How does it work when airlines get so backed up.

dolittle

I don’t find a lot of value in Southwest.  In my area, almost every flight involves flying through BWI and I can typically get a Delta flight that gives me better flight times and reserved seating for about the same cost or less (with the exception of cheap 1 way tickets to BWI🙂).  I practically never fly with 2 pieces of luggage (even when planning to be gone for 3 or 4 weeks), so I simply pay the fee for a Delta credit card which gives me a free checked bag per person.

I know that in some regions this is not the case, but I advise all my friends not to just book Southwest believing the hype that they are cheapest. Look at all their options and make the best choice for their situation.

20 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

I would say Southwest is a low cost carrier when you look at reserved seating, first class service, etc.  This is from a reduced service perspective.   However in some cases Southwest is just as expensive as Delta in terms of price.

Fair enough.  But they provide some service options such as bags that are available for free on legacy carriers to many customers.  Change fees are something else where they do well - at least historically - relative to the legacy carriers.

I believe many of you are confused on the meaning of "Low-cost carrier".

It doesn't refer to the cost of the tickets to the public.  Instead, it's a reference to the decision of the airline to have low to very low operating costs, thus allowing for lower priced tickets while still maintaining a reasonable margin.  And accepting the reduction in non-price value to the customer.

It's the removal of extraneous cost items that distinguishes a LCC.  Or their relative, the ULCC (Ultra Low Cost Carrier).  Examples include having non-reclining seats (cheaper initial cost and reduced maintenance), no complimentary beverages or snacks, fees for airport check-in and the like.  Reduced ground staff, minimal customer support staff, reduced seat pitch, lack of gaspers, lack of interline agreements - all are cost conscious decisions of a carrier.

So, one might say that if the primary focus of the airline is to significantly reduce its own costs towards the bone, with other considerations far down in priority, you have a LCC.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

It doesn't refer to the cost of the tickets to the public.  Instead, it's a reference to the decision of the airline to have low to very low operating costs, thus allowing for lower priced tickets while still maintaining a reasonable margin.  And accepting the reduction in non-price value to the customer.

Thank you for your explanation.  I continue to learn.