Jeans in Dining Room for Dinner?

jdlg4silb

8 hours ago, Redtravel said:

It’s 2024. The no jeans in the restaurant was written many years ago. It might make more sense if Viking changed the dress code. The pandemic changed everything. Accept it. If you get upset that somebody that you don’t know wears jeans in the restaurant, relax and ask yourself if it really matters. The person wearing the jeans bought a cabin and is doing as they please. They aren’t telling you what to do. Maybe, you should dress as you want and not care what other guests choose to wear.  Relax and enjoy the cruise. 

The pandemic did not change everything, a lot of companies had to raise standards to survive. Those who didn't may be in some difficulty going forward. 

Either compete on quality or price, both together won't work

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, KBs mum said:

Being able to comply with a dress code, whatever it may be, is a basic social skill, showing respect to the hosts and fellow diners/travellers. 

Those lacking in that social skill are sometimes lacking elsewhere, pool lounger hogs, bathrobes in public etc

I agree 1000%.  Some would call us old fashioned--I would reply, no, we are well-mannered!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, KBs mum said:

Being able to comply with a dress code, whatever it may be, is a basic social skill, showing respect to the hosts and fellow diners/travellers. 

Those lacking in that social skill are sometimes lacking elsewhere, pool lounger hogs, bathrobes in public etc

Well stated IMHO, and quite succinctly.

I have been saying in my observations over 19 Viking cruises since 2018 . .

The social skills of passengers has dramatically changed, especially in the past couple years, and yes indeed, that is the area that will eventually make us leave this cruise line (and perhaps any cruise line).   I am so glad we got to experience Viking at its height and I'm definitely sad that people's social behavior and attitudes have changed, but it is just something we have to accept.  All we can do is vote with our pocketbook.

• Like 5

Central Coast Wine Lover summed it up.  What we truly notice with Viking is more often than other places or companies, there are fewer people demanding to be first and unwilling to wait.  I am at the stage of life in which I have no issue paying for a great product and if I don’t get seated first, or see a show or get an excursion that I want, no big deal.  The journey is enjoyable.  I’m not reserving a table at the known restaurant in the port, it is more enjoyable to discover an unexpected find.  If I don’t like it, there is tomorrow.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KBs mum said:

The pandemic did not change everything, a lot of companies had to raise standards to survive. Those who didn't may be in some difficulty going forward. 

Either compete on quality or price, both together won't work

Perhaps the UK wasn’t as brutally affected by Covid as the United States.  In the United States, there were so many deaths and Covid related affects that many businesses lost many workers. Long term Covid has become a real problem for many people.  Lots of young adults have developed serious diseases after covid.  In the USA, anyone who wants a job can find work. The shortage of workers is bad.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PasadenaDave said:

Central Coast Wine Lover summed it up.  What we truly notice with Viking is more often than other places or companies, there are fewer people demanding to be first and unwilling to wait.  I am at the stage of life in which I have no issue paying for a great product and if I don’t get seated first, or see a show or get an excursion that I want, no big deal.  The journey is enjoyable.  I’m not reserving a table at the known restaurant in the port, it is more enjoyable to discover an unexpected find.  If I don’t like it, there is tomorrow.

We seem to have a similar mindset to you and find the comment about people wanting to be first interesting.

We've only cruised with Viking for 6 years, but we've noticed and commented to each other about more people having to be first.  Clearly not something to ruin the trip but certainly a change we've noticed.  Rude behavior in the buffet line, first to get on an excursion bus, lining up for an excursion bus 15 minutes early, once on an excursion always wanting to be first through any door, etc.

We just wait to be last for most of these things.  But sometimes on excursions, he who is last shall be first when the organizer throws a curveball (changes the assumed entry point or procedure).  Then we just try not to get pushed to the side as the newly last in line folks rush to be first.

The only real impact it's had on us is that we now take even fewer Viking excursions and if going to the World Cafe we wait until closer to 7.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Breckski said:

We seem to have a similar mindset to you and find the comment about people wanting to be first interesting.

We've only cruised with Viking for 6 years, but we've noticed and commented to each other about more people having to be first.  Clearly not something to ruin the trip but certainly a change we've noticed.  Rude behavior in the buffet line, first to get on an excursion bus, lining up for an excursion bus 15 minutes early, once on an excursion always wanting to be first through any door, etc.

We just wait to be last for most of these things.  But sometimes on excursions, he who is last shall be first when the organizer throws a curveball (changes the assumed entry point or procedure).  Then we just try not to get pushed to the side as the newly last in line folks rush to be first.

The only real impact it's had on us is that we now take even fewer Viking excursions and if going to the World Cafe we wait until closer to 7.

I have traveled for years except during the pandemic.  Exception was April 2020 to May 2022.  Like many people we were very cautious and stuck close to home. We were on a cruise in March 020 that was denied docking in most ports. It was the worst cruise ever. Sailed in circles waiting to dock. Our first pandemic cruise was June 2022 on Celebrity Rt Bayonne,NJ. No plane needed.  Although cruise line advertised reduced capacity and social spacing, it never happened. The crowds were awful. My spouse got Covid. I didn’t.  I was applauded at how pushy and rude the passengers were most of the time.  After that, we laid low.  We did resume cruising in September 2022 on Windstar.  125 people and nobody got sick.  Then we decided to slowly travel again.  We are now back to traveling often.  This year, we have done 2 Viking and 2 Oceania cruises. We are doing b2b on Windstar.  No rude passengers. We did not return to Celebrity.

• Like 2

So, to sum up: as long as I don’t have my gravy with my jeans before entering the dining room, this should be acceptable. Thanks for all the input. 🫣

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Hanoj said:

So, to sum up: as long as I don’t have my gravy with my jeans before entering the dining room, this should be acceptable. Thanks for all the input. 🫣

You are right.