UK Tour Shore Visit Restrictions

MP44

Hi All,

Just had an email from Celebrity saying they are limiting visits ashore for our UK cruise to their own excursions only!  That is not acceptable for us as we were meeting friends and had our own plans ashore - so disappointing and based on the current lack of restrictions generally in England and Scotland, totally unjustifiable from my point of view.  Looking like we will cancel.

Any views?

4 hours ago, BigAl94 said:

That's been how it has been on all UK Staycation cruises since they started. Hard to believe you missed that.

Agree. Most of the U.K. forums have been discussing this.

Celebrity will give you your money back so just cancel and drive to visit your friends instead.

Edited by swjumbo

Likewise I’m very surprised you weren’t aware of that at the time you booked. It has been that way since these cruises went on sale several months ago and is clearly sated on the website.

I’m sorry you feel the need to cancel, but under the current Cruise With Confidence policy you can cancel and get a refund if you wish (ordinarily after final payment you would not get a full refund).

• Like 1

At least you're getting a cruise.  Our 2 lovely cruises on Silhouette Aug 26, Norwegian Fjords and the B2B Sept 4 to Iceland got cancelled long ago to use the ship for cruises around the UK for UK people only.  Enjoy.

• Like 1

Also had my email. For me not unexpected although I was hoping we would be able to get off independently. It’s a shame there’s not a wider choice of excursions though as for example the only excursion to Glasgow when we dock in Greenock is a private journey costing nearly £1200! I’ll just have to find a weekend to visit Glasgow by train instead. 

Good job the cruise is only 7 nights otherwise I think I would be desperate to get off after much longer than this. But at least we do dock unlike other cruise companies that just do sail pasts and loops round the Irish Sea!

14 hours ago, MP44 said:

Hi All,

Just had an email from Celebrity saying they are limiting visits ashore for our UK cruise to their own excursions only!  That is not acceptable for us as we were meeting friends and had our own plans ashore - so disappointing and based on the current lack of restrictions generally in England and Scotland, totally unjustifiable from my point of view.  Looking like we will cancel.

Any views?

In your position I'd also cancel. Being herded around like sheep really does not appeal one bit! Hopefully this will change soon. I can't help thinking the cruise lines will be enjoying the increased revenue though. 

I was in Liverpool yesterday and saw Silhouette docked.

It seemed ridiculous people from the ship on ship organised walking tours of Liverpool walking amongst thousands around the Pier Head and Royal Albert Dock,,,no distancing whatsoever,,,,the tour guide desperately trying to keep the group together.

4A418A27-1FD6-4043-B7B5-A6BD6CF0B1F1.jpeg

17 hours ago, MP44 said:

Hi All,

Any views?

justifiable as they want to reduce the chance of passengers catching covid and spreading on ship

30 minutes ago, gold1953 said:

justifiable as they want to reduce the chance of passengers catching covid and spreading on ship

In theory I'd agree with you. However the post immediately before yours shows what will happen in the real world. 

3 minutes ago, Moby Jones said:

In theory I'd agree with you. However the post immediately before yours shows what will happen in the real world. 

looks like they need matching bright vests and a rope for them all to hold..like preschoolers. At least they are outdoors where transmission is low!

We did the walking tour in Liverpool, it was very good. They are minimising contact to avoid virus transmission. The members of the tour group knew the restrictions and everyone observed the requirements. It is what it is 🤷‍♀️.

• Like 2

On 8/5/2021 at 12:44 AM, TeaBag said:

At least you're getting a cruise.  Our 2 lovely cruises on Silhouette Aug 26, Norwegian Fjords and the B2B Sept 4 to Iceland got cancelled long ago to use the ship for cruises around the UK for UK people only.  Enjoy.

Gutted for you. We were supposed to go transatlantic via Iceland and Greenland next week. 
Also missed inaugural Apex and another I’ve forgotten about.

We’re just happy to be going and if anyone complains on board we’ll just ignore them as we do realise how lucky we are. 
We’ll raise a glass to you when we leave. X

• Like 1

Just got off Silhouette this morning having had an amazing cruise.

We did an excursion in Liverpool. It was excellent. The coach was almost brand new, fully air conditioned and had a toilet. Not once did anyone feel cramped or unsafe as we all kept our masks on and seats were nicely spaced out.

The Tour guide was excellent too. Well worth the money.

For those that moan about not being able to do their own thing, please remember the cruises lines are being ultra cautious both for us passengers and the crew and I for one am glad they are.

3 minutes ago, Esprit said:

Just got off Silhouette this morning having had an amazing cruise.

We did an excursion in Liverpool. It was excellent. The coach was almost brand new, fully air conditioned and had a toilet. Not once did anyone feel cramped or unsafe as we all kept our masks on and seats were nicely spaced out.

The Tour guide was excellent too. Well worth the money.

For those that moan about not being able to do their own thing, please remember the cruises lines are being ultra cautious both for us passengers and the crew and I for one am glad they are.

Any chance of a review 😉