HAL Covid Test Requirement Window is 3 days, not 72 hours

Coffeeluvr05

I have chatted and spoken with HAL reps and they have confirmed that their requirement is 3 days within sailing, not 72 hours for the covid testing requirements.  I have expressed my complete frustration with them and they told me their website was supposed to have been updated yesterday.  I kept the screen shot of my entire chat as proof to bring with me when I board just in case.  Just because I never fully believe someone giving me an answer like that, I followed up with a phone call and that is when it was explained that the policy had changed to 3 days and their website was supposed to have been changed.  There were many apologies, but that has not helped my sleepless nights.  Maybe now I can put my mind at ease.  Now I just hope for a negative result...hopefully before I fly out.

Here is my chat with my personal info redacted:

HAL Covid Convo 08102021.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for your post.    I am trying to figure out the best time for testing for me.    As a Canadian, I will have to be tested before I fly.   I don’t want to fly in on the day of departure and was planning on two days before (maybe overkill).   If I come too soon, I may have to get two tests unless I can time it right.   And I have no idea where to go for testing in Fort Lauderdale if I need it.   

17 minutes ago, Evilmuffin said:

Thank you for your post.    I am trying to figure out the best time for testing for me.    As a Canadian, I will have to be tested before I fly.   I don’t want to fly in on the day of departure and was planning on two days before (maybe overkill).   If I come too soon, I may have to get two tests unless I can time it right.   And I have no idea where to go for testing in Fort Lauderdale if I need it.   

I searched FLL for their options and it looks like they do have testing at the baggage claim level in terminal 3 https://www.broward.org/Airport/passengers/Flights/advisories/pages/default.aspx .  You can also check CovidClinic.org for locations nearby.  I hope that helps.

1 hour ago, Coffeeluvr05 said:

I have chatted and spoken with HAL reps and they have confirmed that their requirement is 3 days within sailing, not 72 hours for the covid testing requirements.  I have expressed my complete frustration with them and they told me their website was supposed to have been updated yesterday.  I kept the screen shot of my entire chat as proof to bring with me when I board just in case.  Just because I never fully believe someone giving me an answer like that, I followed up with a phone call and that is when it was explained that the policy had changed to 3 days and their website was supposed to have been changed.  There were many apologies, but that has not helped my sleepless nights.  Maybe now I can put my mind at ease.  Now I just hope for a negative result...hopefully before I fly out.

Here is my chat with my personal info redacted:

HAL Covid Convo 08102021.jpg

Below is the one reference to 3 days that I've found on HA web site.  In addition, be sure that the results have name and either birthdate, age or passport number on the results page.

"The negative COVID-19 test result must include:

• Where the test was administered, including information such as the name and contact information for the laboratory or healthcare personnel who performed the test  
  • Type of test (indicating it is a NAAT or antigen test)  
  • A specimen collection date 3 days or less before cruise departure  
  • Guest’s name and either date of birth, age, or passport number 

• A negative test result using words or phrases including:
    • Negative  
    • Undetectable  
    • SARS-CoV-2 RNA not detected  
    • SARS-CoV-2 antigen not detected  
    • COVID-19 not detected  
    • Not reactive  
    • Test results marked “invalid” are not accepted"

Thanks for sharing your info! It’s helpful to hear others’ experiences.

There’s also some pointers on this Thread and its follow up: 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2794760-72-hours-vs-3-days-testing-requirements/

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2794913-testing-time-clarification-hoping-info-i-just-got-is-happening/

Safe Travels!

Edited by syesmar

All this information is very helpful!  I have to smile at the now 3 day instead of 72 hours.  I am no math wiz, but 3x24=72.  I will still need to test on Wednesday for my Saturday embarkation .   The only place I found in my community (without driving 100 miles) is covidclinic .org.  They have an onsite lab and do a rapid antigen test in 30 minutes for $129.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, ann1bell said:

...The Hal website still says 72 hours and not 3 days. Do you have any idea when it will be updated?...

The FAQs at the bottom of this page reflect the update: https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/worry-free-promise/travel-well.html

I think the 72 hours was initially used because some places count days differently (e.g., is there a Day Zero, when is Day 1, when is Day 3, etc.), but then if strictly using hours get into “what if a test is off by a few hours”, etc. It’s a relief for many that whatever day the 72 hours before falls on, anytime that day is good.

I’m glad they’ve somewhat clarified things.

Edited by syesmar

29 minutes ago, ann1bell said:

Thanks, Coffee! The Hal website still says 72 hours and not 3 days. Do you have any idea when it will be updated? Good luck to all! 

