Live from Steerage. Onboard Mardi Gras now. Ask us anything.

KmomChicago

Costa Maya from the Serenity deck. There’s a lot of non opening glass on the decks of this ship. I have to wonder if the case of the little toddler girl who liked to bang on hockey rink glass and therefore “fell” out of a window on an RCI ship has permanently changed cruise ship design. 

Nothing is more important than safety and humanity shows us the need to poka yoke situations. The nice translation for poka yoke is “error proof” and the less nice one replaces error with a word for a stupid person that begins with the letter “I”.

09F1FD11-0CA2-4643-8EC1-97E478BA347D.jpeg

780798EC-DF47-46B8-AB18-25A8C305A6D7.jpeg

• Like 2

I’ve really been taking notice of the heat. It’s 8 am here in Costa Maya. I’ve been out on deck for 2 hours and it’s been comfortable this morning for the first time. Now keep in mind I overslept Sunday and Monday and by the time I ventured out of AC it was late morning. The sun has come up now and the temperatures as well. 

Before you chastise me for not having known this, we did know it would be uncomfortably hot. I’m just reminding others it’s not just hot, it’s basically heatstroke hot. You’ll sweat fast but it won’t much evaporate to cool you. Be careful and be sure your loved ones are too. 

I bought Bottomless Bubbles for the first time this cruise in an effort to encourage hydration.

We cruised to Mexico for spring break one year and while it was warm, it was the tail end of dry season and before the year’s bugs had gotten established so really pleasant. The humidity now is very high and the sun very bright. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A minor grumble if you’ll indulge me. I cracked the dickens out my foot on this bizarre and nearly invisible ledge overhang step in the Limelight lounge. Then I did it again only minutes later and DH did as well, but he had on decent shoes where I had tiny open flat sandals, basically barefoot tied down to a thin sole. See that wide line in the lower left? I didn’t either. That’s the spot. Blends in with the carpet. 

It’s not a solid step up. I guess there’s lightning under there so you can easily hook your daggone foot under it while trying to step up. I’m really not stupid, truly. At least no more so than average so I expect lots of issues with this and no I had not been drinking.

4F8D04A6-A715-4A28-86C7-8D6B6C20AAA0.jpeg

Edited by KmomChicago
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 5

18 minutes ago, KmomChicago said:

A minor grumble if you’ll indulge me. I cracked the dickens out my foot on this bizarre and nearly invisible ledge overhang step in the Limelight lounge. Then I did it again only minutes later and DH did as well, but he had on decent shoes where I had tiny open flat sandals, basically barefoot tied down to a thin sole. See that wide line in the lower left? I didn’t either. That’s the spot. Blends in with the carpet. 

It’s not a solid step up. I guess there’s lightning under there so you can easily hook your daggone foot under it while trying to step up. I’m really not stupid, truly. At least no more so than average so I expect lots of issues with this and no I had not been drinking.

Yikes!  That is really hard to see! Hope you two are recovering.  Foot injuries are the worst!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ninjacat123 said:

Yikes!  That is really hard to see! Hope you two are recovering.  Foot injuries are the worst!

Only hurt our pride after a few minutes had passed. No actual injury but when it happened it smarted enough I couldn’t be sure.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, TooManyWakeUpsTilWeSail said:

@KmomChicago

i wonder if Carnival gets their hideous carpet from the movie set of The Shining?

Funny there are a lot of vloggers and PR videos going on a about the gorgeous carpet. Just looks like any stain hiding busy Las Vegas patterns. But yes the blue and red could be a smeary “redrum” scene. Come play with us, Danny. For evah and evah.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, KmomChicago said:

Only hurt our pride after a few minutes had passed. No actual injury but when it happened it smarted enough I couldn’t be sure.

I'm sorry that happened to you. Another photo taken from another angle showing the area from the front would be helpful for us. We want to be on the lookout for it. Thanks for this fun and informational live that you're sharing with us 🙂 

Edited by sanmarcosman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I noticed in ParoDeeJay’s Chibang night video that when Jay showed the menu the “& more” section was a very scaled down version of the MDR menu. Instead of the daily changes it was the usual “Caesar salad, flat iron steak, and chocolate melting cake, etc.”

I imagine if they are directing people from the MDR to cucina and chibang the FULL MDR menu would also be available to order from? I know on lobster night they were serving it at all three locations so no one missed out according to John Heald. However, I never heard if you could get prime rib or bitter & blanc at cucina/chibang. 

