Covid Testing before Boarding

This was asked earlier and it was a good question.  I called MSC this morning and got a very knowledgeable representative on the phone.  She said that Covid testing must be taken 72 hours from the time of the ship's departure time, NOT check in time.  So, if you need to test it is something you might want to take into consideration.  

Happy Sailing!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This is a significant change for those identified as Fully Vaccinated.  I read the US website protocol for Bahamas and Caribbean itineraries this morning.  Cutoff for revision is voyages sailing before or after August 27, 2021.

• Thanks 1

Pre-Cruise Requirements for Fully Vaccinated:

NEGATIVE TEST REQUIRED: For cruises departing on or after August 27, 2021, all guests age 2 and older – regardless of vaccination status – must provide documentation of a negative COVID-19 test at the pier. The test must be taken no more than 3 days before arriving at the terminal for embarkation and the guest is responsible for the test and cost. Fully vaccinated guests must provide either a negative RT-PCR test, negative NAAT or negative antigen test.

1 hour ago, 9876 said:

This was asked earlier and it was a good question.  I called MSC this morning and got a very knowledgeable representative on the phone.  She said that Covid testing must be taken 72 hours from the time of the ship's departure time, NOT check in time.  So, if you need to test it is something you might want to take into consideration.  

Happy Sailing!

Can anyone who has cruised verify if they check down to the hour or is it just the day? If you are sailing Friday, is Tue ok for the test or do you need it Tue *after* your departure time on Fri?

It's crazy it has to be this complicated...

Just now, logan25 said:

Pre-Cruise Requirements for Fully Vaccinated:

NEGATIVE TEST REQUIRED: For cruises departing on or after August 27, 2021, all guests age 2 and older – regardless of vaccination status – must provide documentation of a negative COVID-19 test at the pier. The test must be taken no more than 3 days before arriving at the terminal for embarkation and the guest is responsible for the test and cost. Fully vaccinated guests must provide either a negative RT-PCR test, negative NAAT or negative antigen test.

This is what you would expect...3 days...but in the cruise docs it says this:

The test must be
taken no later than 72 hours from your departure and the guest is
responsible for the test and cost.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, logan25 said:

I don’t sail for a month yet.  Hopefully such inconsistencies will not be an issue for long.

I'm vaxxed and going with my daughter and her boyfriend (they are in a separate cabin). Both of them are vaxxed too, but the bf is getting his second shot tomorrow and sails Friday...so won't meet the 14 day window so needs to follow the unvaxxed rules.

So trying to help them navigate all of this...

It's not clear which sailings this post applies to, so I assume it's US ones. We just got our cruise tickets from MSC on the 12th, and only unvaccinated guests must show proof of a negative Covid test taken no more than 48 hours before ship departure. IOW vaccinated guests do NOT have to show this, only their CDC vaccination card (paper or electronic). That being said, EVERYONE (guests, crew and visitors) will be subject to temperature checks and a rapid Covid test at embarkation. Our MSC cruise is in Italy. Because we are a bit overly concerned due to varying protocols (Italy vs MSC), we plan to get tested the day before we leave as a precaution.

2 hours ago, 9876 said:

She said that Covid testing must be taken 72 hours from the time of the ship's departure time, NOT check in time.  So, if you need to test it is something you might want to take into consideration.

The email that went out changed the wording from 72 hours to 3 days prior to sailing. So now I’m wondering if this will allow a bit more flexibility with the timing of the testing. 

1 hour ago, alyssamma said:

I'm vaxxed and going with my daughter and her boyfriend (they are in a separate cabin). Both of them are vaxxed too, but the bf is getting his second shot tomorrow and sails Friday...so won't meet the 14 day window so needs to follow the unvaxxed rules.

According to the recently released update for US sailings, EVERYBODY, including vaccinated people, must have a Covid test within 3 days before the cruise. Main difference is that vaccinated can do PCR / NAAT or Antigen, while unvaccinated must do PCR / NAAT specifically. 

9 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

It's not clear which sailings this post applies to, so I assume it's US ones.

The email that I received is for US sailings, but I’d keep an eye on changes to protocols for other sailings outside the US as well. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tapi said:

The email that went out changed the wording from 72 hours to 3 days prior to sailing. So now I’m wondering if this will allow a bit more flexibility with the timing of the testing. 

According to the recently released update for US sailings, EVERYBODY, including vaccinated people, must have a Covid test within 3 days before the cruise. Main difference is that vaccinated can do PCR / NAAT or Antigen, while unvaccinated must do PCR / NAAT specifically. 

The email that I received is for US sailings, but I’d keep an eye on changes to protocols for other sailings outside the US as well. 

Yeah, like many things these days, change is the only constant. That's why we're getting tested on the 25th, we fly to Italy the 26th. According to the State Dept, it only has to be 3 calendar days before departure. Italy doesn't require proof of a negative test for fully vaccinated people, whereas MSC essentially does (done at the port). I have no idea if MSC will change its guidance between today and our sail date (Aug 28), but anything is possible. ANYTHING.

16 minutes ago, Tapi said:

Where did you see this? I just checked again and can't find that on the website.

I do see for US pax sailing in Europe...but not for the Caribbean.

10 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Yeah, like many things these days, change is the only constant. That's why we're getting tested on the 25th, we fly to Italy the 26th. According to the State Dept, it only has to be 3 calendar days before departure. Italy doesn't require proof of a negative test for fully vaccinated people, whereas MSC essentially does (done at the port). I have no idea if MSC will change its guidance between today and our sail date (Aug 28), but anything is possible. ANYTHING.

