Anyone onboard?

johnnylikely

5 hours ago, johnnylikely said:

I think the first sailings start today?

If people can share their experiences- boarding, onboard etc

would love to hear it!!!

I'm onboard at the end of the month woo x

It sounds like its chaos down there which huge queues with 100s waiting.

Sounds like its not been well thought through.

scarlet.thumb.jpg.432045b0c3b2388bb9d44e0db3ed0c5b.jpg

5F5EC5BD-B4DA-4C61-991E-DFE7A5192FD0.thumb.jpeg.22ca6e96b68e7f2af74e3c7f23a07de4.jpeg

I just got on board! And I’m afraid to say @les37bis right - the pre-boarding check-in/testing procedure is … an ordeal. 

It took me over 2.5 hours from arriving at the W4 testing centre (approx 1.15pm) to boarding the ship (4pm). And by the time I left W4 the queue was probably twice as long as when I arrived, snaking back up the access road (as you can see in @les37b’s picture).

I actually walked from Portsmouth Harbour (!) but for those who drove it would have been even longer as there was a long line of traffic waiting to get in the car park before joining the main queue.

The process itself is simple enough and not disorganised - it’s just very, very slow. It reminded me of Disney World - you queue up, queue again, then just when you think you’ve made it there’s another holding area and another queue. I suspect the issue is not enough Covid testing stations.

Anyway - here now, off to explore! Happy to answer any questions.

Edited by gumshoe958

They've only had an extra year and a half to prepare for this... The entire cruise line seems to be a comedy of errors so far. I only hope that my long awaited for, and cancelled seven times cruise ends up actually happening in October...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, gumshoe958 said:

5F5EC5BD-B4DA-4C61-991E-DFE7A5192FD0.thumb.jpeg.22ca6e96b68e7f2af74e3c7f23a07de4.jpeg

I just got on board! And I’m afraid to say @les37bis right - the pre-boarding check-in/testing procedure is … an ordeal. 

It took me over 2.5 hours from arriving at the W4 testing centre (approx 1.15pm) to boarding the ship (4pm). And by the time I left W4 the queue was probably twice as long as when I arrived, snaking back up the access road (as you can see in @les37b’s picture).

I actually walked from Portsmouth Harbour (!) but for those who drove it would have been even longer as there was a long line of traffic waiting to get in the car park before joining the main queue.

The process itself is simple enough and not disorganised - it’s just very, very slow. It reminded me of Disney World - you queue up, queue again, then just when you think you’ve made it there’s another holding area and another queue. I suspect the issue is not enough Covid testing stations.

Anyway - here now, off to explore! Happy to answer any questions.

OMG Wow thanks for the update. Is it nose swab only?

Do you have any advice- I'm going there in a couple of weeks! Do you have the approx timings of each stage.

Enjoy! Let us know how it all goes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;o)

13 minutes ago, sid_9169 said:

They've only had an extra year and a half to prepare for this... The entire cruise line seems to be a comedy of errors so far. I only hope that my long awaited for, and cancelled seven times cruise ends up actually happening in October...

VV has had years to prepare their cruising and app, since they are new. And they still can't get it right.. Nice of all the folks to be the guinea pigs..

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, johnnylikely said:

OMG Wow thanks for the update. Is it nose swab only?

Do you have any advice- I'm going there in a couple of weeks! Do you have the approx timings of each stage.

Enjoy! Let us know how it all goes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;o)

Yes, just a nose swab, and not one of the horrible brain-ticklers - simple and painless.

The vast majority of the wait is to get tested. Once that’s done it’s no more than 20 minutes or so to get your result (by email) and then back to your car/on to the bus to the port. 

Then a short queue to check in proper, then 10-15 mins in a holding room waiting for security (they send people through in batches), then finally a short bus ride to the ship.

Then a well-deserved drink and ice cream!

542A68BF-D2A9-4C2A-8209-B81EB6840AB5.thumb.jpeg.7b4b80dbf926585f0c10c9ff453b82d2.jpeg

6 minutes ago, gumshoe958 said:

Yes, just a nose swab, and not one of the horrible brain-ticklers - simple and painless.

The vast majority of the wait is to get tested. Once that’s done it’s no more than 20 minutes or so to get your result (by email) and then back to your car/on to the bus to the port. 

Then a short queue to check in proper, then 10-15 mins in a holding room waiting for security (they send people through in batches), then finally a short bus ride to the ship.

Then a well-deserved drink and ice cream!

