Amsterdam overnight - Port or Starboard cabin for best view?

slippery

We are looking at booking on V209N in April next year which includes an overnight in Amsterdam. Can anyone advise which side of the ship is best for views of the city? I would assume that the ship berths port side to the quay but do appreciate that this is not always the case.

Thanks

The last time we were docked in Amsterdam overnight, it was berthed starboard side.

I really don't remember any great view. It was quite near the railway station. Best get yourselves into the city centre. It should be walking distance.

Edited by BigMac1953
got mixed up
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, BigMac1953 said:

The last time we were docked in Amsterdam overnight, it was berthed starboard side.

I really don't remember any great view. It was quite near the railway station. Best get yourselves into the city centre. It should be walking distance.

Thanks so much for your advice. Exactly what I was looking for!

Looks like starboard side is the way she will berth.

To be honest I have been to Amsterdam so many times that I really don't need to go in to the city. Seriously, we have "done" Amsterdam many times over. It's still a magnificent city and yes, of course we will go ashore, but we always view the ship as the destination and love being on board when everybody leaves to go on excursions.

Thanks again

• Like 1

We have been overnight in Amsterdam 4 times. The view is basically a load of office blocks. You can't see the city from the ship. I think we have moored both ways around, but I really wouldn't worry, you can't see anything of interest. You can see the other side of the river but there is only normal houses there.

53 minutes ago, Camgirl said:

We have been overnight in Amsterdam 4 times. The view is basically a load of office blocks. You can't see the city from the ship. I think we have moored both ways around, but I really wouldn't worry, you can't see anything of interest. You can see the other side of the river but there is only normal houses there.

Thanks For the advice.

Knowing the area quite well but not exactly where the ship docks, I assumed that the view would be reasonable. Ah well.

Thanks again.

We were starboardside docked on QE's 31 December 2016 overnight call to Amsterdam.  But as @Camgirlindicates, the view isn't that great.  Our weather was low cloud and wintertime cold drizzle, which didn't help much.  We had a great time in the city anyway, and an even better time at the next port of Bruges on 2 January 2017.

• Thanks 1

Have Cunard and P&O now reverted back to docking in Amsterdam Central  , since they boycotted the extra passenger tax imposed by the Amsterdam authorities ? The ships before  covid  had started to use the docking facilities at Ijmuiden some 28Km (34min travelling by coach) away from Amsterdam Central.

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news-headlines/carnival-uk-switches-amsterdam-calls-ijmuiden

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LifeonMars said:

Have Cunard and P&O now reverted back to docking in Amsterdam Central  , since they boycotted the extra passenger tax imposed by the Amsterdam authorities ? The ships before  covid  had started to use the docking facilities at Ijmuiden some 28Km (34min travelling by coach) away from Amsterdam Central.

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news-headlines/carnival-uk-switches-amsterdam-calls-ijmuiden

Hard to say for sure, but the Cunard website offers a clue that they might be intending to dock in Amsterdam for future cruises. There are three separate destination pages for Amsterdam on their website.

Amsterdam (tours from Rotterdam), Nether cruises

Amsterdam (from IJmuiden), Netherlands cruises

Amsterdam, Netherlands cruises

For the purposes of this discussion we're only interested in the last two of these pages.

The "Find voyages" link on the "Amsterdam (from IJmuiden), Netherlands cruises" page finds no voyages.

The "Find voyages" link on the "Amsterdam, Netherlands cruises" page finds four voyages including V209N which the OP is asking about.

Now relying on the Cunard website to provide accurate information about a detail such as this could be a fool's errand. Just contributing this as a possible clue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1