The text copied above is from the website under the section on health & safety measures, in the section specifically about The Bahamas and Caribbean.  I scheduled two test, one at 70.5 hours before my boarding time and another at 46.5 hours before my boarding time.  Hopefully, one of those will work, as my nose is getting sore from all of that poking!  🤣

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, alyssamma said:

Where did you see this? I just checked again and can't find that on the website.

I do see for US pax sailing in Europe...but not for the Caribbean.

Just checked the MSC site and looked at Health and Safety at top of page.

The language has indeed changed.

The only difference I can see between vaccinated and non vaccinated is the use  antigen (rapid) testing prior to arrival at pier for fully vaxed passengers.  At passengers expense. 
MSC must be getting concerned with Covid numbers increasing .

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, alyssamma said:

The information was contained in an email that I received from MSC this morning concerning Miami and Port Canaveral departures.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Fredric22 said:

It is unclear if testing will STILL be required at the pier if you are vaccinated and arrive with the negative test result. 

Interesting. I just went back on the website to reread the entire wording. For cruises before August 27th, the antigen test given at the port is still showing as a requirement, but it’s been removed for both vaccinated and unvaccinated guests for cruises after August 27th.

It makes it sound like no tests will be administered at the port. Wonder if it’s an oversight or if that’s what the intent truly is. We’ll find out with the next update! 

Edited by Tapi

Strange we’re sailing out of Port Canaveral on Nov 14th but I haven’t received an email about this.

We will be in Sarasota for a week before we board so I guess we’ll have to schedule a test there even though we’re fully vaccinated. 

3 hours ago, 9876 said:

I called MSC this morning and got a very knowledgeable representative on the phone.  She said that Covid testing must be taken 72 hours from the time of the ship's departure time, NOT check in time. 

I just spoke with a friend who owns

a travel agency in Miami. He spoke to his MSC USA liaison this morning and she told him that the requirement is now 3 calendar days, not 72 hours from the time of ship’s departure. I hope that the information is correct, otherwise there will be a lot of unhappy cruisers if they’re turned away at the port over a technicality miscommunication. 

• Like 1

Wow...thank god we have cruise critic because MSC won't tell us anything. Here is the exact wording:

I'm cruising this Friday so it won't apply to me, but I got tested today anyway...can't fly to FL and test positive at the pier (I know, there is still a slight chance).

Then, for boarding...

Cruises departing before August 27, 2021 TEST REQUIRED UPON EMBARKATION: You will be required to take a rapid antigen test at the pier prior to embarkation (covered by MSC Cruises) and test negative.

If you test positive, you will be denied boarding along with any/all not fully vaccinated members of your traveling party. If anyone in your traveling party is fully vaccinated and non-symptomatic, they will be permitted to board.

Cruises departing on or after August 27, 2021 PROOF OF VACCINE & NEGATIVE RESULT: Your negative RT-PCR, NAAT test result or antigen test AND your CDC vaccination card must be shown at embarkation or boarding will be denied.

But no non-vax, there is no mention of testing at the pier...so I'm wondering if now you bring a neg test result you can skip the test at the pier?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tapi said:

Interesting. I just went back on the website to reread the entire wording. For cruises before August 27th, the antigen test given at the port is still showing as a requirement, but it’s been removed for both vaccinated and unvaccinated guests for cruises after August 27th.

It makes it sound like no tests will be administered at the port. Wonder if it’s an oversight or if that’s what the intent truly is. We’ll find out with the next update! 

Tapi, I just did the same.  Rereading Prior and at Embarkation, before August 27 has specific protocols.

you are correct.

After August 27, looks like self tested, fully vaccinated passengers will be allowed to board with the documentation of test results and vaccination card.

Wonder if MSC is responding to anxiety of fully vaxed testing positive at pier and not being allowed to board. OR

They no longer want to incur the cost of testing  ALL prior to embarkation.

• Like 3

I’m eating at Panda Express while I read this thread on Cruise Critic, trying not to stress too much about the latest protocol change. Then I opened my fortune cookie and this is what it says. Hope it’s a good sign! 😂

52986B1C-2E6F-4365-9FAF-9051E4EE7DFB.jpeg

• Like 4

Just now, Tapi said:

I’m eating at Panda Express while I read this thread on Cruise Critic, trying not to stress too much about the latest protocol change. Then I opened my fortune cookie and this is what it says. Hope it’s a good sign! 😂

52986B1C-2E6F-4365-9FAF-9051E4EE7DFB.jpeg

LOVE THIS!  Reminds us all to take a breath and keep an eye on the prize.

• Like 2

Tried to call MSC to get more info. The rep wouldn't tell me anything and just said I needed to look at the website. You really have to love MSC.

If anyone else can get a helpful rep, I'd be interested to know if you show up w/a neg test if they still test you at the pier.

16 minutes ago, phissy said:

Tapi, I just did the same.  Rereading Prior and at Embarkation, before August 27 has specific protocols.

you are correct.

After August 27, looks like self tested, fully vaccinated passengers will be allowed to board with the documentation of test results and vaccination card.

Wonder if MSC is responding to anxiety of fully vaxed testing positive at pier and not being allowed to board. OR

They no longer want to incur the cost of testing  ALL prior to embarkation.

This makes perfect sense and I prefer it actually. Way less stressful.

We fly into Miami on Thursday morning and sail on Saturday. So testing on Wednesday should work.

• Like 3