542A68BF-D2A9-4C2A-8209-B81EB6840AB5.thumb.jpeg.7b4b80dbf926585f0c10c9ff453b82d2.jpeg

Oh wow, thanks for that. I think our boarding is 2pm, meaning we've been told to get there for midday? Do u think that's ok

1 minute ago, johnnylikely said:

Oh wow, thanks for that. I think our boarding is 2pm, meaning we've been told to get there for midday? Do u think that's ok

The boarding times are fairly academic tbh - the testing process takes as long as it takes.

I would certainly arrive earlier rather than later - no-one ever asked to see my check-in time but I arrived on foot so it’s possible they were checking car arrivals I suppose - don’t know.

On board it certainly feels very quiet - and the crew all seem very happy to see some passengers at last!

5 minutes ago, gumshoe958 said:

The boarding times are fairly academic tbh - the testing process takes as long as it takes.

I would certainly arrive earlier rather than later - no-one ever asked to see my check-in time but I arrived on foot so it’s possible they were checking car arrivals I suppose - don’t know.

On board it certainly feels very quiet - and the crew all seem very happy to see some passengers at last!

Wow, thanks! Let us know how queuing for meals and food, hopefully it's not as chaotic as boarding, or as Iona haha

Any hints or tips let us know!

18 minutes ago, gumshoe958 said:

No matter how you plan on getting there, Sailors must arrive at the testing site no more than one (1) hour prior to your selected boarding time (selected in the app in Ready-to-Sail). For example, if your embarkation time is 11 am, please make sure to arrive at the testing site no earlier than 10 am. Early arrival at the testing site will not result in an earlier embarkation; so please adhere to your selected embarkation time.

My time is 2.15pm - when would you recommend arriving?

I hope they find a better solution by the 20th

dont think I could go 3hrs queuing and drinking water without needing a pee 😂🙈

also what if it’s chucking it down 😳

here’s hoping it gets better for everyone on future dates.

Hope everyone on board is now having a well deserved drink and chill 😊

16 minutes ago, johnnylikely said:

No matter how you plan on getting there, Sailors must arrive at the testing site no more than one (1) hour prior to your selected boarding time (selected in the app in Ready-to-Sail). For example, if your embarkation time is 11 am, please make sure to arrive at the testing site no earlier than 10 am. Early arrival at the testing site will not result in an earlier embarkation; so please adhere to your selected embarkation time.

My time is 2.15pm - when would you recommend arriving?

Maybe between 12 & 1? With the caveat that I don’t know if they were stopping cars that turned up early, as I arrived on foot.

14 minutes ago, LeLe_Is_Me said:

I hope they find a better solution by the 20th

dont think I could go 3hrs queuing and drinking water without needing a pee 😂🙈

also what if it’s chucking it down 😳

here’s hoping it gets better for everyone on future dates.

Hope everyone on board is now having a well deserved drink and chill 😊

There are toilets! But if it’s raining and the queue’s long, tough. Only the last bit is undercover.

3 minutes ago, gumshoe958 said:

Maybe between 12 & 1? With the caveat that I don’t know if they were stopping cars that turned up early, as I arrived on foot.

I'll be arriving on foot too - when u say foot as in taxi to the venue? or you walked from portsmouth town to the testing site?

31 minutes ago, johnnylikely said:

Wow, thanks! Let us know how queuing for meals and food, hopefully it's not as chaotic as boarding, or as Iona haha

Any hints or tips let us know!

It’s certainly unlike any cruise ship I’ve been on before, in that at 6pm on embarkation day it still feels very, very quiet. No queues for anything. I fear a lot of people are still not on board due to the horrendous waits for testing.

As you can see, I think I’ll just about find a table in the Galley (which is basically a buffet, no matter how hard VV try to insist they’re too cool for buffets!)

022D4DD2-965C-40D0-9CD8-DEEB10EA29F1.thumb.jpeg.c9754145c8fe8ffd9638ce18d34af0ef.jpeg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, johnnylikely said:

I'll be arriving on foot too - when u say foot as in taxi to the venue? or you walked from portsmouth town to the testing site?

As in all the way from Portsmouth Harbour.

But that’s just me - I’m a walking nut.

If getting a cab and the traffic’s queueing to get in the testing centre, I’d ask the driver to drop you off on the roundabout just off the motorway then walk - no more than 5 mins.

1 minute ago, gumshoe958 said:

As in all the way from Portsmouth Harbour.

But that’s just me - I’m a walking nut.

If getting a cab and the traffic’s queueing to get in the testing centre, I’d ask the driver to drop you off on the roundabout just off the motorway then walk - no more than 5 mins.

Great! Thanks for the tips will factor in!

Any tips for people arriving by car please (we sail Monday) - Park car first and walk to test centre or go straight to test centre in car as advised??

No idea how long walk between parking and test centre are ...... and if its raining 😡