Canada announces new rules for travel. Could impact cruises next year.

Canada has just announced that they will be making vaccines mandatory for travellers by air, interprovincial trains and cruise ships.   So any travellers on a cruise that leaves from or stops in Canada will be required to be vaccinated.  

https://www.cp24.com/mobile/news/canada-mandating-covid-19-vaccination-for-all-federal-workers-airline-passengers-by-oct-2021-1.5546070

• Like 20
  • Thanks 3

As someone who lives directly across the street from a Cruise terminal in Canada (Saint John, NB), I think I like this idea but would like to see the details (ie if there are exemptions available, etc).  I wonder if it will be like St Thomas where the ship is not even allowed to dock if there are unvaccinated passengers, or if unvaccinated passengers will not be let off the ship.

Just now, orville99 said:

Only a matter of time before this line of reasoning becomes globally adopted.

Exactly.   I think anyone wanting to travel to any country other then their own needs to just go get vaccinated.  As more and more countries adopt this approach the cruise lines won’t have anywhere to stop unless they sale with only vaccinated guests.  

I’m guessing the Canadian rules will exempt kids as they can’t be vaccinated. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Canadianmama3 said:

Exactly.   I think anyone wanting to travel to any country other then their own needs to just go get vaccinated.  As more and more countries adopt this approach the cruise lines won’t have anywhere to stop unless they sale with only vaccinated guests.  

This was in the CBC article:

Starting soon, all commercial air travellers and passengers on interprovincial trains and large marine vessels with overnight accommodations (such as cruise ships) will have to be vaccinated, Alghabra said. He said accommodations will be made for "those few who are unable to be vaccinated," such as testing and screening."

Federal government to require vaccinations for all federal public servants, air and train passengers | CBC News

16 minutes ago, Canadianmama3 said:

Here in the U.S. the expectation is that EUA will be extended for both Pfizer and Moderna vaccines to ages 5-11 sometime this year. The FDA just requested that Moderna double the number of participants in its pediatric clinical trials from 800 to 1600, and Pfizer has applied to get its pediatric trial results reviewed by the FDA

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Canadianmama3 said:

Canada has just announced that they will be making vaccines mandatory for travellers by air, interprovincial trains and cruise ships.   So any travellers on a cruise that leaves from or stops in Canada will be required to be vaccinated.  

https://www.cp24.com/mobile/news/canada-mandating-covid-19-vaccination-for-all-federal-workers-airline-passengers-by-oct-2021-1.5546070

This is fantastic news and hope that other countries (looking at you, USA) quickly adopt the same requirements.  Would be great to have global standards for travel rather than different and constantly changing requirements.  

• Like 16

15 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Here in the U.S. the expectation is that EUA will be extended for both Pfizer and Moderna vaccines to ages 5-11 sometime this year. The FDA just requested that Moderna double the number of participants in its pediatric clinical trials from 800 to 1600, and Pfizer has applied to get its pediatric trial results reviewed by the FDA

Yep.  I’ve heard they expect to approve it for kids that age by the end of the year here as well.  I was just saying that I would expect any groups who can’t be vaccinated (right now kids) would be exempt.  

7 minutes ago, Canadianmama3 said:

I would expect any groups who can’t be vaccinated (right now kids) would be exempt.  

The key word in this statement (with which I agree entirely) is "can't". IMHO, replacing "can't" with "won't" doesn't pass muster.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, orville99 said:

The key word in this statement (with which I agree entirely) is "can't". IMHO, replacing "can't" with "won't" doesn't pass muster.

They have made it clear exemptions are only for those who “can’t”.  So for example kids (for now), medical or religious reasons.  

12 minutes ago, Canadianmama3 said:

They have made it clear exemptions are only for those who “can’t”.  So for example kids (for now), medical or religious reasons.  

While I think there are legitimate reasons to be exempt for medical or religious reasons, I certainly hope they don't let just anyone claim these exemptions - especially the religious one - way too easy for an anti vaxxer to suddenly become a convert and claim a religious exemption.  