We just don’t want to miss some of our favorite apps/desserts from the MDR by going to cucina/chibang. It seems like 7 days will not be enough time to try everything 😄

Hoping someone could put it in black and white for us how this actually works. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, sanmarcosman said:

I'm sorry that happened to you. Another photo taken from another angle showing the area from the front would be helpful for us. We want to be on the lookout for it. Thanks for this fun and informational live that you're sharing with us 🙂 

I’ll get a pic next time we pass through. So excited to pay it forward. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, POACruzer said:

I noticed in ParoDeeJay’s Chibang night video that when Jay showed the menu the “& more” section was a very scaled down version of the MDR menu. Instead of the daily changes it was the usual “Caesar salad, flat iron steak, and chocolate melting cake, etc.”

I imagine if they are directing people from the MDR to cucina and chibang the FULL MDR menu would also be available to order from? I know on lobster night they were serving it at all three locations so no one missed out according to John Heald. However, I never heard if you could get prime rib or bitter & blanc at cucina/chibang. 

We just don’t want to miss some of our favorite apps/desserts from the MDR by going to cucina/chibang. It seems like 7 days will not be enough time to try everything 😄

Hoping someone could put it in black and white for us how this actually works. 

I saw that video as well but word this week is that the night’s full menu is available and that Cucina and Chibang are de facto overflow restaurants for YTD/Flamingo DR. I will try to find out for sure. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

Deck 8 aft. From the central atrium you move through Pixels, then past all the Italian places including nummy Piazza Panini (Caprese was great!) and 24 hour pizza. . . then past the joke of a space for Guest Services (too small, often bottlenecked as it’s also a main thoroughfare) . . . then through the smokehouse and Heroes lounge and finally out to the pool. Plenty of chairs.

Looks like deck 8 may become my favorite deck!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, KmomChicago said:

I saw that video as well but word this week is that the night’s full menu is available and that Cucina and Chibang are de facto overflow restaurants for YTD/Flamingo DR. I will try to find out for sure. 

Thanks Kmom! 😀

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

@KmomChicago off topic kinda, are you posting your review using the CruiseCritic App or accessing the CC website through your phone?  I just tried to access the CC App that has been sitting on my phone forever and it told me it wasn't available anymore.  TIA!

It's gone again... The old one went away a couple of years ago, then it came back, and now gone again...

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

@KmomChicago off topic kinda, are you posting your review using the CruiseCritic App or accessing the CC website through your phone?  I just tried to access the CC App that has been sitting on my phone forever and it told me it wasn't available anymore.  TIA!

Website I believe. When I open an internet browser it’s a frequent site an I just click the icon.

19 minutes ago, mrak said:

Would you mind taking a screen shot or picture of the Watering Hole and Red Frog Tiki Bar Menus? Thanks in advance! 

I just so happen to be playing trivia here in the smokehouse about 40 feet from there so here you go!  Tiki later.39008EAC-3119-4BB0-97EE-1278B01B289C.thumb.png.0ec89929955f6e59e12b05e459cf292c.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

I ripped my big toe nail half off on a strange step the first afternoon  of the Vista TA. The metal edge just caught my nail as I brought my foot down and missed the step. DNA has a determined path and my nail grew out 6 months later but it was a mess that day. The staff were more concerned about their new carpet and I wanted to go to my cabin to get a band aid but NOOO i had to wait for a wheelchair and go down to the medical center. Meanwhile the longer I stood there the more of a puddle I made on the carpet. Honest i tried not to laugh.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Parched Pig Smokehouse bar.The pricing is here for the refillable containers. Big beer drinkers could save a fortune. 

I’m trying to do the pdf below but I don’t think it’s working.

68934541-0424-48D2-BCD1-CF704A9EA6E2.png

9CD3943A-A969-4ED6-9A59-9AA38071151E.png

7B0F5FCB-7C31-407F-A9BB-907A718F1F02.png

CEB54EE2-0EC3-4C11-85E3-81EE59041C09.png

8FD33F45-9569-4310-9DBD-D9F4482213A8.png

52F8C5BC-DA48-4B4C-ABC6-C27526A2001C.png

78D03697-0496-41FD-AAE5-342B19A307D1.png

A8111D57-8471-4C66-A3A0-F85CC9FF37B7.png

E0F07D21-4937-4C36-92AC-E9E165BD399F.jpeg

Edited by KmomChicago