I always wondered about the cruise I cancelled ... Independence 8-day August14, 2021

I was booked on a sailing to Aruba and Curacao on the Independence out of Miami leaving August 14. I know the Independence has moved to Galveston and I've heard many of the Independence sailings were switched to Odyssey. Was that Independence cruise cancelled outright or were guests moved to a different ship?

I was booked on the Indy in October. I was then switched to the Odyssey. I liked the move so I didn’t request any changes. I could have gotten a full refund (booked refundable), but wasn’t interested. I was also upgraded to a better location aka aft cabin.

Edited by ReneeFLL
  • Like 1

Odyssey just started sailing July 31 with similar sailings to the Independence. We were scheduled on the 10/17 sailing of the Indy. We were offered the 125% FCC, 100% refund, or if we declined these offers, would be moved to "a similar sailing."  We were moved  to the Odyssey with an unbelievable cabin upgrade.

13 hours ago, emeraldcity said:

I was booked on a sailing to Aruba and Curacao on the Independence out of Miami leaving August 14. I know the Independence has moved to Galveston and I've heard many of the Independence sailings were switched to Odyssey. Was that Independence cruise cancelled outright or were guests moved to a different ship?

I was booked on the Aug 14th Independence cruise and was automatically moved to Odyssey.  Only difference is that it’s sailing out of Ft Lauderdale instead of Miami.  If you we’re booked on this cruise and not moved, you need to contact Royal ASAP!

I did too as I watched Celebrity Edge sail out a couple weeks ago.  We were scheduled to be on Edge last September,  I was so excited to see that ship and then along came a spider and sat down right here!  Itsch!  What a fiasco.  Don't know if I'll ever make it aboard Edge.............sigh!

2 hours ago, sellwingri said:

I was booked on the Aug 14th Independence cruise and was automatically moved to Odyssey.  Only difference is that it’s sailing out of Ft Lauderdale instead of Miami.  If you we’re booked on this cruise and not moved, you need to contact Royal ASAP!

I decided to move the cruise to a totally different sailing. The challenge with this cruise is that I have to work around my granddaughter's college semesters ... and I wasn't willing to tie up that much money (I'm paying for all three of us in a balcony) and hope for an FCC. The concept of a Lift & Shift was ruled out by the fact there wasn't anything comparable in the time frame in 2022. So just before final payment I contacted Royal and they let me move to the Symphony in late May.

I hope you have a great time on the Odyssey. My cruising friend and I were to have sailed on her this October for a Greek Isles cruise, followed by the TA ... and we all know what happened to that.

I think my answer should tell you exactly what you wanted to know.  I booked the Brilliance for August 2021.  When they moved that ship elsewhere, they moved our reservations to the August 14, 2021 sailing on the Independence (the specific cruise you are asking about).  Then when the Indy got moved to Texas, RCCL automatically moved us to the Odyssey of the Seas.  Currently we are set to sail on August 14, 2021 on the Odyssey.

From our originally booked cruise, it is a massive upgrade.  That said, the hoops we have had to jump through thus far have been exhausting to go on this cruise.  We all just hope we actually get to sail on it and nothing else gets in our way of cruising on the 14th.

I can also tell you that when the Indy got switched out, they kept the Aruba and Curacao stops.  They removed Labadee and replaced it with Falmouth, Jamaica.  About 3 weeks ago, they removed Falmouth and replaced it with a Perfect Day at Coco Cay.

56 minutes ago, Russ Lomas said:

I think my answer should tell you exactly what you wanted to know.  I booked the Brilliance for August 2021.  When they moved that ship elsewhere, they moved our reservations to the August 14, 2021 sailing on the Independence (the specific cruise you are asking about).  Then when the Indy got moved to Texas, RCCL automatically moved us to the Odyssey of the Seas.  Currently we are set to sail on August 14, 2021 on the Odyssey.

From our originally booked cruise, it is a massive upgrade.  That said, the hoops we have had to jump through thus far have been exhausting to go on this cruise.  We all just hope we actually get to sail on it and nothing else gets in our way of cruising on the 14th.

I can also tell you that when the Indy got switched out, they kept the Aruba and Curacao stops.  They removed Labadee and replaced it with Falmouth, Jamaica.  About 3 weeks ago, they removed Falmouth and replaced it with a Perfect Day at Coco Cay.

Thank you. That is exactly what I wanted to know. I don't regret changing to the Symphony. The bonus is the younger of the two girls will be eighteen by then, so she will have the same kinds of access that her cousin will have. I haven't been on the Symphony yet, so that will be a first for me ... and I will be on the Odyssey in February with a friend, so I'll still get to experience that as well.

I hope everything goes well for you and you have a wonderful cruise later this month.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

Be sure and watch Chris Wong's tour of Odyssey if you haven't already, that's what caused us to book her for next year's Christmas cruise!

I am trying not to watch because I want to be surprised when I get to see it myself.  With how much keeps changing, until I am actually on the ship, I will not believe it is going to happen.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, emeraldcity said:

Thank you. That is exactly what I wanted to know. I don't regret changing to the Symphony. The bonus is the younger of the two girls will be eighteen by then, so she will have the same kinds of access that her cousin will have. I haven't been on the Symphony yet, so that will be a first for me ... and I will be on the Odyssey in February with a friend, so I'll still get to experience that as well.

I hope everything goes well for you and you have a wonderful cruise later this month.

We are booked on the Odyssey for March 2022, hopefully our 2nd time on the ship if all goes well.