Viking Health & Safety Program

Mitina

Plenty of discussion and debate re. Viking's program on the LIVE Iceland topic, so hopefully it can be redirected elsewhere.  In that context, has Viking's website changed the wording from 'daily testing' to 'frequent' on their Viking Health & Safety Program page?

"Frequent quick and easy non-invasive saliva PCR tests for all guests and crew, processed in full-scale Viking-dedicated laboratories"

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Mitina said:

Plenty of discussion and debate re. Viking's program on the LIVE Iceland topic, so hopefully it can be redirected elsewhere.  In that context, has Viking's website changed the wording from 'daily testing' to 'frequent' on their Viking Health & Safety Program page?

"Frequent quick and easy non-invasive saliva PCR tests for all guests and crew, processed in full-scale Viking-dedicated laboratories"

Thank you for starting this thread.  It makes sense to have a separate thread for Viking's Safety Program discussion.  Although I think this is a relevant topic and should be a concern for all Viking cruisers, especially the one going to Iceland and Malta, this discussion may distract from the upbeats and fun news from the current sailings.  I understand.

Back to the Viking Health & Safety Program, interesting observation.  However, I wonder if Viking changed "daily" to "frequent" recently? Or, it always has been "frequent" and we just interpreted that as daily testing.  I really don't remember.  

Last week on Viking Star UK Seacation it was a saliva test every day, tube had to be filled to 2 ml line, also a daily health questionnaire, four questions to submit on paper form or via the phone app. The last day we were give a certificate to give a result for the PCR test done on the penultimate day.

3 hours ago, Mitina said:

Since the Health & Safety program was published online, I believe it has always stated "frequent" testing, with the actual practice being daily.

The actual policy document, which will be integral to the Safety Management System states "periodically, at the discretion of Viking". This is consistent with SMS I developed/worked with, as it allows the Master some latitude to adjust to changing situations, without the company initiating the SMS change procedure, every time they altered the frequency of testing.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, sleepybobo said:

Thank you for starting this thread.  It makes sense to have a separate thread for Viking's Safety Program discussion.  Although I think this is a relevant topic and should be a concern for all Viking cruisers, especially the one going to Iceland and Malta, this discussion may distract from the upbeats and fun news from the current sailings.  I understand.

Back to the Viking Health & Safety Program, interesting observation.  However, I wonder if Viking changed "daily" to "frequent" recently? Or, it always has been "frequent" and we just interpreted that as daily testing.  I really don't remember.  

It has always been frequent, never daily.

Thanks so much for making a separate thread!  I’ve been wanting to ask a question about this, but didn’t want to add to the thread drift in some of the other threads.

So here’s my question:  What ultimately happens to the people who are quarantined on Viking ships but never come down with Covid?   Their travel insurance wouldn’t pay anything because they weren’t actually sick.  Doesn’t the contract with Viking say that they will refund the portion of the trip that the passenger was quarantined?  That’s how I read it, but it seems like certain people who were in this actual situation are still waiting to hear back from Viking as to whether they will be compensated. So now I’m feeling less sure. 

My wife and I have booked the Mediterranean Odyssey tour for March and I’m trying to understand the “worst case scenario.”  

Thanks!

9 minutes ago, Eggtuary said:

Thanks so much for making a separate thread!  I’ve been wanting to ask a question about this, but didn’t want to add to the thread drift in some of the other threads.

So here’s my question:  What ultimately happens to the people who are quarantined on Viking ships but never come down with Covid?   Their travel insurance wouldn’t pay anything because they weren’t actually sick.  Doesn’t the contract with Viking say that they will refund the portion of the trip that the passenger was quarantined?  That’s how I read it, but it seems like certain people who were in this actual situation are still waiting to hear back from Viking as to whether they will be compensated. So now I’m feeling less sure. 

My wife and I have booked the Mediterranean Odyssey tour for March and I’m trying to understand the “worst case scenario.”  

Thanks!

Aren’t we all? Good question! We couldn’t get an answer from Viking for the Malta/Adriatic cruises. 

1 hour ago, Eggtuary said:

Thanks!

I'll suggest it is impossible to provide a definitive answer, as while Viking may have guidelines, they must also comply with the requirements of the local health authorities of each country visited. The local health authoritiy standards take priority over Viking standards.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

I'll suggest it is impossible to provide a definitive answer, as while Viking may have guidelines, they must also comply with the requirements of the local health authorities of each country visited. The local health authoritiy standards take priority over Viking standards.

Right, I get that. But what I’m specifically wondering is why the folks who have been quarantined are posting here that they are unsure whether they are getting any refund or credit toward a future cruise.  Viking’s policy seems to state pretty clearly that these passengers are entitled to such. Then again, I see in here that Viking can deny such compensation if they determine the quarantined individuals were out of compliance with the COVID policy. So perhaps the delay is just while Viking investigates to determine if non-compliance was a contributing factor?

Here’s the section of the contract I’m referencing, though I will admit I am no lawyer:

”If, after embarkation, you have a case of COVID-19 or other communicable disease which is confirmed by a medical test and you are disembarked, refused reboarding, or quarantined as a result, unless we determine that you have failed to comply with our COVID-19 Policies and Procedures or this Ticket Contract and subject to your providing verification satisfactory to us of results of any tests administered by providers other than those retained by us, you will be entitled to a refund of the amount you paid to us as Cruise Fare prorated to the time of the disembarkation, refusal to reboard or quarantine or, at your election, you will be entitled to a future cruise credit equal in value to the amount of such prorated refund. If, after embarkation, we, in our sole discretion, suspect you may be infected with COVID-19 or other communicable disease and you are disembarked, refused reboarding
or quarantined as a result, unless we determine that you have failed to comply with our COVID-19 Policies and Procedures or this Ticket Contract, you will be entitled to a future cruise credit equal in value to the amount you paid to us as Cruise Fare prorated to the time of the disembarkation, refusal to reboard or quarantine. If, after embarkation, you are disembarked, refused reboarding or quarantined because of a confirmed or suspected case of COVID-19 or other communicable disease, we shall have no other liability for any other compensation or other damages whatsoever, including but not limited to compensation for lodging, travel, or medical care.”