I don't, but I informed them of all of the people on these discussion boards who are having one heck of a time dealing with the logistics of testing for those of us sailing on this upcoming weekend as we have had little notice.  I was told it should have been updated yesterday and she has had many calls.  I told her that there are so many more not calling and many who just can't navigate all of this.  Don't get me wrong, I am grateful I can afford such a nice vacation, but this one has been more stressful than any other I recall.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coffeeluvr05 said:

I searched FLL for their options and it looks like they do have testing at the baggage claim level in terminal 3 https://www.broward.org/Airport/passengers/Flights/advisories/pages/default.aspx .  You can also check CovidClinic.org for locations nearby.  I hope that helps.

Thank you so much.   I’m hoping I can get one here in Canada that will be good for both the flight and the cruise.   Cruise isn’t until December but better to start early.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Loreto said:

All this information is very helpful!  I have to smile at the now 3 day instead of 72 hours.  I am no math wiz, but 3x24=72.  I will still need to test on Wednesday for my Saturday embarkation .   The only place I found in my community (without driving 100 miles) is covidclinic .org.  They have an onsite lab and do a rapid antigen test in 30 minutes for $129.

Hi Loreto,

the difference on the three days is say testing anytime on the Wednesday for say Saturday embarkation.  Testing for example 7:00am Wednesday for 1:00pm embarkation on Saturday.  72 hour rule, no good, need another test,  three day rule good to go.  

• Like 3

Just cancelled our Koningsdam November 2021 Mexican Riviera cruise.  Now fully vaccinated passengers need a covid 19 negative test and who knows if you'd get the results in time.  Had been thinking about cancelling long ago when restrictions were being discussed such as wearing masks.  As much as we wanted to cruise again, just don't think it will be as enjoyable at this time.  We lost our future cruise credit from a cancelled cruise in March 2020.  Oh well.  Hopefully things will be back to normal for our 2023 cruise.  We're not getting any younger and our window for traveling is closing.

5 hours ago, Loreto said:

Example: If I get tested at 9am on Wed (at home before my flight), and don’t board the ship until 1pm on Sat, that’s 76 hours. Will I be denied boarding?

I hope HAL changes their website soon so the “3 days” is official. 🤞

Edit: I should have read further @Lido deck main had almost the same example. 😉

Edited by dobiemom
  • Like 2

This will by my scenario.  I fly out Wednesday, arrive in Port City Thursday and board the ship Saturday.  Even if I had the test on the day before flying out (I'd prefer two days before), I'd be outside the 3 day window.  Am I suppose to find a place in a foreign country with a different language (Italy) to have the test done??????

4 hours ago, Sue from Canada said:

This will by my scenario.  I fly out Wednesday, arrive in Port City Thursday and board the ship Saturday.  Even if I had the test on the day before flying out (I'd prefer two days before), I'd be outside the 3 day window.  Am I suppose to find a place in a foreign country with a different language (Italy) to have the test done??????

No.  Since you are departing from a European port, HAL will provided the test.  From HAL website:  "For guests embarking in Europe, we are conducting mandatory COVID-19 antigen testing at the pier pursuant to the EU Healthy Gateways Protocols. This test will be complimentary, and a negative result will satisfy our new testing requirements."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Sue from Canada said:

Sue what time do you fly out.  I just checked Pearson airport for testing they have rapid antigen, results back in 30 minutes.  They are open at 5:00am.  You can book an appointment.   Find out in the country you are going to will accept that test.  We are testing same day we fly out here in Vancouver we plan to arrive to airport 7 hours early to get testing and results before flight.  We are going to US they accept antigen.  Not an ideal situation to sit around airport for that length, but we don’t want to be in a position where we would have to get second test.  Good luck.

5 minutes ago, Lido deck main said:

Sue what time do you fly out.  I just checked Pearson airport for testing they have rapid antigen, results back in 30 minutes.  They are open at 5:00am.  You can book an appointment.   Find out in the country you are going to will accept that test.  We are testing same day we fly out here in Vancouver we plan to arrive to airport 7 hours early to get testing and results before flight.  We are going to US they accept antigen.  Not an ideal situation to sit around airport for that length, but we don’t want to be in a position where we would have to get second test.  Good luck.

Thank you for your info.   I am in the same “boat”, in Ottawa and flying to Fort Lauderdale to board.

20 hours ago, Evilmuffin said:

And I have no idea where to go for testing in Fort Lauderdale if I need it.   

Here's a helpful thread in the Florida Departures forum (moved from Celebrity).  A cruiser on Celebrity recently used Fast Test Now and recommended it.

56 minutes ago, dmcfad2 said:

Has anyone asked if our test results can be pulled up on our phone to show at check-in? Or must we have them printed out?

I hope printed form will be accepted as I don't have a smart phone (I know.....).  I have a flip phone that I use for emergencies only.

• Haha 1