I have a friend and probably a couple of family members who won't hesitate to say they belong to a religious organization that prohibits vaccinations simply because they don't  want to get the vaccine.

Edited by mek
  • Like 11

5 minutes ago, mek said:

While I think there are legitimate reasons to be exempt for medical or religious reasons, I certainly hope they don't let just anyone claim these exemptions - especially the religious one - way too easy for an anti vaxxer to suddenly become a convert and claim a religious exemption.  

I have a friend and probably a couple of family members who won't hesitate to say they belong to a religious organization that prohibits vaccinations simply because they don't  want to get the vaccine.

I would expect them to require some sort of documentation.   And you are pretty stupid if you lie about that to customs officials.  If they suspect you aren’t being truthful you could be banned from ever travelling to that country again.  

Edited by Canadianmama3
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Canadianmama3 said:

I would expect them to require some sort of documentation.   And you are pretty stupid if you lie about that to customs officials.  If they suspect you aren’t being truthful you could be banned from ever travelling to that country again.  

Maybe...... but we are having some concerts in our area over the next few weeks and it was announced on the news last night that people will either have to show proof of vaccinations or a negative Covid test to attend.  Want to bet how many fake vac cards will be used for that? 

3 minutes ago, mek said:

Maybe...... but we are having some concerts in our area over the next few weeks and it was announced on the news last night that people will either have to show proof of vaccinations or a negative Covid test to attend.  Want to bet how many fake vac cards will be used for that? 

Canada for one isn’t playing games. People are being hit with $16,000 USD fine for trying to use fake vaccine documentation. 

• Like 11

6 minutes ago, zekekelso said:

Canada for one isn’t playing games. People are being hit with $16,000 USD fine for trying to use fake vaccine documentation. 

I'm not sure what Canada's look like, but ours are simply a white heavy paper card.  No way when thousands are going through an entrance to an event is anyone going to question if they are legit or not.

It may be easier to spot them for travel, but until we have something like a vaccine passport, it will be difficult to control here in the US.

1 hour ago, orville99 said:

The FDA just requested that Moderna double the number of participants in its pediatric clinical trials from 800 to 1600

1600 is way too few. Pfizer's 3600 was way too few as it didn't catch the heart issues kids are getting from it.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, mek said:

I'm not sure what Canada's look like, but ours are simply a white heavy paper card.  No way when thousands are going through an entrance to an event is anyone going to question if they are legit or not.

It may be easier to spot them for travel, but until we have something like a vaccine passport, it will be difficult to control here in the US.

The mere mention of vaccine passport has some people running screaming down the street with their hair on fire, but I see it as an essential standardized, easily verifiable form of documentation for international travel. There is nothing wrong with that.

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Canadianmama3 said:

Canada cruise season is a long way away

29 minutes ago, mek said:

Every province is different.  I am in New Brunswick and it is a 8.5x11 sheet.  Definitely overkill - I wish it was just a paper card.  We have then in a plastic folder now for our B2B2B starting next week.  These are as valuable as passports at this point

DE5C830A-EECF-4E39-88C4-17823D54DE02.jpeg

A961AEFE-5E51-4548-A754-4D8E0A22A5CC.jpeg

Edited by JessyCruises

39 minutes ago, mek said:

They are working on a federal vaccine passport to be used for travel.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Canadianmama3 said:

They are working on a federal vaccine passport to be used for travel.  

While I think a vaccine passport will at some point be required for US citizens, if for no other reason than it will be a requirement to enter another country - much like a visa, it's probably not going to happen for everyday life here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, mek said:

While I think a vaccine passport will at some point be required for US citizens, if for no other reason than it will be a requirement to enter another country - much like a visa, it's probably not going to happen for everyday life here.

I can believe that. It's hard enough to get 10 provinces and three territories to agree on something that a large percentage of the population wants.

I can't imagine getting all 50 states and your 14 territories to agree on this. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mek said:

I know from crossing the border lots before COVID that Border guards from both sides will send you in if they are not satisfied with your documentation.  If you have a fake vaccine passport, there may be a good chance that you will get caught.