Mandatory vaccines for cruises in Puerto Vallarta

ScottsSweetie

Just saw this dated August 9. Don't know how the negative test will work - we will be tested on Wednesday ahead of sailing on Saturday, and porting in Puerto Vallarta does not happen until day 5 of the cruise.

https://tribune.travel/amp/puerto-vallarta-riviera-nayarit/mandatory-vaccines-for-cruises-in-puerto-vallarta-governor/?fbclid=IwAR1EVOUFTBFkJVGlqoa184pfni524bVLm4zJmKVyXjniQGdae7_a46yVyzQ

1 minute ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

The article doesn't state how "fresh" the COVID test must be.  Perhaps as long as the passenger boards the ship with a valid negative test in accordance with the cruise line (i.e. within 3 days), that is acceptable?

That's what I'm hoping.

Carnival should just dump the 5% non-vaxxed people.  I bet it would make things far more seamless, as Puerto Vallarta wouldn't have to check vaxx documents or tests if they knew that everyone on the ship was vaccinated and had tested negative before boarding.  I don't know why these un-vaccinated people would even want to be on the ship.  Now they can't get off at one of three ports and they have other expenses and restrictions.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, ladychater said:

Carnival should just dump the 5% non-vaxxed people.  I bet it would make things far more seamless, as Puerto Vallarta wouldn't have to check vaxx documents or tests if they knew that everyone on the ship was vaccinated and had tested negative before boarding.  I don't know why these un-vaccinated people would even want to be on the ship.  Now they can't get off at one of three ports and they have other expenses and restrictions.

I agree.  With the delta variant going around, i don't know why Carnival won't have 100% vaccinated cruises in California or at least only allow people who are vaccinated or have had a previous covid infection.  Anyone who hasn't had covid and is unvaccinated is really at risk with this new variant.  I am very surprised it's not 100% vaccinated in California.  It's not like Florida, where they are trying to sail with a huge majority of families.

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

I agree.  With the delta variant going around, i don't know why Carnival won't have 100% vaccinated cruises in California or at least only allow people who are vaccinated or have had a previous covid infection.  Anyone who hasn't had covid and is unvaccinated is really at risk with this new variant.  I am very surprised it's not 100% vaccinated in California.  It's not like Florida, where they are trying to sail with a huge majority of families.

Why do you think there are not lots of families who live on the west coast?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The interesting thing to me is that so many people chafe at restrictions to board the ships. I suppose they never thought that the ports they were visiting would set their own requirements. Maybe they thought the tourist dollar would outweigh any desire for the destination ports to protect their own people or resources.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, ScottsSweetie said:

I am sure there are many families, but Florida has an attraction for the majority of the US because of the ports of call and other things to do there.   I think a 100% vaccinated cruise out of California makes sense because that's how the state rolls.  I think the people in California would like it and support it.  When people vacation in Florida, they are use to more freedom.  In California, I think a 100% vaccinated cruise would do well there.

I've cruised out of many ports and the ones out of Florida usually have a lot of kids.

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, BlerkOne said:

USVI (incl St Thomas and St Croix) are requiring cruises to 100% vaccinated - like NCL.

The issue in this article isn't that they are requiring vax - it's that they are also requiring a negative covid test. So I get my covid test on Sept. 1 - I sail on Sept. 4. We dock in PV on Sept. 7, making our negative tests 7 days old (and pretty useless). That's the difference here.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ScottsSweetie said:

It's the old adage that southern Californians are too selfish and self absorbed to have children 😉

As others said it better be that those who boarded with a negative test will be good to enter PV on day 5 of the cruise. We sail Panorama October 30th.

• Like 1

Just now, tallnthensome said:

I sail to Puerto Vallerta in a few weeks. I definitely will want to know if my pre-cruise test will suffice. I can't imagine how it would work any other way unless they test you when going ashore. We wouldn't bother getting off the ship. 

Yep. I just need to know whether or not to cancel my excursion if they will not accept our pre-cruise test.

• Like 3