Jeans in Dining Room for Dinner?

jdlg4silb

2 hours ago, KBs mum said:

You are saying that clothing is difficult to get in Europe? Not noticed any problems in all the decades I have lived here

If it’s like the US, there are stores you know to go to for plus sized clothing.  In my experience, they are not where tourists tend to be, nor are they particularly well known.  
In the US, probably the best place to get quick, plus sized clothing in an emergency is a big box store like Walmart, Target and the ilk.  There are none of these in tourist areas in Europe.  None of the boutique stores that I have ever wandered into in Europe have ever contained any clothes greater than about a US 12-14.  
Please, tell me where plus sized women get clothing in Europe.  I’ll take note of it to look there if I ever lose my luggage.  At least, if I have a name of a store, I can tell a taxi driver where to take me.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Mich3554 said:

If it’s like the US, there are stores you know to go to for plus sized clothing.  In my experience, they are not where tourists tend to be, nor are they particularly well known.  
In the US, probably the best place to get quick, plus sized clothing in an emergency is a big box store like Walmart, Target and the ilk.  There are none of these in tourist areas in Europe.  None of the boutique stores that I have ever wandered into in Europe have ever contained any clothes greater than about a US 12-14.  
Please, tell me where plus sized women get clothing in Europe.  I’ll take note of it to look there if I ever lose my luggage.  At least, if I have a name of a store, I can tell a taxi driver where to take me.

In UK - Marks & Spencer, in Spain - El Corte Ingles (Portugal may also have some of these stores). I’m only aware as I’ve seen these plus sizes in those stores when looking for gifts for my mother, but have to concede that I’ve not been actively looking elsewhere.

11 hours ago, Mich3554 said:

Any tourist shop for t shirts, any non boutique clothing store. Most department stores. 

Or ask a local where the nearest place is

3 hours ago, KBs mum said:

Any tourist shop for t shirts, any non boutique clothing store. Most department stores. 

Or ask a local where the nearest place is

I have looked in department stores, they go up to a certain size and stop and are not near sufficient.  I asked you specifically for stores that sell plus sized clothing.  I am talking 1x-4x or US sizes up to 26-28.  
If you can’t tell me, then I’m going to assume that you simply do not know….which is my point.  If YOU live there and can’t point me in the direction to find plus sized clothing, how is a tourist who is someplace new for a few hours supposed to know?  

Oh, and BTW tourist shops do not carry plus sized clothing.  Even t shirts can be difficult, but that doesn’t take into account needing something on the bottom…..which apparently offends you as well.

Since I moved into this range of sizes, it has changed how I must shop at home.  So when people say ‘just go shopping and get something that fits’, it’s not as easy as you seem to think for us.  Because of this, I take carry on luggage 95% of the time.  If I do not carry on, I have a full set of spare clothes in my personal item.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hobson1754 said:

In UK - Marks & Spencer, in Spain - El Corte Ingles (Portugal may also have some of these stores). I’m only aware as I’ve seen these plus sizes in those stores when looking for gifts for my mother, but have to concede that I’ve not been actively looking elsewhere.

Thank you.  When our luggage went AWOL before a TA in Lisbon, I went looking and knew I’d have had issues as I couldn’t find anything where I looked.  Luckily, we had 4 days in Lisbon and our suitcases showed up after 2 days.  Since DH and I were both looking (unsuccessfully), we breathed a huge sigh of relief when the luggage showed up.  

If I believe the results from the filters provided at this site then this thread has one of the top engagements (posts + views) of any thread begun within the past year. 

People on this site like to talk about clothes.

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Mich3554 said:

Thank you.  When our luggage went AWOL before a TA in Lisbon, I went looking and knew I’d have had issues as I couldn’t find anything where I looked.  Luckily, we had 4 days in Lisbon and our suitcases showed up after 2 days.  Since DH and I were both looking (unsuccessfully), we breathed a huge sigh of relief when the luggage showed up.  

Sorry - just seen your previous post - M&S may only go up to UK 22/24 & I can’t speak for El Corte. I was looking for UK 18 for my mother.

