TSA Precheck Nassau

This may get moved to the Cruise Air board but I wanted to let Adventure cruisers know that TSA Precheck is now available at the Nassau Airport. This started a week ago and as of Saturday 08/07, there were no signs for it. Before getting in the long security line we asked about it and  were told it was available and pointed to a door with no line. The person announced anyone with Precheck to come. Hopefully they will have signage up soon. Probably saved us a half hour in the secueity line. Probably would have saved another half hour if we had Global Entry. Thinking about applying for that when our Precheck expires at the end of the year. It's only $15 more and might come in handy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, kpauley said:

This may get moved to the Cruise Air board but I wanted to let Adventure cruisers know that TSA Precheck is now available at the Nassau Airport. This started a week ago and as of Saturday 08/07, there were no signs for it. Before getting in the long security line we asked about it and  were told it was available and pointed to a door with no line. The person announced anyone with Precheck to come. Hopefully they will have signage up soon. Probably saved us a half hour in the secueity line. Probably would have saved another half hour if we had Global Entry. Thinking about applying for that when our Precheck expires at the end of the year. It's only $15 more and might come in handy. 

It's worth the extra if you fly international frequently.  If not, PreCheck works just fine.

8 hours ago, kpauley said:

I've heard about pre-clearing US Customs prior to leaving Nassau.  Is there Global Entry available when leaving Nassau?  Thanks in advance.

Edited by jjb415

8 hours ago, kpauley said:

Pre-Covid, global entry could be a giant PITA to sign up for. Appointments would be booked up for months, and were available at far fewer locations. 

That said, it’s soooo worth it

48 minutes ago, jjb415 said:

I've heard about pre-clearing US Customs prior to leaving Nassau.  Is there Global Entry available when leaving Nassau?  Thanks in advance.

Yes, Global Entry was available. 

45 minutes ago, zekekelso said:

Pre-Covid, global entry could be a giant PITA to sign up for. Appointments would be booked up for months, and were available at far fewer locations. 

That said, it’s soooo worth it

They now offer an interviews upon arrival program at many airports so when you go to clear immigration (including in Nassau) you can just show up and finalize your enrollment. I signed my kids up for GE, got conditionally approved in 48 hours, and the plan is to complete their enrollments at the end of this upcoming trip. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, billslowsky said:

It's worth the extra if you fly international frequently.  If not, PreCheck works just fine.

For $15 it's worth it even if you fly only once or twice in the 5 years. Especially if you go to a place that has US customs before you can board your flight. I go to Canada each year and my last two trips before covid were significantly delayed because customs had such long lines that we were missing a ton of people. The ones that got on were lucky there was room in the schedule, the ones that didn't probably wished they spent the money. Both times I went from entering the airport to free and clear in 10 minutes. Add in the times precheck saved my ass I'll never not pay the $20/year for it - and that's before you get to all time saved not standing in line, taking things off, or pulling things out of my bag. I only wish they would merge the Nexus program with GE.

On 8/9/2021 at 8:17 AM, billslowsky said:

For $3 per year over Pre-Check, why would you not get it??????

I would pay for Global Entry if I traveled internationally only once a year.

• Like 1

On 8/9/2021 at 4:21 PM, smplybcause said:

For $15 it's worth it even if you fly only once or twice in the 5 years. Especially if you go to a place that has US customs before you can board your flight. I go to Canada each year and my last two trips before covid were significantly delayed because customs had such long lines that we were missing a ton of people. The ones that got on were lucky there was room in the schedule, the ones that didn't probably wished they spent the money. Both times I went from entering the airport to free and clear in 10 minutes. Add in the times precheck saved my ass I'll never not pay the $20/year for it - and that's before you get to all time saved not standing in line, taking things off, or pulling things out of my bag. I only wish they would merge the Nexus program with GE.

I believe you do get Global Entry and TSA precheck with NEXUS. I applied for NEXUS in 2019, as I planned on doing a few cruises out of Vancouver and they do the interview at YVR via appointments. Took planning but was successful. Surprised they did a pop up NEXUS interview site at the LA Convention Center which would have saved me travel, but I was going to be out of town. Vancouver does not do walk-ins for your initial interview. I was a little confused at first as it seemed Global Entry was not granted with NEXUS but it is as I used it to return from Asia to California when the Sapphire Princess sailing was cut short in February 2020. NEXUS is less expensive than TSA precheck but interview sites are more limited. Research if NEXUS might be an option for you.

8 hours ago, wallyj said:

I believe you do get Global Entry and TSA precheck with NEXUS. I applied for NEXUS in 2019, as I planned on doing a few cruises out of Vancouver and they do the interview at YVR via appointments. Took planning but was successful. Surprised they did a pop up NEXUS interview site at the LA Convention Center which would have saved me travel, but I was going to be out of town. Vancouver does not do walk-ins for your initial interview. I was a little confused at first as it seemed Global Entry was not granted with NEXUS but it is as I used it to return from Asia to California when the Sapphire Princess sailing was cut short in February 2020. NEXUS is less expensive than TSA precheck but interview sites are more limited. Research if NEXUS might be an option for you.

I live in Florida so getting the interview for NEXUS is pretty much impossible. I'd either have to fly up there specifically for an interview or work my trip around an interview which neither are really worth it. I knew you got precheck with NEXUS but didn't realize you got GE since it's so much cheaper than GE. So that's interesting. 

On 8/9/2021 at 8:15 AM, kpauley said:

Does global entry do facial s an or finger print?

12 hours ago, bilyclub said:

The Chase Sapphire card reimburses you for  Global Entry if you charge it to their card.  I took an L ride to the Custom's House in the dead of winter and did the interview. The guy waiting with me was from Indy,

Capital One will also reimburse 

54 minutes ago, wesport said:

So in my first interview they took my photo and my fingerprints. Though the last time I used GE (May this year) I didn't have to scan my fingerprints like I have in the past. The kiosk does still take a photo. 

9 hours ago, wesport said:

It used to scan your passport, take your photo and match your fingerprints.

They switch to facial recognition.  But if that does not work, you will have to scan your passport and match fingerprints.

They still take your fingerprints as part of the "interview."