Canada announces new rules for travel. Could impact cruises next year.

On 8/13/2021 at 2:57 PM, Babr said:

The mere mention of vaccine passport has some people running screaming down the street with their hair on fire, but I see it as an essential standardized, easily verifiable form of documentation for international travel. There is nothing wrong with that.

It's not so long ago travellers had to carry proof of vaccination for a variety of diseases if they wanted to enter some countries, remember those yellow booklets ?

• Like 2

On 8/13/2021 at 2:54 PM, JessyCruises said:

As someone who lives directly across the street from a Cruise terminal in Canada (Saint John, NB), I think I like this idea but would like to see the details (ie if there are exemptions available, etc).  I wonder if it will be like St Thomas where the ship is not even allowed to dock if there are unvaccinated passengers, or if unvaccinated passengers will not be let off the ship.

A fellow Saint Johner - you've got a great spot to watch the ships come in. I'm jealous.

I think a lot will depend on where the virus is next year. If there's another variant then you might be right - maybe they dont let a ship dock. OTOH, maybe the virus is on the way out, vaccinations are spreading word wide, lockdowns are a thing of the past - I could see loosening of rules then. Be nice if it would unfold that way but I'm not holding my breath.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, nbsjcruiser said:

A fellow Saint Johner - you've got a great spot to watch the ships come in. I'm jealous.

I think a lot will depend on where the virus is next year. If there's another variant then you might be right - maybe they dont let a ship dock. OTOH, maybe the virus is on the way out, vaccinations are spreading word wide, lockdowns are a thing of the past - I could see loosening of rules then. Be nice if it would unfold that way but I'm not holding my breath.

We have get to actually see a cruise ship outside - we just moved from the Quispamsis in September 2020.  Bad timing 😂

On 8/13/2021 at 4:48 PM, mek said:

I'm not sure what Canada's look like, but ours are simply a white heavy paper card.  No way when thousands are going through an entrance to an event is anyone going to question if they are legit or not.

It may be easier to spot them for travel, but until we have something like a vaccine passport, it will be difficult to control here in the US.

In Nova Scotia, we don't have an official paper document. Ours are emails and then you go to the CANImmunize website/app, enter your health card number and your doses appear there. We were advised to print out a copy for files and keep the digital info stored as well.

On 8/14/2021 at 4:43 PM, JessyCruises said:

@kmerlin14 @traceytd I see you are both in NB too.  Have either of you been tested recently?  Just wondering how quick the results are coming back here now.  Last time someone in our house got tested we got the test done the same day we signed up for it and the results were back next day.

We are in SJ and flying on Saturday 8/21 and sailing on Odyssey on Sunday 8/22.  We want to get tested Thursday so it will count for both things.  I am planning on logging in Wednesday and when they call to schedule will ask for it to be on Thursday and then hopefully will get the results Friday. 🤞

i was tested yesterday at 1250 pm and  got my results at 1030 pm same day

On 8/14/2021 at 5:11 PM, traceytd said:

Thankfully I have never had to get tested yet.

I am myself just starting to get information for my own cruise on November 20th. I have no clue where I will get my test. Hopefully, by then the protocols will have changed and I we won’t need to test pre cruise. ( but I doubt it)

Fingers crossed for all of us. 
😎😁

well, what are the chances, lol I had to get tested yesterday.. got the test at 1250 pm and got results on Myhealth at 1030 pm.

27 minutes ago, traceytd said:

i was tested yesterday at 1250 pm and  got my results at 1030 pm same day

Thank you that is exactly the information I am looking for.  When did you sign up for the test?  The first time my son did he did not get a call for 48 hrs but that was early on.  Last time he got a call same day and was scheduled that day too.  I am debating whether to submit the requests tonight or tomorrow morning.  I need the test done on Thursday and need the results for a 6AM flight on Saturday.

3 minutes ago, JessyCruises said:

Thank you that is exactly the information I am looking for.  When did you sign up for the test?  The first time my son did he did not get a call for 48 hrs but that was early on.  Last time he got a call same day and was scheduled that day too.  I am debating whether to submit the requests tonight or tomorrow morning.  I need the test done on Thursday and need the results for a 6AM flight on Saturday.

I filled out the form online around noon on the 15th and got a call that same day at 3 o’clock in the afternoon to book my appointment. The appointment was booked for the next day  which was at 1250 pm the 16th and then got the results at 10:30 pm on the 16th.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, traceytd said:

I filled out the form online around noon on the 15th and got a call that same day at 3 o’clock in the afternoon to book my appointment. The appointment was booked for the next day  which was at 1250 pm the 16th and then got the results at 10:30 pm on the 16th.

