about 50p.

Thanks, it should still be free to receive a text, I believe? 

3 hours ago, jaydee6969 said:

It all depended on how close the ship was to shore.  Along the Dorset and Devon coast I seemed to have signal a lot during the day, but off the Cornish coast had limited reception mostly in the morning near Lands End.  I was mostly checking when out on deck, didn't really check when inside.

On our Iona cruise next week I am not expecting to receive much 4G signal at all, perhaps only when we are near a few islands around Scotland, as I expect we will be in the main shipping lanes for much of the journey.

Thanks, did you use a phone signal to make calls at all, or just data? 

We found it depended on your network provider how good the signal was but most of the time land was in sight and you could get varying degrees of signal from that side of the ship.  If you know how to search for your provider in settings on your phone rather than wait for the signal to be stronger than maritime it helps too.  Basically, there will be plenty of opportunities to get online.

Also, I understand that people are being bussed into town if they arrive too early for embarkation.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Pippa04 said:

We found it depended on your network provider how good the signal was but most of the time land was in sight and you could get varying degrees of signal from that side of the ship.  If you know how to search for your provider in settings on your phone rather than wait for the signal to be stronger than maritime it helps too.  Basically, there will be plenty of opportunities to get online.

Also, I understand that people are being bussed into town if they arrive too early for embarkation.

Where have you heard that they are busing people into town if they arrive too early for embarkation?

I hope that is the case as I've seen on Youtube that its taken up to 3 hours from queuing up for testing to getting on the ship.  We've got a 12 o'clock embarkation time for Saturday on Iona, so are planning to get to the testing station at that time as advised.

I live locally and know a lot of people who work at the docks.  They've seen the buses and were told that's what was happening but I don't want to quote it as gospel as these things can get exaggerated as they're passed on!

1 hour ago, Pippa04 said:

I live locally and know a lot of people who work at the docks.  They've seen the buses and were told that's what was happening but I don't want to quote it as gospel as these things can get exaggerated as they're passed on!

Thanks for the information, will be interesting to see what happens.

On 8/1/2021 at 9:47 AM, luv2cruzuk said:

Hello all

I made a video about the process that we went through to get tested at the drive through site….

maxresdefault.jpg
https://youtu.be/Svk2pVReIUw

Just watched your video, thanks for info

I think it's awful they make people queue upto 2 hours for the Covid test in an area with no toilets. Especially when their could be elderly people or people with medical problems travelling. 

Greetings,

Have just returned from the 3 nights on Britannia - Our comments.

We were CPS Parking so 'Back Door' entrance.  Arrived at 'The White Tent' at about

11.30 (Time on our Boarding card 12.30). About 30 cars there already.

Covid Tests started just after 12.00 and it was getting on for 12.30 by the time we

got to the front of our line of cars (4 lines). Fairly quick procedure (nose swab only)

BUT as they had no details of our mobile(?) we were given a blue wrist band and told

to report in as normal and we would be informed by the staff at check in our results.

Made our way to the Ocean Terminal and CPS took our car off us with no problem.

Only change was that you now have to take your own luggage from the car to the drop

off point for cases (No Porters).

Made our way into the terminal showing numerous people our blue wrist bands. Eventually

we found our way to the rest of the people who were in the 'Blue Wrist Band Area'.

A Lady came over and asked our names and upon checking her lap top told us to

proceed to the main check-in desk (at this point we had been in the terminal less than

5 minutes).

Normal check in procedure and photo taken and then await boarding. We were on Board

by 1.30pm.

Cabin cards were waiting for us at our Cabin entrance.

Managed to book Sindu for the first night with the help of the 'My Holiday' personnel (our

use of Apps is I am afraid not great so we had not downloaded it onto our phone). All the 

bookings we made on the Cruise were made with the help of one of the My Holiday

personnel.

The wearing of face masks is required whilst moving around the Ship is required but

they can be taken off when sitting down EXCEPT in the Theatre . 

Room Service will bring your Breakfast to your cabin if requested in the normal way.

Hope this is useful

Regards 

John (real name) and Margaret

• Like 7

Greetings,

Yes the entrance used was the entrance via dock gate 20.

There is a booking system for meals in the main (anytime) dining rooms.

Lunch times we found no problem getting in - just turn up and we were shown to

a table straight away

If you happy to eat your evening meal before 6.30 then normally there is

no problem getting in.  After that there might be a bit of a wait as more  people

want their evening meal.  Most of the seating is on tables for 2 unless you have

previously mentioned that you have a joint booking.

Regards

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Embarkation experience on Britannia Sunday 8th  - we had been assigned 1pm testing time.
We used gate 20 entrance, and got to testing at 12.40pm, only had to wait about 20-25 mins for testing. Some traffic driving to Ocean Terminal, and a long line for CPS parking (probably wouldn't use them again because of this) Our test results came through whilst we were waiting for CPS, walked into terminal, did all the the check-in bits, and had to sit and wait 30 mins for boarding. We were on the ship by 3pm. 

You have to be lucky to be able not to have a wait for cps parking .I have known us being able to drive straight round and drop bags off and have waited in queues as directed but whichever happens at least they are very helpful and get you sorted as quickly as possible don't think thing will get any faster as more ships and more capacity grows through these covid rules .Will be interesting on the 25th September when both iona and britannia both in port for their first med cruises .Iona in Ocean and britannia in mayflower . 

Was gate 20 easy to get to and well signposted looking at the maps looks like its left off Millbrook roundabout what is the traffic like .I may be approaching from the motorway. But if staying night before drive past gate 10 and onto Millbrook roundabout guess they don't want you to drive through gate 10 really .Any imformation would be grateful ,.hate following a map or even a sat nav but needs must 

32 minutes ago, Bin man said:

Was gate 20 easy to get to and well signposted looking at the maps looks like its left off Millbrook roundabout what is the traffic like .I may be approaching from the motorway. But if staying night before drive past gate 10 and onto Millbrook roundabout guess they don't want you to drive through gate 10 really .Any imformation would be grateful ,.hate following a map or even a sat nav but needs must 

It is left off Millbrook roundabout (if you are coming from Gate 10 direction)
We came straight from M27/M271 so right at Millbrook roundabout onto First Ave and it was signed. traffic from that gate to the testing centre was v light

There is a KFC and Mcdonalds at that Millbrook roundabout if anyone needs a pit stop, or is too early (not on the road to the port)KFC Millbrook Roundabout, Millbrook, Southampton SO16 9SH
Postcode also helps for sat nav to start with .... I studied google maps first!