I can sympathize with the problem of finding clothes that fit when under time pressure and in an unfamiliar place. My sizing is fairly normal but I’m short, so if tops or dresses are waisted they’re no use to me at all - the waistline sits on my hips. And if clothes are a normal length on most people they are too long on me. Not a good look and I don’t feel comfortable. I once lost my luggage on the way to an important United Nations meeting in northern Norway in December and had to attend the (very formal) meeting in my blue jeans, woolly jumper and snow boots the next day. None of the other smartly dressed participants seemed to be bothered by my appearance, thank goodness.

I shall now be a bit mischievous and bring in a different or perhaps further perspective - threads on dress code can be found all over cruise critic, but on equivalent German language cruise chat platforms this issue has fairly low priority. It does seem to be an Anglo-American „obsession“ (no offense meant), or perhaps a matter of feeling insecure. And I say that as someone born and bred in Liverpool, UK, so I know how important getting dressed up is for most fellow Brits.

Thankfully, the only recommendation that the German cruise company, which we often sail with, makes is that male passengers are requested to wear long trousers to restaurants in the evening. Most people do change before dinner but nobody seems to get hot and bothered by the issue. Of course, there’s no accounting for taste…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Hobson1754 said:

Sorry - just seen your previous post - M&S may only go up to UK 22/24 & I can’t speak for El Corte. I was looking for UK 18 for my mother.

A UK 18 is about a US 16.  This is right at the cusp of plus sized clothing.  But thanks for your suggestions, as it’s a place to start if I’m ever in this situation again.

My point in all of this is that when you see someone dressed in something that doesn’t look right, don’t assume that there is much of a choice in the matter and have a bit of compassion about their situation.  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Mich3554 said:

I have looked in department stores, they go up to a certain size and stop and are not near sufficient.  I asked you specifically for stores that sell plus sized clothing.  I am talking 1x-4x or US sizes up to 26-28.  
If you can’t tell me, then I’m going to assume that you simply do not know….which is my point.  If YOU live there and can’t point me in the direction to find plus sized clothing, how is a tourist who is someplace new for a few hours supposed to know?  

Oh, and BTW tourist shops do not carry plus sized clothing.  Even t shirts can be difficult, but that doesn’t take into account needing something on the bottom…..which apparently offends you as well.

Since I moved into this range of sizes, it has changed how I must shop at home.  So when people say ‘just go shopping and get something that fits’, it’s not as easy as you seem to think for us.  Because of this, I take carry on luggage 95% of the time.  If I do not carry on, I have a full set of spare clothes in my personal item.  

I don't know the name and location of every clothing store in every town in Europe. Hence it's easiest to ask a local, who will know where the nearest likely place is. 

I do know the type of place to look for, where I have bought plus size clothes. I've never had a major problem, including in Washington DC when BA left everyone's bags in London. Housekeeping lady in hotel gave us directions. 

Mens shirts and shorts, often trousers are widely available in what would be a female plus size, and are OK as emergency replacements. Getting your preferred style already properly tailored for individual waist and bust measurements will be a challenge if time limited, hence looser men's items as being quicker and cheaper 

24 is about a European XXL or XXXL, not unusually large. 

16 minutes ago, Mich3554 said:

A UK 18 is about a US 16.  This is right at the cusp of plus sized clothing.  But thanks for your suggestions, as it’s a place to start if I’m ever in this situation again.

My point in all of this is that when you see someone dressed in something that doesn’t look right, don’t assume that there is much of a choice in the matter and have a bit of compassion about their situation.  

Compassion isn't unidirectional. Giving compassion often precedes receiving it. Some posters may be geographically challenged and thus are unable to give specific recommendations for where to obtain plus sized clothing while shopping abroad. Or, there may be other explanations. We can all benefit from giving and receiving compassion.

