Pre Cruise Testing and "False Positives"

K_e_short

2 hours ago, dltvermont said:

Actually you have it backwards. The Antigen has more false negatives.

"What about accuracy? False negative results tend to occur more often with antigen tests than with molecular tests. This is why antigen tests are not favored by the FDA as a single test for active infection. Because antigen testing is quicker, less expensive, and requires less complex technology to perform than molecular testing, some experts recommend repeated antigen testing as a reasonable strategy. As with the molecular test, the false positive rate of antigen testing should be close to zero."

false.  

• Like 1

On 8/7/2021 at 4:23 PM, beloum said:

Why can't Carnival test everyone at the port?    On my MSC cruise last week, everyone was tested at embarkation at the expense of MSC.  Sure it slowed things down, but was a lot less stressful then having to scramble to find one while travelling.  

Speaking only for myself, I am not getting on a plane, flying across the country, only to find out I'm positive and then have the additional expense of a hotel room while I quarantine.  Lose the credit/voucher I could get for the flight.... no way.  I'll test at home 3 days before the cruise at my own expense.  

• Like 6

On 8/11/2021 at 12:05 PM, LadyMac72 said:

Speaking only for myself, I am not getting on a plane, flying across the country, only to find out I'm positive and then have the additional expense of a hotel room while I quarantine.  Lose the credit/voucher I could get for the flight.... no way.  I'll test at home 3 days before the cruise at my own expense.  

AGREE!!!!!!!!!!!

and that is why I switched from NCL. They are only doing tests at the port for Encore in Seattle.

I will do RCI Ovation and get my own test.   

• Like 1

On 8/7/2021 at 10:57 AM, alyssamma said:

I thought they were good at giving false *negatives*...everything I've read shows about a 0.4% chance of false positive.

Sorry, to be clear, I'm saying I agree with the OP...if you test positive, it most likely isn't a false positive...you have Covid. It's much more likely, tho, that you have covid and test negative...which is, unfortunately, bad 😞

My DH had Covid July 2020.It took 6 days post first symptom to get a test.We both tested Negative,but he had positive antibodies 6 weeks latter.

• Like 1

On 8/7/2021 at 3:35 PM, BohJang said:

Thank you for your common sense reply.  I don't need to lose money and time and be anymore frustrated than I already am.  That is why I'm cancelling my November cruise.

I get you.  I gotta say though, I am so tired of canceling cruises.  I hope this is behind us soon. 

On 8/7/2021 at 8:30 AM, K_e_short said:

I have been reading most of the comments and questions regarding the changes Carnival made regarding pre cruise testing.

I keep reading so many people saying "false positives".

Has anyone thought that perhaps if they test positive they actually have Covid?

That is why testing is required before you cruise now. To prevent people who have Covid from getting on a cruise ship.

You can have Covid with no symptoms at all, children especially.

I completely agree the frustration on changes, added costs, stress, etc. I get it. My December cruise is up in the air until they make a decision about December.

Perhaps realizing that testing positive means you have Covid and getting on a cruise ship and infecting others (vaccinated or unvaccinated) is very selfish.

(Oh and I'm not interested in hearing the stats on false positives. Get a second test if you want. Just bringing up an important point).

My frustration is that getting the a negative test doesn't mean you are getting on the ship Covid free. Example: Have a close contact on Monday or Tuesday (unaware of the close contact), test on Wednesday, you are negative, get on the ship on Saturday shedding Covid virus everywhere you go. Testing hasn't solved anything. If testing and mask wearing solved everything, we wouldn't have had a lockdown.

• Like 2

On 8/7/2021 at 9:48 AM, newpherchris said:

yesterday we picked up a BinaxNOW home antigen test from Sam's Club; the instructions agree with this - false positives are unlikely, but false negatives are possible. (We're hoping to go on the Magic on August 21st and wanted to see if we have anything to worry about now - we both came up Negative, so we plan to be super-duper careful between now and our scheduled CVS Antigen tests on the 18th.)

Can you use these to satisfy ship requirements?

22 hours ago, roboref said:

My frustration is that getting the a negative test doesn't mean you are getting on the ship Covid free. Example: Have a close contact on Monday or Tuesday (unaware of the close contact), test on Wednesday, you are negative, get on the ship on Saturday shedding Covid virus everywhere you go. Testing hasn't solved anything. If testing and mask wearing solved everything, we wouldn't have had a lockdown.

Totally agree.

I"m in Ontario Canada and our medical officer of health has now said 'living with Covid", and all our procedures and rules are based on not eliminating Covid, but reducing the chance of hospitalization and death.

• Like 1