Having a great time on board Millennium

schittenden

36 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I agree.... I'm probably wrong and shouldn't be quoting what people are posting unless I can verify.   It seemed logical as they knew who I was when I walked into the terminal and was able to use facial recognition when clearing customs.

It's used much more than we know.  If they want to look at my mug that's fine.  More than I want to do most mornings.

Excursion update. We’re on the bus waiting to depart for our Evening Whale Watching and Alaska Culinary Experience tour. Although we were told on our last bus excursion that Celebrity required an empty row around us and reserved seats at the front of the bus, there are no such accommodations on this bus (identical to the first one). All the seats are filled, there were no reserved seats, and we are in the last row of the bus. So, either Celebrity’s COVID protocols are not being followed or Celebrity’s requirements are flexible when the opportunity for extra revenue arises. 

On the plus side, the couple one row up and across the aisle are both hacking up a lung. 

We were told when we boarded the bus that there would be a reserved seating area for us on the whale watching ship. That is not true. There is no place on the ship reserved for us. A second bus also arrived at the dock and boarded the whale watching boat as well. Not clear if that’s a second bus from our ship or from the Holland America ship that is currently docked in Juneau. I’m hoping not. That ship is currently operating in a CDC Orange status, while the Millennium is green. 

Many thanks for your pix of the Endicott Arm excursion. We will be on that little boat on September 13.

Good to know that lunch may not be available when we get back aboard the Millennium, so we can plan ahead for eating in Juneau.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, schittenden said:

Excursion update. We’re on the bus waiting to depart for our Evening Whale Watching and Alaska Culinary Experience tour. Although we were told on our last bus excursion that Celebrity required an empty row around us and reserved seats at the front of the bus, there are no such accommodations on this bus (identical to the first one). All the seats are filled, there were no reserved seats, and we are in the last row of the bus. So, either Celebrity’s COVID protocols are not being followed or Celebrity’s requirements are flexible when the opportunity for extra revenue arises. 

On the plus side, the couple one row up and across the aisle are both hacking up a lung. 

If you haven't already done so, I suggest informing the Shore Excursion manager that the tour providers are not adhering to the protocols.  

Your photos bring me back to our trips to Alaska...amazing!

Edited by megfla
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, megfla said:

If you haven't already done so, I suggest informing the Shore Excursion manager that the tour providers are not adhering to the protocols.  

Yes, please! We want cruising to succeed. Practicing mitigation measures and protocols will help make that happen. Ignoring them might make the "Me, Me, Me" folks happy, but it increases the chances of spreading this awful virus. 

• Like 4

18 hours ago, schittenden said:

The only real downside (other than cost) is that we arrived back on the ship at 1:57 pm.  At that point, the dining room is closed for lunch and the buffet closes at 2:00 pm.  That leaves few options for lunch, which you are ready to eat having had breakfast before departing early in the morning.  (This was more problematic for us because, as I've mentioned, we are not allowed off the ship other than on a Celebrity Excursion because my under-12 son is unvaccinated.  As a result, we cannot disembark in Juneau to buy lunch.)  

It's shameful that Celebrity has no late meal options for parents with children who are too young to be vaccinated. Thanks for warning us about this. I hope you were able to find something to eat.

Isn't the pool grill (burgers/hot dogs) open all afternoon? Also I think the Sushi restaurant is also an option per the app.  Add in room service and at least there are a few options on the ship at 2 pm.  (Will be doing the same excursion on the next cruise, so checked the app for options)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sherylc said:

Isn't the pool grill (burgers/hot dogs) open all afternoon? Also I think the Sushi restaurant is also an option per the app.  Add in room service and at least there are a few options on the ship at 2 pm.  (Will be doing the same excursion on the next cruise, so checked the app for options)

Are these options open to unvaccinated children?

I haven't seen any restrictions on Celebrity related to unvaccinated children and access to all parts of the ship (except perhaps some spa services and the Solarium most of the time based solely on age). Only RCCL seems to have vaccinated vs unvaccinated venues. 

• Thanks 1

Good day to all!

Back on July 18, CruiseCritic member "seacruise9" was aboard the Summit (or had recently left the ship).  He/she posted the following comment (below which we will ask a question about the Millennium) ...

"The Oceanview Cafe is vastly improved. I have cruised on this class of ship in the past: Millennium in 2001, Summit in 2010 and Constellation in 2013. This space was completely redesigned and looks great. There are many different food 'islands' rather than one large counter. Note that there are different offerings on each side of the buffet. Be sure to check both sides. There was a large diagram on the wall when you enter the room that provides an overview of the layout.  Also, the seating area was expanded. Some of the bays extending over the side of the ship were joined during the refurbishment to enlarge the seating area. The windows in the floor of the bay areas have been removed."  [end of quotation from seacruise9]

We would like to ask you (schittenden) -- or anyone else who has been aboard Millennium since the "grand re-start" -- if "Millie" has been re-configured as the Summit was, with "islands" that are like those on Solstice-class ships.  We ask because we are not "fans" of the old-fashioned, straight-line, cafeteria style buffets.

Thanks, in advance.

Edited by jg51

schittenden....your descriptions of your arrival are phenomenal.  You really make Alaska sound magical, and then you show these stunning pictures!!!   I guess it really must be!!.

It's a shame there are so many "special people" who feel they don't have to follow protocol.  Shame on them!

Thank you for sharing your cruise with us.  Enjoy the rest of your trip!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Silkroad said:

Are these options open to unvaccinated children?

I don't know about the Sushi restaurant, but I can't imagine the pool grill would be off-limits as it is outside.  Worst case one of the parents go and bring the food back to the cabin.  Also, agree that room service is always an option.  I don't know how/if it is currently being done, but I know in the past there was often a small selection of sandwiches at the buffet even after the official closing time for just this reason.  But I don't know if that is true now.  

1 hour ago, briguy1314 said:

For our few who are on currently, did they make any announcements on board? 

I hope not. Announcing positives on board as they happen was the dumbest post covid policy decision X has made. Given the lack of recent reports of this, it would appear that this practice has stopped.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RichYak said:

I hope not. Announcing positives on board as they happen was the dumbest post covid policy decision X has made. Given the lack of recent reports of this, it would appear that this practice has stopped.

Well there hasn’t been any noted cases since the CDC has indicated the ship was green. But I do believe they are still announcing this as standard across the line (and other lines) 

2 minutes ago, briguy1314 said:

Well there hasn’t been any noted cases since the CDC has indicated the ship was green. But I do believe they are still announcing this as standard across the line (and other lines) 

Millennium is currently yellow.

19 hours ago, megfla said:

Your photos bring me back to our trips to Alaska...amazing!

I plan to, but have not yet. It’s not clear to me what the protocols are exactly. Given that celebrity sold every seat on the bus for our whale watching excursion, I don’t see how they could expect the operator to provide an empty row for distancing.