6 hours ago, Eggtuary said:

Right, I get that. But what I’m specifically wondering is why the folks who have been quarantined are posting here that they are unsure whether they are getting any refund or credit toward a future cruise.  Viking’s policy seems to state pretty clearly that these passengers are entitled to such. Then again, I see in here that Viking can deny such compensation if they determine the quarantined individuals were out of compliance with the COVID policy. So perhaps the delay is just while Viking investigates to determine if non-compliance was a contributing factor?

Here’s the section of the contract I’m referencing, though I will admit I am no lawyer:

”If, after embarkation, you have a case of COVID-19 or other communicable disease which is confirmed by a medical test and you are disembarked, refused reboarding, or quarantined as a result, unless we determine that you have failed to comply with our COVID-19 Policies and Procedures or this Ticket Contract and subject to your providing verification satisfactory to us of results of any tests administered by providers other than those retained by us, you will be entitled to a refund of the amount you paid to us as Cruise Fare prorated to the time of the disembarkation, refusal to reboard or quarantine or, at your election, you will be entitled to a future cruise credit equal in value to the amount of such prorated refund. If, after embarkation, we, in our sole discretion, suspect you may be infected with COVID-19 or other communicable disease and you are disembarked, refused reboarding
or quarantined as a result, unless we determine that you have failed to comply with our COVID-19 Policies and Procedures or this Ticket Contract, you will be entitled to a future cruise credit equal in value to the amount you paid to us as Cruise Fare prorated to the time of the disembarkation, refusal to reboard or quarantine. If, after embarkation, you are disembarked, refused reboarding or quarantined because of a confirmed or suspected case of COVID-19 or other communicable disease, we shall have no other liability for any other compensation or other damages whatsoever, including but not limited to compensation for lodging, travel, or medical care.”

To be eligible for a pro-rated refund, as a FCC, those identified as close-contacts must have complied with the COVID Policy and the general Ticket Contract. In addition, those that test positive must also provide satisfactory verification of any required test.

I suggest it is reasonable that Viking employ due diligence in verifying each passenger's compliance, which may take some time. A couple of years ago, DW had a medical claim on our travel insurance and it took them 3-months to complete their due diligence and approve the claim.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

To be eligible for a pro-rated refund, as a FCC, those identified as close-contacts must have complied with the COVID Policy and the general Ticket Contract. In addition, those that test positive must also provide satisfactory verification of any required test.

I suggest it is reasonable that Viking employ due diligence in verifying each passenger's compliance, which may take some time. A couple of years ago, DW had a medical claim on our travel insurance and it took them 3-months to complete their due diligence and approve the claim.

This is helpful. Once again, your insight gives me even more hope that Viking will make things right in the end for the pax I mentioned above. If true, that would mean we are simply hearing the (understandable) frustration of the folks who are caught in the necessary temporary limbo as Viking researches their claims. From everything else I’ve read, it certainly appears that Viking works hard to be very fair with their customers and keep them happy. 

Thanks!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Eggtuary said:

This is helpful. Once again, your insight gives me even more hope that Viking will make things right in the end for the pax I mentioned above. If true, that would mean we are simply hearing the (understandable) frustration of the folks who are caught in the necessary temporary limbo as Viking researches their claims. From everything else I’ve read, it certainly appears that Viking works hard to be very fair with their customers and keep them happy. 

Thanks!

The best example I can provide regarding how Viking looks after the customer was the 19/20 WC. Due to the onset of COVID and unrest in Hong Kong, the cruise itinerary was significantly fluid, with lots of changes and then compounded by ports that wouldn't let us dock.

Before Bali, Viking provided the option of a pro-rated refund for anybody that wanted to disembark, at any port. For those that opted to disembark, they arranged flights, regardless of whether you used Viking Air, or booked your own flights. In Dubai, when the cruise was officially terminated, Viking again arranged flights for everyone, booking a charter flight for the remaining approx 90 N/American pax, once Emirates ceased operations. Unfortunately, 8 of us were Canadians and the US banned us from landing at a US airport, so we remained onboard for another 3 weeks, being treated like royalty.

When providing compensation, Viking went way above and beyond the requirements of the Passenger Contract. Due to the initial itinerary changes, they provided a FCC for about 30% of what we paid for the entire cruise. In addition, as the cruise was eventually cancelled, they provided an additional refund for the days missed. We disembarked in Gibraltar, only missing about 20 days, but Viking advised the cruise was officially cancelled in Dubai, so our refund was based on Dubai, which was about 50 days.

Compare our experience to the HAL WC pax, who departed Ft Lauderdale the same day we departed San Pedro. Upon arrival Freemantle, HAL cancelled the cruise. Pax with HAL Air were provided with flights home, but those without HAL Air had to make their own arrangements.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Eggtuary said:

Thanks!

In the UK you can take out an enhanced cruise insurance policy which will cover you for being confined to you cabin by the ships doctor. I assume quarantine would fall under this. The annual amount on my policy is an extra £40 and it covers £150 per 24 hour confined.

Edited by JessM66
  • Like 1