While the Viking evening dress policy seems unnecessarily ambiguous (for men, trousers and jeans are not defined and "elegant casual" is an ever evolving (or devolving?) cultural phenomenon that is fluid), I don't concern myself with how other guests dress for dinner, etc. and defer to Viking staff to address inappropriately attired pax knowing there are often good reasons for allowing exceptions. I suspect Viking guests run the gamut of Gretchen Rubin's Four Tendencies (Upholders, Questioners, Obligers, & Rebels: https://gretchenrubin.com/four-tendencies/). I'm a questioner and I've never witnessed attire objectionable enough (to me) for which I would request to be re-seated or would leave and go to the World Cafe or order room service.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Berlin Bear said:

I can sympathize with the problem of finding clothes that fit when under time pressure and in an unfamiliar place. My sizing is fairly normal but I’m short, so if tops or dresses are waisted they’re no use to me at all - the waistline sits on my hips. And if clothes are a normal length on most people they are too long on me. Not a good look and I don’t feel comfortable. I once lost my luggage on the way to an important United Nations meeting in northern Norway in December and had to attend the (very formal) meeting in my blue jeans, woolly jumper and snow boots the next day. None of the other smartly dressed participants seemed to be bothered by my appearance, thank goodness.

I shall now be a bit mischievous and bring in a different or perhaps further perspective - threads on dress code can be found all over cruise critic, but on equivalent German language cruise chat platforms this issue has fairly low priority. It does seem to be an Anglo-American „obsession“ (no offense meant), or perhaps a matter of feeling insecure. And I say that as someone born and bred in Liverpool, UK, so I know how important getting dressed up is for most fellow Brits.

Thankfully, the only recommendation that the German cruise company, which we often sail with, makes is that male passengers are requested to wear long trousers to restaurants in the evening. Most people do change before dinner but nobody seems to get hot and bothered by the issue. Of course, there’s no accounting for taste…

It's more a case of following a dress code if there is one. 

The German line you mention has a dress code, which we would take as being smarter end of casual, no scruffy jeans or slogan t shirts. We would have no issues with complying with it. 

We considered a decent looking cruise line but decided against because we didn't want to bother with their jacket and tie requirement. 

Even if an outfit is technically incorrect, such as the problem you had in Norway, it can still be a 'smart and tidy' version of itself, not scruffy 

Your jeans, boots and jumper were no doubt reasonably presentable, and were also appropriate for the local weather, so you wouldn't have looked as though you didn't care about your appearance, fellow delegates, or the event. Showing up in a bathrobe or your gardening jeans would not have created a similarly good impression. 

All of this is a recent thing on Viking, five or six years ago smart casual was nearly standard even for excursions and on rivers, more so than the dress codes require

Edited by KBs mum
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, KBs mum said:

It's more a case of following a dress code if there is one. 

All of this is a recent thing on Viking, five or six years ago smart casual was nearly standard even for excursions and on rivers, more so than the dress codes require

Although Viking's dress code has remained virtually the same since our first sailing in 2017, I agree that adherence to it has devolved. There are numerous plausible explanations, including an apparent trend towards indifference in attire since the resumption of sailing after the shutdowns. I think the phenomenon is more acute with Viking since their aggressive fleet expansion policy entails marketing to a broader demography than when they had only a few ships sailing fewer itineraries with shorter seasons back in 2017. When Viking Ocean began I've read that a high percentage of their first time guests had previously sailed Viking River. I suspect this is still a large pool from which first time VO cruisers are targeted, but more new cruisers come from the mass market lines these days. And as @Berlin Bear wrote, "there’s no accounting for taste…"

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mich3554 said:

I’m in the US and wear a size26/28. Most of my clothes are from the Ulla Popken catalog which is based in Germany. I’m really looking forward to finding their store in Salzburg when I do a Christmas Markets tour in December.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Zippeedee said:

I’m in the US and wear a size26/28. Most of my clothes are from the Ulla Popken catalog which is based in Germany. I’m really looking forward to finding their store in Salzburg when I do a Christmas Markets tour in December.

I went looking for stores in other countries.  It looks like mostly Germany, Brussels and Netherlands.  Good to know, thanks.