Perfect - thanks!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, deliver42 said:

I wish all countries, including the U.S. would mandate the vaccines. No vaccine, no travel. The only exceptions to be medical.

During a pandemic, medical exceptions should not get a pass for leisure/business travel.  They should only be allowed to travel for medical treatments that cannot be performed within their country of residence ... and quarantine should be required.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, nbsjcruiser said:

No evidence yet that it is on the way out. New Zealand announced a new lockdown today. Lockdowns may be needed elsewhere in U S, but some leaders are wary of depriving their citizens the opportunity to exercise personal responsibility. Expect continued spread in southern US which is the location of major home ports.

17 hours ago, Babr said:

No evidence yet that it is on the way out. New Zealand announced a new lockdown today. Lockdowns may be needed elsewhere in U S, but some leaders are wary of depriving their citizens the opportunity to exercise personal responsibility. Expect continued spread in southern US which is the location of major home ports.

Agreed. New Zealand is the other end of the spectrum of course - 1 case and they shut the entire country down. Gotta manage it, not run from it like our hair is on fire. At the other end is the South US where its "what? Me worry?".

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

After two years, the road is finally clear for cruise ships to call at and sail from Canadian ports. Transport Canada, Canada Border Services Agency, Public Health Agency of Canada, and port officials finally reached an agreement that opens up the country’s cruise industry with guidelines that largely mirror those implemented internationally.

The Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA) in Canada stated it welcomes the planned resumption of cruises. Earlier today, Holland America Line called the move a positive step in the right direction. The first cruise ship since 2019 is scheduled to call in Victoria, British Columbia, on April 6, 2022.

Canada Releases Health Guidelines For Cruises

Through Canadian Transport Minister Omar Alghabra, Transport Canada released the long-awaited new health and safety guidelines for cruise ships today, March 7. 

As expected, the measures introduced by Transport Canada essentially mirror those implemented in the United States by the CDC. However, there are some exceptions. Guests wanting to take a cruise that departs from a Canadian port, or one that has a Canadian port as a port of call included, will need to take a PCR test within 72 hours before they board.

An antigen test is also accepted; however, only if it was taken within one day of boarding. That means that the current standard that is in place in the US, 48-hours before boarding, is not valid for cruises that call in Canadian ports. 

All guests must be fully vaccinated before sailing, although some groups may be able to get an exemption if they comply with one of the following: 
  • Children under 12 (note, many cruise lines require vaccination for children five and up);
  • Proof of a Medical contraindication; or
  • Religious belief (only for those with a right of entry to Canada, including Canadians and those boarding in Canada).

Cruise ship operators will inspect proof of vaccination and monitor and report test results. No guest or crew will be allowed off a cruise ship unless they meet the requirements, which the Canada Border Services Agency will enforce.

Guests disembarking a cruise ship in Canada must take a COVID-19 PCR test within 72-hours before arriving in Canada or take an antigen test within one day of the scheduled arrival. 

CLIA said it would continue to engage with Transport Canada, the Public Health Agency of Canada, and regional agencies to review protocols as the situation evolves.

CLIA Reacts To Canadian Health Measures

CLIA in Canada reacted positively to the new Transport Canada health measures that make cruising possible again.

“With today’s announcement, cruise lines are preparing for a full schedule of sailings this year from April to November, with itineraries that will include ports and destinations on both Canadian coasts. Many months of work have led to this announcement by Transport Canada, and we are delighted to be coming back.”

“When cruise resumes in April, CLIA member cruise lines will be sailing with COVID-19 protocols that span the entirety of the cruise experience and provide some of the highest levels of prevention, detection, and mitigation compared to virtually any other tourism setting.”

The first cruise ship to sail to a Canadian port will be Caribbean Princess when she arrives in Victoria, BC, a popular cruise port on Vancouver Island. Her arrival kicks off a season of sailings to Alaska and the Canadian east coast, including no less than six ships from Holland America Line, which reacted to the news earlier today through President Gus Antorcha: 

“This is a positive step for everyone who loves to travel to these regions and for all of the businesses in Canada that we support through tourism.

The cruise industry is a vital artery for Canada’s economy. Before the pandemic, it supported approximately 30,000 Canadian jobs. It generated an estimated CA $4.3 billion in total economic benefits, including CA $1.9 billion in direct spending and CA $1.44 billion in wages and salaries each year.

Canada Confirms Cruise Restart and Details Protocols (cruisehive.com)

• Like 1