• Like 1

I know from experience it was virtually impossible to find a bra, swimwear or underwear in the time available in two Spanish ports in my size - and that was after the cruise line asked the port agent for help. So it’s unfair to assert it’s easy and just ask

I pinned my hopes on Gibraltar M and S only to find they focus on sizes up to UK 18. Luckily for smarter tops I found a shop on the Main Street Jades Fashions - basic but helpful. Others may have more luck in M and S Gibraltar
I’ve never seen a T-shirt I’ve been prepared to wear in the evening in my size in a port store. But then port time is excursion time for me and I still wanted my planned excursions so wasn’t actively shopping. 

For me though, I focus on meeting the dress code myself, I carry one smart top and some little scarves in my carry on. Worst case the trousers I travel in may be seen a lot and yes they are coloured denim. 

However I do not care if those around me are meeting the requested dress code or not. My evening is impacted on by the quality of food and Service and the “behaviour and chat” of companions - nothing else

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

When I pack a bag that is to be checked, I never include any valuables. In carryon, I pack essentials plus a change of clothes. Lost luggage many times. Carry on clothes got us through.  On a 2 week Med cruise, our luggage was delayed. We were in Barcelona.Luggage was in NY. Promised on next flight. Unfortunately we were leaving on a cruise before bags were to arrive.  Cruise line gave us tee shirts and same day laundry free. Concierge kept contacting Delta. After a week, we got our bags. They had been opened. Some items were missing.  Now I travel light, pack old clothes, and wash frequently.  
There was one trip on a land tour when Lufthansa weighed our carryons. 8kg limit. My spouses carryon weighed too much. It got checked at no charge. Lufthansa lost our luggage. My spouse had nothing. Having read up on shopping before leaving home, I knew that the best shopping was in the train station. We were in Zurich. Took the train from airport to town. We then went shopping.  Got clothing quickly. My spouse is big.  Surprised at the range of sizes. Got our luggage two days later.

In May, we flew to Barcelona (should not go to Bcn)to take a cruise.  Our luggage arrived. Missing my spouse’s walker.  We were staying at hotel one night before embarkation.  Next day, we got a call from airline that walker arrived.  Airline delivered it to the ship.  Next trip,walker will not be checked.  the walker goes with us.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Redtravel said:

Our luggage arrived. Missing my spouse’s walker.  We were staying at hotel one night before embarkation.  Next day, we got a call from airline that walker arrived.  Airline delivered it to the ship.  Next trip,walker will not be checked.  the walker goes with us.  

Please forgive this off-topic post. My intention is to be helpful.

We learned about this walker from a fellow cruiser and bought one for our son. It works really well for him, and fits in the overhead compartment. It is also easy to get down narrow airplane aisles.

This one does not have the sort of comfortable seat that a traditional walker does, but it works for brief breaks. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085LV9GSH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It does come in a style without the "seat," as well. 

On 8/8/2024 at 5:15 PM, MamaFej said:

Please forgive this off-topic post. My intention is to be helpful.

We learned about this walker from a fellow cruiser and bought one for our son. It works really well for him, and fits in the overhead compartment. It is also easy to get down narrow airplane aisles.

This one does not have the sort of comfortable seat that a traditional walker does, but it works for brief breaks. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085LV9GSH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It does come in a style without the "seat," as well. 

Thanks.  We have a drive walker that folds easily to fit through doorways.  After the last experience, we plan to bring the walker with us. Giving it to the airline to check is not a good option.  

• Like 1

On 8/9/2024 at 5:35 PM, Redtravel said:

Thanks.  We have a drive walker that folds easily to fit through doorways.  After the last experience, we plan to bring the walker with us. Giving it to the airline to check is not a good option.  

Jeans ARE appropriate when perambulating with a walker.

17 minutes ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

Wait, the sun sets in the WEST??????
No wonder I’m such a lousy sailor!! 😉

I’m Scottish, what’s this sun you speak of 😳

• Like 1
  • Haha 6